Prepping for XSX, while being mindful it's 7 mo away

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
ace7448

Prepping for XSX, while being mindful it's 7 mo away

Post by ace7448 » 17 Apr 2020, 21:50

Hey Chief et al,

Let me begin by stating I'm an innately impatient person that strives to have the best/most advanced tech possible...Now that that's out of the way:

My current set up is an X1X with a Samsung CHG70 27". By most accounts this is probably considered a solid set-up, but I know it can be better. Obviously, my connection between the monitor and X1X is HDMI. Though the CHG70 is Freesync Premium Pro (aka Freesync 2, formerly), its Freesync range over HDMI is 48Hz-100Hz (this can be backed up on AMD's website). On AMD's site in the Freesync Blog section, it states that Freesync Premium and Premium Pro (aka Freesync for HDR, in essence) "adds to the baseline FreeSync technology tier and equips serious gamers with a fluid, tear-free gameplay experience at peak performance: 1) At least 120hz refresh rate at minimum FHD resolution 2) Support for low framerate compensation (LFC) 3) Low latency".

What this tells me is that I need to bag the CHG70 asafp and instead find a Freesync Premium monitor (note: i totally regret getting a "HDR" monitor, I play Call of Duty so I need speed/responsiveness much much much more than graphical aesthetics) that has a Freesync range over HDMI that is at least 48Hz-120Hz @1080p.

So, Chief: TL;DR I'd like to buy a monitor through one of your links because this site is so great, can you give me 2 or 3 you'd recommend? As of right now, the BenQ Zowie XL2540 is looking like a super solid option for me. Appreciate any input you can give! Thanks much.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Prepping for XSX, while being mindful it's 7 mo away

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2020, 00:32

ace7448 wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 21:50
So, Chief: TL;DR I'd like to buy a monitor through one of your links because this site is so great, can you give me 2 or 3 you'd recommend? As of right now, the BenQ Zowie XL2540 is looking like a super solid option for me. Appreciate any input you can give! Thanks much.
Hello!

First, the "Some 240Hz panels has slight lag at lower Hz" Problem...
Thanks for the compliment about Blur Busters. One problem with 240Hz panels is that they sometimes add latency for lower refresh rates. You will get gaming console latency with the BenQ XL2540 at 120Hz, since it has to buffer a slower-refresh to refresh the panel faster (refreshing a 120Hz refresh cycle in 1/240sec). Sometimes some panels can sync cable scanout to panel scanout symmetrically at all refresh rates (the older BenQs did that).

XL254X series are amazing for CS:GO, but they add latency for 60Hz and 120Hz gaming consoles due to their fixed horizontal scanrate panels that can only refresh at full scanout velocity. Due to that, they necessarily have to buffer a slower-refresh-rate in order to scanout at full velocity, rather than 1:1 scanout sync between cable scanout and panel scanout.

See High Speed Videos Of Scanout - pixels refresh one row at a time, from top to bottom on panels. It also so happens that's how pixels are delivered over the cable. Fast esports monitors will do realtime scanout from cable literally straight to the panel (with minimal line buffered processing, instead of full refresh cycle buffering)

If latency is not important, this isn't bad, as it's only a few milliseconds difference. The XL254X series (including the latest and greatest XL2546S) is great if you want to play competitively on a PC, and only play console casually. However, if you're playing competitively on a console, then latency with a console is often a consideration...

Therefore, for XBOX One competitive, I have to distract you away from the otherwise delicious BenQ ZOWIE XL254X series if "absolute lowest gaming console latency" is extremely important to you.

Console popular low latency 144Hz FreeSync monitor
In your specific situation, I would recommend the ViewSonic XG2402 since it has extremely low latency, has a wide FreeSync range, and is scanout multisync (cable scanout = panel scanout) so you will get low gaming console latency.

Console high quality 1440p IPS colors at low lag
If you want better colors and low latency with a higher resolution of 1440p, I'd recommend trying the BenQ EX2780Q gaming monitor.

Console 240Hz option with low-lag 120Hz
If you want a very fast low-lag 240Hz monitor for PC gaming, while having synchronous low latency at all refresh rates, I'd recommend the ASUS XG248Q. It's very low lag at all refresh rates, which makes it unusual among its 240Hz peers.

Here are the Amazon links:

Viewsonic XG2402 - 24" 1920x1080 TN 144Hz FreeSync
BenQ EX2780Q - 27" 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz FreeSync
ASUS ROG Strix XG248Q - 23.8" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync with strobe range 100,120,144,240
BenQ XL2540 - 24" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync
BenQ XL2546 - 24" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz DyAc (brighter blur reduction mode)
*A commision is sent to Blur Busters upon Amazon purchases at these links. (Thank you!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!