General question about consoles and motion blur

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
Sick_of_Blur

General question about consoles and motion blur

Post by Sick_of_Blur » 29 Oct 2020, 03:03

Is there an optimal setting for playing on consoles? Because I have a PS4 and an xbox 360, and have to deal with painful levels of blur whenever I pan the camera in any game. The blur is eye-straining with anything moving on the screen at all (far worse than anything on PC).

I have been experimenting with different resolutions and settings on pc and have noticed a dramatic performance shift when gaming in 120 fps (assuming that a particular game isn't locked at 60hz). How do I translate this to consoles?

jorimt

Re: General question about consoles and motion blur

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2020, 09:53

Sick_of_Blur wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 03:03
How do I translate this to consoles?
For the PS4 and the Xbox 360 on a gaming monitor that doesn't support outside-of-PC-mode strobing?

Short answer is, you don't.

The majority of the games on those two consoles run at 30 FPS, and devs tend to cake on post process motion blur to mask low framerate judder.

The most you can do is disable motion blur setting per game (where available), but that will still leave you with framerate "motion blur" due to image persistence and display "motion blur" due to GtG.

30 FPS is 30 FPS is 30 FPS. There is no good answer where motion blur is concerned for that, unfortunately.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Sick_of_Blur

Post by Sick_of_Blur » 30 Oct 2020, 01:06

Thank you for the input.

Do you have any recommendations in the vein of monitors that do support outside-of-pc-mode strobing?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2020, 19:22

Sick_of_Blur wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 01:06
Thank you for the input.

Do you have any recommendations in the vein of monitors that do support outside-of-pc-mode strobing?
- Most non-NVIDIA monitors can strobe at 120Hz outside of PC mode.
- For Single Strobe 60Hz, some that works with consoles, see Good News Everyone: 60 Hz Single Strobe Options
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!