How to increase the resolution for a laptop if playing via hdmi cable on a TV?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Skiper2020

How to increase the resolution for a laptop if playing via hdmi cable on a TV?

Post by Skiper2020 » 07 May 2020, 16:29

Hey. I play Battlefield1 on a Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8 GB video card.
I transmit the image to a TV with a diagonal of 100 inches.
But I do not like the resolution that is broadcast on the screen! I downloaded the Custom Resolution Utility,
and configured it according to the instructions. Everything began to work well,
but now it has become low FPS. Tell me how to increase FPS? :cry:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How to increase the resolution for a laptop if playing via hdmi cable on a TV?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2020, 23:04

It's very tough to increase frame rates at full resolution. You may wish to test a half-resolution of 960x540. That will run much faster while looking better than the old scaled resolutions (hopefully).

You may wish to upgrade your laptop instead, to one containing an RTX graphics chip. I've got a Razer Blade 15 laptop with RTX 2080 mobile and it outperforms my desktop GTX 1080!

Alternatively you may want to find a budget laptop (with a fast enough Intel chip) that has a Thunderbolt 3 output compatible with an external GPU enclosure. You could put a desktop RTX 2060 card in an external GPU enclosure plugged into your laptop. But it won't work with that laptop. While the Lenovo Y730 seems to have it, the Y530 unfortunately doesn't support external GPUs. Make sure the laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port compatible with an external GPU.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!