LESS INPUT LAG: FreeSync @60Hz or 120Hz w/ No FS

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
aconsolepeasant

LESS INPUT LAG: FreeSync @60Hz or 120Hz w/ No FS

Post by aconsolepeasant » 03 Jul 2018, 20:35

Hey guys,
First off thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum in some way. I'm a new subscribing member here but I've been a strong fan of your work for the past several months. Thank you!

So, I currently own an Xbox One X and a gaming monitor that supports 120Hz and FreeSync. As far as I'm aware, XB1 X currently only supports either 60Hz with FreeSync activated or 120Hz without FreeSync.

The question is, which would provide a lower input lag (the game I play is Fortnite, I believe capped at 60FPS) :?: My belief is with FreeSync activated you'd have slightly less motion blur at the cost of higher input lag. Unfortunately, it's just a guess at the moment.

Also, I currently own a 240Hz Alienware FreeSync monitor that I'm going to sell as I've read from the Chief that 240Hz monitors may pose problems with buffering behavior which I believe I was experiencing which led me to this site!

Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: LESS INPUT LAG: FreeSync @60Hz or 120Hz w/ No FS

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2018, 21:17

There's no motion blur difference.

As for input lag, if the game maxes out at 60FPS, input lag is a bit lower at 120Hz. If the game drops below 60FPS, input lag is lower at 60Hz+FS.

However, motion smoothness will be better at 60Hz. 60FPS@120Hz will have a bit of microstutter, unless the XBone X does 1/2 vsync, which I doubt it does. But I could be wrong.

Microsoft should really add 120Hz freesync support soon. It's a bit ridiculous that it only works at 60Hz :-/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.