Re: How to make a 480fps @ 480Hz video!? [Success!]

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
yhlee

Re: How to make a 480fps @ 480Hz video!? [Success!]

Post by yhlee » 24 Apr 2018, 11:42

Hi all!

I've got my 480 Hz monitor (Ziswork) and is very excited! The next thing I want to do is to make my own 480 Hz video/animation and play it! (To start off, perhaps something like the 480 Hz UFO test? I don't mind play my video through firefox!)

Can anyone suggest a simple method to do that?

Thanks a million!

Best regards,
YH

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How to make a 480 Hz video!?

Post by RealNC » 24 Apr 2018, 12:04

I'm not aware of any capture tools that can capture at 480FPS. In fact, 60FPS seems to be their limit.

To produce a 480FPS video, you'd need to capture 60FPS footage from a game that has a configurable time speed. Source engine games have knobs for this. CS:GO for example. You can configure it to run 8 times slower. You can then capture at 60FPS, and then convert the video to 480FPS which means it plays 8 times faster, which will get you normal speed.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

yhlee

Post by yhlee » 24 Apr 2018, 12:13

Thank you for the comment!

Actually I was thinking about something like, a video made by sequentially playing 8 (or 8xN) selected pictures in loop at 480 Hz.

Any suggestion?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2018, 12:46

I can help if you want to try some UltraHFR experiments!

For UltraHFR camera recording in real life
Get a slomo camera. GoPro 240fps and 480fps works at low-rez. iPhone 240fps works. And then use ffmpeg commands to speed up the videos into real time. Check this article:
Ultra HFR: Real Time 240fps, 480fps and 1000fps on 240Hz, 480Hz, and 1000Hz displays
Very easy to do, just one command after recording a slomo video.

For UltraHFR gameplay videos
RealNC suggestion works great, but not if you want to play in realtime, which makes things much more complicated! I'll need to make a longer post about UltraHFR experimenting with game recording. It requires custom settings and essentially recording screenshots of every frame to an SSD RAID 0. 240 amd 480 screenshots per second is achievable. Then merging this all into a video. Be ready with an SSD RAID 0 though. A single Samsung 960 Pro may work fine. You need something that will not slow down the game when you firehose all those screenshot bitmaps to disk. This is what was done for our 120fps gameplay video. This was the world's first!! Works for 240fps and 480fps too.

Standard workflows (used for 60fps) are not possible so you need a custom workflow.

.mp4 files supports UltraHFR frame rates.

BlurBusters is fostering UltraHFR experiments too, so we shall not ever discourage them around here, full stop :-)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yhlee

Post by yhlee » 24 Apr 2018, 13:03

Hi Chief!

If I only need to loop 8 pictures over and over at 480 Hz (without interruption/drop-frame between each loop), is there any other method to do it (I want to avoid ffmpeg's massive output file size)?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2018, 14:12

Question: Why only 8?

(Vision science is good though)

I have tried looping 4 at www.testufo.com/scanout ....it flickers epileptic at 60Hz but looks like a blended static image at 240Hz.

Lopping only 8 frames at 480fps will make it look 8 superimposed frames (12.5% alphablend). They loop so fast you can't see the motion, as it's repeating the same frame 60 times a second. It looks similar to merging 8 frames of 12.5% transparency into one static frame. So basically it just looks like a static image if frames are repeatin at your flicker fusion threshold. So it looks alpha blended.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yhlee

Post by yhlee » 24 Apr 2018, 14:33

Yes, it's because I want to have it blended as a static image!

I am working on a project with fast-switching lens synchronized with the display to create a depth image at 60 Hz (therefore, 8 depth). We've demonstrated this with 144 and 240 hz display, but it'd be fun to do it on a 480 hz display!

For your reference, the previous work is published in Optics Express: https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstra ... -26-4-4863

Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Apr 2018, 14:56

Sounds intriguing!

Anyway, any decent video editor should allow you to use images as individual frames that you then just copy&paste a lot to duplicate the same 8 frames of the video. You should be able to set the frame rate to 480FPS. Since it's only 8 frames, I doubt you'll get huge file sizes? The video codec should detect that it's the same frames. So just try that approach and see if it works.

(If any video players can actually play that back is another matter...)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

yhlee

Post by yhlee » 24 Apr 2018, 16:21

Thanks!

I am testing ffmpeg now and quickly ran into the problem of playback.

The specific ffmpeg command I used is:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 240 -start_number 1 -i "%01d.png" -t 10 -an out.mp4

where it loads "1.png" through "8.png" and makes a 240 hz video loop until 10 s limit reached.

MPC-HC can play the video about 400 fps tops and it is flicking from time to time (I am using GTX 970). I've also tried VLC and windows media player and tweaking the settings, but it seems they are even slower.

Originally I was thinking about something like the UFO test animation. My PC can view the animation in Firefox at 480 Hz.
Is there an article on how the UFO test animations were made?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2018, 17:26

TestUFO is a copyrighted BlurBusters website. However, I do create custom tests upon private commission. Inquire within at [email protected]

Alternatively, use this jsfiddler to rotate 4 image downloads in one loop:
https://jsfiddle.net/mdrejhon/typ4o6w1/2/
(Easily modified for 8 images from imgur or other image hosting service)

One note, rapid image rotating interacts with 6-bit FRC so you will get some colordepth reduction artifacts, as well as inversion artifacts.