New 120Hz Xbox One update (high refresh rate, Freesync)

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
MrBrown

Re: New 120Hz Xbox One update (high refresh rate, Freesync)

Post by MrBrown » 17 May 2018, 06:49

If freesync is disabled at 120 hz, this option is then useless trash, as it still comes with tearing and doesnt take advantage of lower input lag of Freesync @ 120 Hz when displaying 60fps games.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 May 2018, 09:45

Remember, this is a beta, and there are bugs -- give them slack.
Submit a bug report via Xbox Insider.

We welcome collaboration, they have been very accomodating of bug reports in the Reddit Xbox Insider Channel, and for that reason, please give them slack.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SigFig

Post by SigFig » 17 May 2018, 16:02

An additional FYI: Edge still capped at 60hz.

Had hoped to run some tests on the Xbox browser, given going from "Automatic" to "HDMI" input provides a message that monitor features/image quality may decrease. No such luck.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 May 2018, 18:36

EDGE 120Hz limitation is a separate issue, Microsoft has acknowledged it here in this bug report thread:
https://msedgeportal.trafficmanager.net ... s/7304139/

I have heard back from Todd Riefsteck (point contact at Microsoft) that they are evaluating adding 120Hz to EDGE rAF() but it won't be for a while -- likely a couple of EDGE versions. That was before the Spectre/Meltdown scare, so I'm not sure if they're on track (yet).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SigFig

Post by SigFig » 18 May 2018, 07:33

Found it interesting that I have only seen one success story for achieving 1440p/120hz, and that's with the CHG70 when selecting 120hz via the monitor UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ucfEUmZxX8&t=1s

Otherwise, everyone else currently seems to be limited to 1080p/120hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2018, 10:26

I was able to trick Edge to 120fps by using my monitor's "switch refresh rate" button (kind of a real time EDID change), which seems to bypass the hardcoded arbitrary 105fps cap built into Edge.

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 23 May 2018, 09:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Remember, this is a beta, and there are bugs -- give them slack.
Submit a bug report via Xbox Insider.

We welcome collaboration, they have been very accomodating of bug reports in the Reddit Xbox Insider Channel, and for that reason, please give them slack.
Microsoft has an army of Software devs. We are talking about basic things here, those arent some rare scenarios etc. we are talking about.

Xb1 OS is basically Win10. Freesync and higher refresh rate exist for several years. They should be able to figure iut basic things by themselves.

This whole half-axxed approach, hoping that gamers will do all the work for them with finding and reporting bugs etc. is unacceptable and annoying.

They should either deliver a working feature or just dont bother with it.

I mean those software devs get paid some stupid anmount of money. I think its not wrong to expect them to sort out and fix basic things by themselves.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2018, 22:19

That said, let's make Microsoft feel welcome. Let's keep it that way, please. Thanks.

It is fine and all to be frustrated at the way things work, but I don't want to see continually vented "anti-X" (anti-Apple, anti-Microsoft, anti-Linux) posts here on Blur Busters -- please.

I'm a software developer and a programming project the size of Windows 10 is quite massive and complex. There are also over 100 different models of FreeSync monitors, and rapidly increasing.

Also, there are massive amounts of interaction -- It is sometimes a chicken and the egg -- a software developer modifying a game to be more FreeSync compatible -- or a monitor manufacturer modifying an EDID to be more VESA compliant. This was already done more behind the scenes in the past but is nowadays done a lot more publicly -- as part of these early insider betas.

When you're dealing with a multi-million-line operating system, no single code expert can be well-versed. A lot of the Windows 10 experts may be wizards at a certain thing but not on VRR.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 May 2018, 08:27

I stand corrected -- this is the Alpha ring (Insider), not even Beta yet.

Even more reason to give Microsoft plenty of slack on this one --

Even as we speak, I have already noticed they are rapidly buying (dozens) monitors to test but public alphas let advanced geeks and Manufacturers get a super-early chance to try it even as Microsoft debugs it too.

supertoast

Post by supertoast » 25 May 2018, 03:05

SigFig wrote:Found it interesting that I have only seen one success story for achieving 1440p/120hz, and that's with the CHG70 when selecting 120hz via the monitor UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ucfEUmZxX8&t=1s

Otherwise, everyone else currently seems to be limited to 1080p/120hz.
Microsoft & Samsung have a long standing partnership going back all the way to the Xbox 360 launch as they were the official display of that console.

Samsung is so far the only TV maker to have launched a 2018 HDMI VRR TV and is adding Freesync support in a future firmware update so I would calculate that Samsung Freesync displays were what Xbox was initially tested with.

As Chief says it seems they are buying more displays to test on now.

Speaking of TV's some 2017 Sony TV's and all of LG's 2017 OLED TV's have 120Hz support hidden behind it's PC preset but it's locked to 1080p, there is no 1440p resolution support.

OLED's are definitely the hot item in TV land I think MS partnership with Samsung has not exactly helped it here & as Samsung backed the wrong horse with dubious QLED (dressed up LCD), if Microsoft had convinced LG to add 1440p/120Hz support to the game mode preset and if the display was capable of Freesync that would generated a lot more interest with a larger user base, though LG is not going to do that for free of course. If anyone from MS is reading this then please try reaching out to LG.