First-Timer: XG2431 Pursuit Camera Photos By Hand-Wave Smartphone

Many sites including LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware, and others use the free Blur Busters pursuit camera invention. Now also available as a rail-less smartphone wave, too!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: First-Timer: XG2431 Pursuit Camera Photos By Hand-Wave Smartphone

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2021, 17:38

teo wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 15:41
re: pursuits of the pre-tuned refresh rates, how precise does a QFT resolution need to match the pre-tuned refresh rate to use the preset?
There's no QFT-compatible pretuned refresh rate, so I do not understand your question.

QFT requires PureXP Custom + Strobe Utility for best performance, otherwise QFT can sometimes look worse than better.
teo wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 15:41
for example, you're saying that 180hz has a built-in strobe preset
All pretuned Hz strobe is for CVT or CVT-R ("Automatic") signal formula commonly used to compute EDIDs, not Hz QFT ("Manual" in Custom Resolution) signal formula.

The tolerance is probably approximately 5-10% before you ideally need to re-tune with Strobe Utility.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

teo

Post by teo » 12 Dec 2021, 21:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:38
There's no QFT-compatible pretuned refresh rate, so I do not understand your question.
I think I'm partially overloading the 'quick frame transport' concept in my mind, where I was thinking that anytime you bother making a custom refresh rate you might as well set it with a large vertical total. obviously, that's not a requirement (and assumedly not feasible depending on monitor hardware?). it makes sense why e.g. a QFT 75hz custom resolution might have worse strobing performance than a 'standard' 75hz mode. my 'tolerance' question was also tied to this, where e.g. my '120'hz QFT was actually a 119.xxhz strobing and in my mind I became worried that if it wasn't 120.00 then the pre-tuned 120hz settings wouldn't be loaded. now that I realize what an "Automatic" vs "Manual" timing selection allows, I see that's an unfounded concern.

out of the box, I'm able to choose (pc) 240, 144, 100, (ultra hd) 120, 119, 60, 59, 50, 30, 29, 25, 24, 23hz refresh rates in nvidia control panel (connected via displayport). so to see strobing performance at 75, 85, 165, 180, 200, 224hz I'll need to create a custom resolution. I've never had a need to create a custom resolution until trying these pursuits which is probably why I was conflating some concepts.

aside from the people who love to play cs:go with stretched resolutions, what are the use-cases for creating those other custom resolutions? is it just for people who know they can only maintain e.g. 180 fps in a game where they want to use strobing? why did you choose to tune those particular refresh rates as presets and why aren't all of those refresh rates exposed as available choices out of the box?

then, aside from the very small minority of blur busters forum go-ers, how do people realize that these 'hidden' tuned strobing options are available? if there were a "refresh rate utility" that could create the QFT versions of these resolutions, could it also then load strobe tuning settings for QFT rather than "Automatic" timings to result in a better picture? I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but these manual tweaks are a huge barrier to the vast majority of users. vrr-strobing seems like the best path forward to bring these motion clarity improvements to the masses (including lazy 'enthusiast' folks like me!).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Dec 2021, 15:43

Ideally, a lot of these should be built into the monitor. Unfortunately,

The rough tuning tolerance is approximately 5% or thereabouts. Any “Automatic” and “CVT’ / “CVT-R” calculated timings will fall within this range. So you can vary the VT by about 5% and it’ll probably still look stock. Mostly, the strobe phase mathematics is the first part to fail once you go to nonstandard timings.

The tuned refresh rate presets in XG2431 are:
60, 75, 85, 100, 120, 144, 165, 180, 200, 224, 240

Any automatic-timings refresh rate will load the factory strobe tuned preset at the next lower refresh rate, if it’s more than 0.5 Hz below. For example, 198Hz will use the 180Hz tuning memory, but 199.7Hz will use the 200Hz tuning memory.

However, it’s best to re-tune with Strobe Utility.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

teo

Post by teo » 19 Dec 2021, 20:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 23:45
Hard Request:
If I was dreaming, I'd ask for strobed pursuits of PureXP Ultra or Extreme (choose one setting) and stick to it, and pursuit 60, 75, 85, 100, 120, 144, 165, 180, 200, 224 and 240. Those are all the built-in strobe presets that automatically load in the monitor firmware when a custom resolution is created and PureXP is enabled.
I took an extremely expedient stab at this on purexp extreme. the pursuit videos and my hastily selected frames can be found here. and by expedient, I mean for each refresh rate I took a minute-ish of video (or until I was reasonably confident I got a decent pan) and then saved the first decent looking frame. there may well be better frames available in the videos.