Upcoming Monitors for Xbox One X

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
jsharkbite

Upcoming Monitors for Xbox One X

Post by jsharkbite » 22 Apr 2018, 06:36

Need a monitor for my new XB1X. I have been researching for a day now and don't feel good about the options. I don't think anything out there right now will allow me to utilize all that the XB1X can support. Does anyone know of a monitor now, or one that is planned to release, that can support Freesync at 4K or 1440P and can utilize the newly announced 120Hz refresh rate of the XB1X? HDR would be nice but is not needed.

Thanks in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming Monitors for Xbox One X

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2018, 11:44

Just so you know, we already have a FreeSync Monitor List.

What is your typical use case?

-- What are your priorities? Color quality? Stutters? Resolution? Refresh Rate? All the above?
-- Is this for desktop use? Preference towards smaller like 24" or bigger like 27" / 32" and up?
-- Are you playing competitively? This can favour lower input lag.

Some options may include:

-- Waiting for more games to implement FreeSync support
-- Waiting until the 120Hz feature is released in May, and then we'll know which monitors tend to be best
-- Purchasing a monitor from a local store or online store which has good return policy.
(The Blur Busters monitor lists in my signature below link to Amazon, which have a good return policy)

The introduction of FreeSync, 1440p and 120Hz capabilities can make choosing a monitor daunting. Currently these features are so newly introduced, that few games have unlocked or enabled themselves to fully support these features (yet) but I expect this to change quickly for newer games and popular games are well-updated.

That said, if you are needing to buy a monitor *today*, ideally you want to stick to monitors that support FreeSync 2.

If you're anxious and you're wanting a futureproof monitor *now* with excellent colors (VA panel) and full 1440p, the FreeSync 2 monitors include the Samsung C27HG70 and C32HG70. It is on Samsung's Website and can also be purchased from Amazon [supports BlurBusters].

Known as the CHG70 series (27" and 32" respectively), they are 1440p 144Hz FreeSync 2 HDR QLED monitors that ticks pretty much all boxes. It will run a 48Hz-120Hz FreeSync range, and has LFC to smooth the lower framerates such as 30fps. It currently compatible with the experimental beta FreeSync upgrade on the XBox One released in XBox Insider Hub, and Samsung is one of the few monitor manufacturers that lets end users firmware upgrade their monitors (via thumbdrive in USB port) which allowed Samsung to release a downloadable upgrades that increased FreeSync ranges! And Samsung's recent gaming monitors have a really really good blur reduction feature for 120fps @ 120Hz content (when running in non-FreeSync mode) especially if playing PC games. So, the Samsung C27HG70 and C32HG70 are currently the one I'd most comfortably trust the most if wanting the full featureset (120Hz, 1440p, FreeSync 2).

Three things to keep in mind.
-- We haven't tested this monitor yet, but it is indeed the early-adoptor recommendation at this time.
-- Be careful to not confuse the newer Samsung CHG70 series with the older CFG70 series. Don't worry, the new CHG70 doesn't have the old purple ghosting issue of the older CFG70.
-- It is a VA panel, just like many HDTVs. Samsung's VA panels are much better looking in colors than TN panels, but bear in mind of known VA-specific quirks/artifacts.

Be noted, few games support FreeSync yet, so keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

eljbee

Post by eljbee » 23 Apr 2018, 03:48

I'm in a very similar boat. Now complicated (but maybe a in a good way) by the X1X 120Hz announcement!

I wanted a monitor that I could use for both PC AND X1X, at least 32", but that doesn't really exist, given I have a GTX 1070 on the PC.

So I started looking at a 2 monitor solution. I got very interested in ultrawides and wrongly assumed that anything with HDMI 2.0 would suit the One X. So I got the excellent Samsung CF791 (with Freesync). As you no doubt know, this isn't generally the case, the One X won't do 3440x1440, so is stretched on an ultrawide (the sole exception I've found seems to be the Benq EX3501R - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn69InXBfPw

I like the look of your recommended Samsung 32HG70, but I'd also like to get a 4K option for the One Xm, and be able to watch 4K movies etc!

Soooo... do I get the Samsung for the great picture and Freesync, alongside a 4K G-sync monitor (which I'm having trouble finding with HDMI 2.0!). Seems there has to be a compromise somewhere, but I'm struggling really and any thoughts would be welcome :)

jsharkbite

Post by jsharkbite » 23 Apr 2018, 05:41

I should have been a little more specific about the use. This, actually these (one for the lady too) will be used only for XB1X gaming. We play lots of FPS and usually end up in the top 3 so we are semi-competitive and input lag can be a deal breaker. Since we won't use the monitor for anything else it doesn't need to be too big. Right now we are using ASUS VG248's for comparison purposes. These sit in a custom built entertainment center on monitor arms that articulate away from the back of the cabinet so VESA mounting is a must. I guess size of the screen isn't really an issue other than we don't want to sacrifice lag/responsiveness. We would love to game in 4K at 120Hz with freesync2 and have very little lag. Can the XB1X even support 4K AND Freesync? How is gaming at 1440P? is that good too?

For now I will check out the SammySungs you mentioned. I appreciate all the time you have spent on this website and the help you give. My wifey was getting mad at me for taking more than 6 hours to research a monitor. She just bought the XB1Xs for us and thinks picking a monitor is easy.

SigFig

Post by SigFig » 23 Apr 2018, 07:43

jsharkbite wrote:. I guess size of the screen isn't really an issue other than we don't want to sacrifice lag/responsiveness. We would love to game in 4K at 120Hz with freesync2 and have very little lag. Can the XB1X even support 4K AND Freesync? How is gaming at 1440P? is that good too?
The retail 4K 144Hz monitors aren't out yet- and the price rumors are rather absurd ($2-3k). As far as I know, the announced models are Gsync, not Freesync.

The following link has search criteria where you can find monitors with Freesync over HDMI
https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

Others here will probably be able to give more detailed replies, but given your preferences I am guessing you would want to look at either a 4k/60Hz TN monitor or one of the several 1440p/144Hz options. It also sounds like you don't need to limit yourself to the Freesync 2, since you are more focused on competitive and won't care as much about the HDR capability.

4k/60Hz TN monitors w/ Freesync over HDMI:
VP28UQG (I haven't found detailed testing on this monitor, but I suspect it is comparable to the MG28UQ)

As a 1440p/144Hz option, I am waiting on a AOC AG241QX (there is also a 27" variant) delivery. I didn't get the Samsung because I can't ever get used to curved monitors and I am not sure I want to. But otherwise I'm with you- I was surprised at the lack of options and it seems most of the upcoming new tech is geared towards Gsync or bigger screens rather than this space.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Apr 2018, 15:37

jsharkbite wrote:We would love to game in 4K at 120Hz with freesync2 and have very little lag. Can the XB1X even support 4K AND Freesync? How is gaming at 1440P? is that good too?
Combining 4K and 120Hz is not possible in the XB1X.

120Hz is only supported up to 1440p and 1080p.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 24 Apr 2018, 10:01

I had 2 4k monitors here, which boths support freesync 1 over HDMI- LG IPS monitor 27UD69, and Asus VP28UQ which is a TN monitor for use with ps4 pro/xbox 1 x.

LG has total input lag of around 9.3ms, the Asus has total input lag of around 11.4 ms according to leo bodnar tester. However I really didnt like the stronger motion blur of the ips monitor, even when raising Overdrive setting on LG to higher levels. This is why I kept the Asus.

When you have 2 monitors and adjusted them properly, the motion blur difference betweent a very fast TN monitor and very fast IPS monitor is very visible in twitch based fps games like COD etc.

At least I was able to notice a clear difference in favour of the TN monitor.

Now- at higher refresh rates like 144 hz the difference in motion blur betw. TN and IPS might be less noticable, but at 60HZ its quite noticeable.

Todays top TN monitors are quite good in terms of contrast. The contrast of the better TN monitors matches the contrast of better IPS monitors. The main downside of TN is deviation of colors at an angle co pared to IPS, the main advantage is less motion blur and faster pixel transition time.

Personally Id prefer TN for competitive style shooters like COD, CSgo, Overwatch, Pubg etc. While Id peronally only consider IPS for more casual games like Moba games, and campaign games like Witcher etc.

Dont have alot of experience with VA but afaik theyre slower than IPS and TN in terms of pixel transition time and thus motion blur.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

SigFig

Post by SigFig » 24 Apr 2018, 13:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
If you're anxious and you're wanting a futureproof monitor *now* with excellent colors (VA panel) and full 1440p, the FreeSync 2 monitors include the Samsung C27HG70 and C32HG70.
Saw this in the Rtings review (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/chg70):

"Over HDMI the maximum refresh rate without FreeSync is 144 Hz, but with FreeSync it unfortunately drops to 100 Hz."

I understand the update hasn't dropped, and I have a novice-level understanding of such things- but I assume some confirmation would be needed to see if this 100 Hz w/ FreeSync over HDMI would play nice with the Xbox's eventual 120 Hz signal.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2018, 14:31

Thanks for the additional tidbit. A good point. It's my understanding that Samsung is working on this because they've been recommended in many "What Monitors To Get" lists by everyone for the upcoming XBox FreeSync + 120Hz.

Big thing is -- not even ASUS, BENQ, etc provides easy USB firmware upgrades for their gaming monitors (as far as I know). We've helped BenQ with their firmware upgrade of the XL2720Z Version 1 to fix a strobe artifact that many complained about. However, it's not an easy "plug in the thumbdrive and upgrade" that we can now easily do to our other IoT devices like smart TVs. So mucho kudos to Samsung for making their new FreeSync gaming monitors so easily firmware upgradeable -- one of the first monitor manufacturers to do this.

I have heard information from at least one monitor reviewer -- that they plan to knock scores downwards if the monitors are not easily user firmware upgradeable. So monitor manufacturers need to up their game and make their monitors software upgradeable. Samsung is safe here as they pass the firmware upgradeability test. Fix HDR bugs. Fix FreeSync bugs. Fix frameskipping bugs. Etc.

As a collective of end users, we need to demand firmware upgradeability in any premium monitor that contains HDR and VRR technologies.

jsharkbite

Post by jsharkbite » 25 Apr 2018, 06:00

I think I may bite the bullet and try out the AOC AG271QX.
I should be able to do a side by side comparison with the wife's Asus VG248.
The AOC doesn't have HDR and isn't HDMI2.1, but I may be waiting a long time for that.
Some confusion exists on if this is an MVA panel or TN

It is 144hz Freesync, so I really hope they mean it can do Freesync at 120Hz as well.
I am also hoping Adaptive Sync is the same as FreeSync.

Now to get enrolled in the XBOX 1X insider program to test this thing out.