[For 120Hz users] Ultrasmooth 120fps Gameplay Videos Thread

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
trey31

Re: [For 120Hz users] Ultrasmooth 120fps Gameplay Videos Thr

Post by trey31 » 28 Dec 2013, 12:22

I'm just going to chime in and say that I loved The Hobbit HFR 3D. Yes I saw it in 2D/24hz and 3D/24hz, in my humble opinion the 3D/48hz was by far the way I prefer to view the film. Yes I know how much negative press it got. And to be honest I absolutely refuse to let that sway my opinion in any way whatsoever. 24 frames on a large screen (theater sizes, especially IMAX) distracts me during panning motion sequences. It takes my focus away from the subject I'm supposed to look at, and draws me to look at the juddering objects, which I then complain about to myself via inner monologue. I usually say things like, "if this were a PC game ported from a console, I'd be pissed..."

Everyone has an opinion, but this one is mine. I respect the other opinions out there (the majority disagree with me obviously) and I'm not at all saying I am right and anyone else is wrong. Only that I prefer the smooth motion of 48hz in film.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 28 Dec 2013, 14:31

trey31 wrote:I'm just going to chime in and say that I loved The Hobbit HFR 3D. Yes I saw it in 2D/24hz and 3D/24hz, in my humble opinion the 3D/48hz was by far the way I prefer to view the film. Yes I know how much negative press it got. And to be honest I absolutely refuse to let that sway my opinion in any way whatsoever. 24 frames on a large screen (theater sizes, especially IMAX) distracts me during panning motion sequences. It takes my focus away from the subject I'm supposed to look at, and draws me to look at the juddering objects, which I then complain about to myself via inner monologue. I usually say things like, "if this were a PC game ported from a console, I'd be pissed..."

Everyone has an opinion, but this one is mine. I respect the other opinions out there (the majority disagree with me obviously) and I'm not at all saying I am right and anyone else is wrong. Only that I prefer the smooth motion of 48hz in film.
Same for me.

When I saw the The Fellowship of the Ring in the theater the extreme blurring going on from 24 fps ruined the action scenes for me because it was so hard to tell what was going on.
I saw The Desolation of Smaug in 3D 48 fps and the motion clarity was much, much better. It made the movie way more enjoyable for me.

I think what ruins it for some people is that the picture is so much clearer they can make out how fake the visual effects are which can ruin their immersion in the movie. I think this will be less of an issue as people get used to 48 fps and visual effects improve.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2013, 15:57

sharknice wrote:Everyone has an opinion, but this one is mine. I respect the other opinions out there (the majority disagree with me obviously) and I'm not at all saying I am right and anyone else is wrong. Only that I prefer the smooth motion of 48hz in film.
I usually prefer my movies at 24fps just because it's the way it has looked for many years -- the problem is that so many movies have turned themselves into a popcorn carnival ride, lots of kaboom, but no substance -- that adding HFR just adds motion sickness.

But there's properly done 3D (e.g. Avatar) and there's properly done HFR. When the movies that are given good treatment, it is a rather interesting experience. I need more time watching HFR content. The long time movie purist in me, is kind of not used to it, while at the same time, the newer generation of kids will be grow up seeing 24fps as if it was from the silent movie era (14-18fps)!

On the other hand -- however, would like to see some movies get the 120fps treatment though. 48fps still has tons of motion blur. A good candidate would be a documentary about racing cars, or something that warrants such high HFR treatment.

That said, when it comes to my gaming experience -- bring HFR on, baby! To achieve flickerfree low-persistence (zero motion blur without strobing), we need real time 1000fps @ 1000Hz this century -- or an equivalent high-temporal-definition technology, such as faster refresh cycles where the eye is pointing at, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

trey31

Post by trey31 » 01 Jan 2014, 02:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I usually prefer my movies at 24fps just because it's the way it has looked for many years -- the problem is that so many movies have turned themselves into a popcorn carnival ride, lots of kaboom, but no substance -- that adding HFR just adds motion sickness.

But there's properly done 3D (e.g. Avatar) and there's properly done HFR. When the movies that are given good treatment, it is a rather interesting experience. I need more time watching HFR content. The long time movie purist in me, is kind of not used to it, while at the same time, the newer generation of kids will be grow up seeing 24fps as if it was from the silent movie era (14-18fps)!

On the other hand -- however, would like to see some movies get the 120fps treatment though. 48fps still has tons of motion blur. A good candidate would be a documentary about racing cars, or something that warrants such high HFR treatment.
In regards to HFR 48, I remember Cameron saying he loved it and planned to film Avatar sequels in it. Whether he releases it in theaters is a toss up. The only issue I had with The Hobbit in HFR was with a couple of short scenes relatively early in the film that involved cameramen moving while filming with handhelds, similar to the Bourne movies. They were very short sequences, but I think those 1-2 minutes alone may have turned off many to the experience. On the other hand, The Hobbit has absolutely gorgeous panning motion shots of New Zealand and I feel that the judder in scenes like that is much less distracting in HFR than 24.

If it were me... I'd film most stuff in traditional 24 (especially if it were mostly non-panning shots or anything that resembles Bourne films, which honestly would be a significant portion of any film), but with any kind of moderate panning, or deliberate/smooth motion sequences, I'd film that in 48. Then I'd cut the film and duplicate each frame from the 24 shots and sync the audio. Hybrid HFR 48/24. All of the 24 material would appear "normal", and the HFR would provide smooth motion that doesn't cause distraction. Could easily be played in 48 HFR theaters, or could easily be re-synced and played in the traditional 24 theater format. You all heard it here first. Haha.

As far as 120fps treatment, a NASCAR IMAX Documentary would work perfectly. In addition to selling well in the US, the sheer speed of the cars would be amazing to see in SDHFR (Super Duper High Frame Rate; I just coined that btw) and would also lend itself well to reduced speed (slow-mo) shots as well. Some IMAX 3D films used to travel with their own projectors pre-Avatar days and received long runs (sometimes 6+ months) of "limited" releases in only a few dozen (if that) theaters at a time. No reason the same couldn't be done with a racing IMAX documentary now, but instead of polarized stereo projectors the film could travel with "SDHFR" Blur Busters-approved projectors instead. :D
Chief Blur Buster wrote:That said, when it comes to my gaming experience -- bring HFR on, baby! To achieve flickerfree low-persistence (zero motion blur without strobing), we need real time 1000fps @ 1000Hz this century -- or an equivalent high-temporal-definition technology, such as faster refresh cycles where the eye is pointing at, etc.
+1 for this! Also, when I read this I immediately imagined cyberpunk-style nanotech augmentations to my iris for some reason.

Haste

Post by Haste » 04 Jan 2014, 19:52

I don't go often to the cinema. The last 3 movies I went to see are:
The hobbit: An unexpected journey (in 3D HFR)
Gravity (in 3D)
The hobbit: The desolation of Smaug (in 3D HFR)

Gravity was for me pretty hard to enjoy in fast action sequences. It felt so "stuttery".

On the other hand, the Hobbit movies didn't feel that way for me. The 48fps seems to help a lot.
Of course, 48fps changes the aesthetic of the movie. And I can totally understand why the reaction about HFR were very polarized with people hating it.

As for me, I find it hard to enjoy conventional 24fps movies unless they avoid fast actions scenes.
I'm looking forward for Avatar sequel which is rumored to be filmed at 60fps.

Other film directors are also pushing the move to higher frame rates. For example Douglas Trumbull (He worked on 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner!) is currently working on a project called "UFOTOG" which is recorder at 120fps!

In my opinion, higher refresh rates can't come soon enough!
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 05 Jan 2014, 03:52

I just want to say that gameplay video looks fantastic, but the low FOV hurts my poor brain. I can't believe they blocked FOV adjustment in single player again in BF4. I haven't actually gotten around to playing any Battlefield since I upgraded to 120Hz and I think I should.

On the topics of movies and motion interpolation... I recently downloaded SVP as well and I'm having trouble deciding whether I like it or not. On one hand the increased video framerate is really nice, but on the other hand, when motion is too fast (and the threshold for this is pretty low,) the software completely fails at motion interpolation and ends up with an extremely distracting stroboscopic effect localized to the area of motion. It also has a lot of difficulty with patterned objects (chain link fences, plaid shirts, leopard spots) generating many visual artifacts. It seems to work a little better than a friend's Samsung TV, but not much.

As for movies, I haven't been fortunate enough to see either of the Hobbit movies in the theater at 48 fps, though I'd really like to. There is another factor to the motion smoothness besides framerate though: shutter angle. This refers to a circular rotary shutter used on the camera (many cameras use electronic shutters now but the terminology is the same.) The standard for filming is to use a 180 degree shutter, that is half of the shutter disc is cut out to let light reach the film, so each frame in a 24 fps film receives 1/48s of light. Higher shutter angles lead to the "soap opera effect" of unnaturally smooth motion due to increased motion blur and decreased light loss and action/war movies often use a lower shutter angle to reduce motion blur and decrease the smoothness of the film. When Peter Jackson decided to film at 48 fps, he knew that the film would be released in many theaters and on home video at 24 fps and the motion wouldn't look smooth enough with a 48 fps 180 degree shutter. He ended up compromising by using a 270 degree shutter to increase the amount of motion blur to make the movies look smoother at 24 fps. I'm curious to see if this practice will continue in the future or if 48 fps movies will move back to a 180 degree shutter.

What I'd really like is to see the framerate increase to 60 fps so we can end the motion nightmare that is 2:3 pulldown deinterlacing.

Ben

Post by Ben » 05 Jan 2014, 14:42

Wow!
Does anyone what steps it took for that 120 fps video to be be published/uploaded? (Or has a link to a guide for that matter)

I want to upload a video using the exact same player as I believe it beats flash (youtube) videos by far and not just in terms of frame rate.
(quality, loading time, possibility to "save video as", etc)
Best thing I've come across since the Stage6 days, hands down!

I suppose I need an own server or services such as 000webhost coupled with some HTML5 (?) coding, but... honestly, I don't even know if that player even has a name (that I could google and research on my own) or not.

Any kind of info appreciated!

trey31

Post by trey31 » 23 Feb 2014, 16:22

Anyone tried using RadeonPro's video recording feature yet? I'm curious how well it works being Motion-JPEG format?

Also, anyone know if fraps and the like are limited to 60fps recording? Or can one of those record full HD at 120hz too?

trey31

Post by trey31 » 03 Mar 2014, 16:47

trey31 wrote:Anyone tried using RadeonPro's video recording feature yet? I'm curious how well it works being Motion-JPEG format?

Also, anyone know if fraps and the like are limited to 60fps recording? Or can one of those record full HD at 120hz too?

In case anyone was curious, the 120hz Motion-JPEG works. The issue is it drops FPS by 50%-60% or more if you set it to record 1080p at 120fps with quality at 100%. Also, even with quality at 100%, the MJPEG still has compression artifacts comparable to h264 compression, yet it makes file sizes significantly larger. So its not ideal for regular recording by any means. But for "better than 60hz" recording, it works if the system can run it.