New 120Hz Xbox One update (high refresh rate, Freesync)

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
SigFig

Re: New 120Hz Xbox One update (high refresh rate, Freesync)

Post by SigFig » 25 May 2018, 11:31

supertoast wrote: Microsoft & Samsung have a long standing partnership going back all the way to the Xbox 360 launch ...
Yeah, after more time thinking about it I assumed this feature has more to do with those upcoming TVs than *my* particular space. There is not an abundance of monitors capable of 1440p @ 120-144hz over HDMI. I would not be surprised if the AOC I eventually returned wasn't even on their radar.

Pretty excited by the introduction of the new features, nevertheless.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2018, 18:30

I fully expect all of this FreeSync debugging to take many months -- six months even -- so don't be surprised.

I think AOC engineers are scrambing as we speak now, and a few scaler vendors and panel manufacturers (that dozens of monitor manufacturers outsource to -- almost all the big-name ones do) have ordered XBoxes for compatibility testing. It's going to take time before all of this filters down.

I give kudos to Samsung & their firmware upgrade policy. Even their computer monitors are user firmware upgradeable, unlike many manufacturers. Something that all monitor manufacturers of the future, should aspire to.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

aconsolepeasant

Post by aconsolepeasant » 01 Jul 2018, 01:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There is currently a buffering behaviour in several early 240Hz monitors for less-than-240Hz modes. This is because most current 240Hz monitors only do bufferless scanout at their max Hz. Currently, at 60Hz and 120Hz, they automatically buffer the refresh cycles in order to scanout faster (1/240sec scanout of 60Hz refresh cycles or 120Hz refresh cycles).

I have not yet tested if this behaviour persists in FreeSync mode, but at the moment, the risk of latency is too high at the moment -- until we test this out more fully. That's why current 240Hz monitors have had so-so 60Hz input lag, but excellent 240Hz input lag.
Thanks for the info! I wish I would have read this before I purchased my Alienware FreeSync 240Hz monitor for my XB1 X! I knew at the time the console only supported 60Hz but FreeSync was out and I heard great things about the Alienware AW2518HF so I pulled the trigger.

Is there any way of knowing or finding out if my monitor has this buffer issue? (I use FreeSync and it appears to be active but I swear at times it acts a little buggy. If I had the tools I would love to test the input lag with and without FreeSync enabled and the new 120Hz support.) Unfortunately, with the XB1 X you can't activate both FreeSync and 120Hz. It's one or the other at this time.

Thanks for all your world class knowledge -

BattleAxeVR

Post by BattleAxeVR » 09 Jan 2019, 12:26

I wonder what the reason is for limiting VRR to 40-60 Hz range.

AFAICT there should be no reason to limit the refresh rate in the game engine, both upper and lower VRR bounds should be set by the display only. Modulo poorly implemented engines like 60 fps-hard-capped ones like Skyrim / Fallout, where things get wonky if you unlock past 60. But that affects physics more than rendering.

I'm also scratching my head when Sony will ever get the memo and implement VRR on PS4. Hopefully market pressure forces their hand, like Nvidia supporting Freesync now.

PS4 GPUs are built on the same CGN hardware which have had Adaptive Sync support internally, in hardware, since the very beginning.

I know this because I asked AMD engineers in person and they confirmed Freesync should be possible on both Xbox One and PS4 (original flavours and onward).

A simple firmware update should do the trick. After all, they added HDR support to their HDMI 1.4 output chips and VRR should work, too. VRR is just a custom data mode within HDMI 1.4 which is the version AMD implemented Freesync-over-HDMI with originally.

Hopefully Microsoft / Xbox supporting 120 Hz and VRR plays the role of AMD / VESA / Freesync vs Nvidia.