1000fps Dynamic Projection Mapping

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
saw141

1000fps Dynamic Projection Mapping

Post by saw141 » 17 Jan 2019, 19:10

I just found this video and am fascinated by the technology. I was wondering if, and presuming that Mark has seen this. Thought I’d post it here anyway to share it with everyone who hasn’t. This was published 2 years ago and was already very impressive. Certainly makes me wonder about the future applications for these technologies and the successive iterations.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 1000fps Dynamic Projection Mapping

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2019, 20:29

Not all, but I've seen quite a few ultra-high-framerate "reality synchronization" videos, including these so far:

Lumipen: Mobile Dynamic Projection Mapping System Using a 3D-stacked Vision Chip

phpBB [video]

Microsoft Research 1000fps touchscreen

phpBB [video]

NVIDIA 1700Hz zero-lag display experiment

phpBB [video]

NVIDIA 16000Hz augumented reality experiment

phpBB [video]

We need extremely high framerates for synchronization between electronic image and real world. Whether augumented reality, projection mapping, or other synchronization between real images and virtual images. The simplified "Blur Busters Law" formula that I use for motion blur (from my 1000Hz Journey Artcile:

1ms persistence = 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec

Can be translated to physical units:

1ms differential = 1mm of disjoint per 1000mm/sec motion

If you're slowly waving a board at 1 meter per second, a 60Hz refresh rate plus other camera sensor delays and proccessing delays = 100ms processing (like during XBox360 Kinect), you are 100mm out-of-sync -- a full decimeter (4 inches out of sync!)

Now, you can increase camera sensor rate to reduce processing delays, and limit it to refresh rate delay (e.g. 1000fps camera for a 60Hz display), the processing could fall to pretty much 20ms. You're still 20mm out-of-sync - about an inch.

Now, do 1000fps display *and* 1000fps camera sensor, and minimize processing delay, e.g. 2ms, then now disjoint is only 2mm.

Now -- for augumented reality, head turning can be much faster than this, e.g. creating distant objects to move at an "apparent equivalent of over 10 meters/second or 100 meters/second horizontally across your vision") -- so augumented reality can be much more challenging to synchronize than projection mapping. A workaround is simply to use mixed reality instead (e.g. display virtual copies of camera images with the augumented reality graphics overlaid) -- e.g. cameras on VR headsets. That keeps virtual sync strong, and the latency differentials mostly unnoticeable (as long as sufficiently globally low).

Interesting Blur Busters themed topic.
(If anyone know other 1000fps-tracking feats, post the videos here in this thread!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!