Discussion of Concept: TFPV (True First Person Vision)

Talk to software developers and aspiring geeks. Programming tips. Improve motion fluidity. Reduce input lag. Come Present() yourself!
Futuretech

Discussion of Concept: TFPV (True First Person Vision)

Post by Futuretech » 24 Dec 2021, 17:28

I hope what I post is understood based on aggrandizing max FoV.

Earlier in the previous decade. There was discussions in the internet of something to this. I think the best description would be called True First Person Vision.

https://krisredbeard.wordpress.com/

This guy calls it TFP-Viewpoint. He is explaining a separate concept but is similar to the FoV situation.

Basically to emphasize on my information around the time of Red Orchestra 2 coming out and people searching for alternative FPS games in comparison to CoD and Counter-Strike. Plus it was the youtube revolution time period and other gamers or other games were being promoted instead of the usual ones.

I ran into people promoting the realism even so far as the NORG(Natural Order of Realistic Gaming) aspect with Ground Branch whom are well aware of Infiltration 2.9 Mod, one of the most realistic mods ever made even Arma didn't reach such levels till Arma 2 and even then Inf_Beppo and the other programmers of Infiltration did such an extreme job of modding UT99 engine it would crash the game. The engine was incapable of supporting all the ideas and realistic properties the INF team wanted to do.

Anyways about FoV. Since in essence it is a zooming feature. The most obvious use of high FoV rates is zooming in. Many games with sniper rifles and augmented vision zoom in. In Infiltration 2.9 you zoom in the iron sights to give realistic aiming proportion. Arma does this and I believe Operation Flashpoint with certain mods does this.

Basically TFPV involves maxing out the Field of View to zoom in a fisheye situation. And then you program the vision to cover the aspect ratio.

I believe it's you set up max FoV so it's impossible to play the game. And you tell the game to link the vision to the aspect ratio to give you a fully zoomed in gaming experience while being able to play the game. Because if you can't spread the vision out and have the normal frame your in fisheye lens all the time.

Let me give an example in most games released since first-person shooters have been around they are anywhere from 4:1 to 2:1 distance. What does that mean for most games in modern times since the golden age of gaming and FPS games. Most games see twice as far. For example if your playing Red Orchestra a slower-paced game in comparison to CoD. Aiming down your sights on a target is actually visually twice as far away.

In other words the enemy might be 100 meters away but visually he is 200 meters away. We aren't really bothered by this because everything just works. But most FPS games that do not perform some from of zooming or FoV zooming generally we are attacking a target twice as far visually.

Doesn't make much sense but apparently that's what some of these realism gamers have talked about earlier in the decade.

I assume with VR Goggles and all these high-FoV monitors this situation has come to affect companies and gamers alike.

By any chance C.B.B. have you ran into such things? i.e. max FoV fisheye programmed to be spread over the aspect ratio to give fully zoomed in vision to give 1:1 visual perspective

I believe that is how it is max FoV programmed spread over the Aspect ratio. I believe that's the easiest way or the way in which it flows better. In essence it's programming vision in a game like programming a camera to see inside the game.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Discussion of Concept: TFPV (True First Person Vision)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2022, 14:48

Moved to more appropriate forum -- this is a little too far from display-specific behavior to be part of Area 51.

This is some good (old) writings about FOV, that are useful to the responsibility of game developers (and VR framework developers), from a FOV programming perspective.

So I've moved it to the Game Programming area, as it uses game developer terminology within the article.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!