Using a reshade black frame insertion shader fx?

Talk to software developers and aspiring geeks. Programming tips. Improve motion fluidity. Reduce input lag. Come Present() yourself!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Using a reshade black frame insertion shader fx?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Oct 2022, 17:12

Stache wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 22:54
Thank you for your responses and advice. Swapping around the character set did remove a lot of the errors but I was stuck with one more. I had to change the subsystem from Console to Windows in Project properties>Linker>System. I can provide a compiled version of funzun's fork with the multi monitor fix if you're okay with that.
Glad you fixed the code-compile problem!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

KuraiShidosha

Post by KuraiShidosha » 01 Nov 2022, 14:39

Very unfortunate news for anyone trying Desktop BFI: it's basically FUBAR on Windows 11. I guess the DWM is just a stuttery mess compared to 10, so the timing of black frames gets interrupted and causes noticeable flickering and flashing. Even when I set the CPU to max performance to stop it from downclocking with C-States, and same for the GPU with Max Performance mode, it still does it. This didn't happen on Windows 10 with the same PC. Very sad day. I was looking forward to using this in the future when I get a 240hz monitor as basically every game on Windows 11 can run in flip mode so this will work with it. What a pity.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Nov 2022, 19:58

A WIndows indirect display driver should be able to solve this problem, especially since drivers run at a much higher priority.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

terry98

Post by terry98 » 13 Dec 2022, 18:58

mdzapeer wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 12:17

I think this thread is worth the necro, I just tried your program on my XG270 @ 180 hz with Strobe 2, and the results are outstanding, with the hardware strobing off there is very little to no blurring, and working along side the PureXP hardware strobing the clarity is CRT level perfect, dare I say better BUT the colors or rather the contrast is little off.

As the chief said software BFI has so much potential. Guess I will be playing Elden Ring (locked 60fps) without any blurring after all :)

I have one question though, regarding how the phase switch interval should be used?

If anyone needs help running this, from the command line
for 180hz or above supporting monitors, refresh needs to be set to 180hz

Code: Select all

pathtoprogram\DesktopBFI.exe -2 2 0

or for 120hz

pathtoprogram\DesktopBFI.exe -1 2 0
(WARNING: can cause temp image retention viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7539#p57467)
Man I literally had hours doing "-2 2" and many other combinations and nothing with a Dell S2522HG running at 180Hz, why is it that you need the "0" at the end? isn't just telling no debug??

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Dec 2022, 16:47

Also for DesktopBFI:

To reduce flicker, run this app as Administrator and configure it to REAL TIME priority in Task Manager.

If a CPU surges in app is causing flickers, configure its priority 1 level lower, see if that works.

terry98

Post by terry98 » 15 Dec 2022, 19:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 16:47
Also for DesktopBFI:

To reduce flicker, run this app as Administrator and configure it to REAL TIME priority in Task Manager.

If a CPU surges in app is causing flickers, configure its priority 1 level lower, see if that works.
I have tried this on 3 screens already the dell s2522hg (60hz@180hz) perfect, an arzopa portable monitor (72hz@144hz) perfect but has image retention and I havent really played with the phase interval settings and my Samsung Q80R 4K TV, this has strobing at 60hz which is fine but I can also do 120hz and wanted to test, it flickers a lot... I managed to reduce the flickering by increasing the phase interval a lot (putting 15+ in the value) but the brightness is all over the place I believe is because of the dimming zones.

It makes no difference running as admin or making the app priority real time.

boogersaregross

Post by boogersaregross » 13 Feb 2023, 21:47

mdzapeer wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 12:17

I think this thread is worth the necro, I just tried your program on my XG270 @ 180 hz with Strobe 2, and the results are outstanding, with the hardware strobing off there is very little to no blurring, and working along side the PureXP hardware strobing the clarity is CRT level perfect, dare I say better BUT the colors or rather the contrast is little off.

As the chief said software BFI has so much potential. Guess I will be playing Elden Ring (locked 60fps) without any blurring after all :)

I have one question though, regarding how the phase switch interval should be used?

If anyone needs help running this, from the command line
for 180hz or above supporting monitors, refresh needs to be set to 180hz

pathtoprogram\DesktopBFI.exe -2 2 0

or for 120hz

pathtoprogram\DesktopBFI.exe -1 2 0
(WARNING: can cause temp image retention viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7539#p57467)
Thanks a lot for this, banged my dumb head at a wall wasting an hour trying to get this to run like retroarch bfi 2 for 180hz, some additional info that might help other people, using 2 2 0 [Render - Black - Black](according to the debug) sacrifices a bit of clarity for more brightness and for some reason setting my response times to fastest overdrive on my 240hz monitor makes it look even brighter (same thing on -2 strobe mode), though with strobe mode 2 during my testing whenever framedrops/screentearing/stutters(?) happens you get crosstalk for a few seconds then it goes back to normal.

Also might wanna turn adaptive sync off before using strobe mode -2 because it gave me awful screen retention in just a few seconds from which i thought i was safe by just using 180hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2023, 23:50

boogersaregross wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:47
Also might wanna turn adaptive sync off before using strobe mode -2 because it gave me awful screen retention in just a few seconds from which i thought i was safe by just using 180hz.
VRR gave image retention with a 3-phase BFI?

It's supposed to be the phase count rather than the VRR on/off. 180Hz can do (90Hz x 2) BFI with image retention, or do (60Hz x 3) BFI without image retention.

Also, third a third case, 90Hz BFI can also be a distorted cadence to create a 60Hz BFI (e.g. 1/180sec visible frame followed by 2/180sec black frame) in a cadence of 2. That "60Hz BFI at 180Hz" with a cadence of 2 will burn in.

But this is giant news to me if you're getting image retention at (60Hz x 3) with VRR ON. If this is true, please let me know that you're running 180Hz at [60Hz x 3] instead of [90Hz x 2]. This will be the first time I've heard of image retention at [60Hz x 3] sequence.

180Hz VRR has a VRR range of 48Hz-180Hz, which means it's capable of doing 90Hz BFI (image retention) and 60Hz BFI (no image retention)

TL;DR:

- 180Hz VRR with BFI creating 90Hz via 2 frame cadence (1/90sec + 1/90sec) = image retention
- 180Hz VRR with BFI creating 60Hz via 2 frame cadence (1/180sec + 2/180sec) = image retention
- 180Hz VRR with BFI creating 60Hz via 3 frame cadence (1/180sec + 1/180sec + 1/180sec) = no image retention

boogersaregross

Post by boogersaregross » 14 Feb 2023, 08:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:50
VRR gave image retention with a 3-phase BFI?

It's supposed to be the phase count rather than the VRR on/off. 180Hz can do (90Hz x 2) BFI with image retention, or do (60Hz x 3) BFI without image retention.

Also, third a third case, 90Hz BFI can also be a distorted cadence to create a 60Hz BFI (e.g. 1/180sec visible frame followed by 2/180sec black frame) in a cadence of 2. That "60Hz BFI at 180Hz" with a cadence of 2 will burn in.

But this is giant news to me if you're getting image retention at (60Hz x 3) with VRR ON. If this is true, please let me know that you're running 180Hz at [60Hz x 3] instead of [90Hz x 2]. This will be the first time I've heard of image retention at [60Hz x 3] sequence.

180Hz VRR has a VRR range of 48Hz-180Hz, which means it's capable of doing 90Hz BFI (image retention) and 60Hz BFI (no image retention)
You're right i messed up something and blamed it on adaptive sync, tried again with adaptive sync on, both strobe mode 2 and -2 with phase switch interval 0, 1, 2 and no burn in.

Dunno how or what happened but i'll keep using this software and if i notice some retention w/ adaptive sync ill make sure to properly document the settings and post an update. Also went back and tried the retroarch bfi 2 and is it just me or does it look smoother/less stuttery?

Edit: Going into desktopbfi.exe properties > Compatibility > Run this program as an administrator ticked, setting the process priority to realtime in task manager and using phase interval 2 with either strobe mode -2 or 2 gives me the closest result to retroarch's bfi and now i'm really happy with the results :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2023, 18:48

boogersaregross wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 08:03
Edit: Going into desktopbfi.exe properties > Compatibility > Run this program as an administrator ticked, setting the process priority to realtime in task manager and using phase interval 2 with either strobe mode -2 or 2 gives me the closest result to retroarch's bfi and now i'm really happy with the results :D
Yep.

1. DesktopBFI -> Administrator Mode -> "REALTIME" priority
2. Game software -> "BELOW NORMAL" priority

Fixes most DesktopBFI flicker! You may lose about 5% frame rate, but it's worth fixing the eye-searing random-erratic flicker.