My HP OMEN X 25f UFO Ghosting Pursuit Camera Results

Many sites including LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware, and others use the free Blur Busters pursuit camera invention. Now also available as a rail-less smartphone wave, too!
hiimdoug

My HP OMEN X 25f UFO Ghosting Pursuit Camera Results

Post by hiimdoug » 06 Aug 2019, 12:24

Attached is the result of my best attempt at the UFO Ghosting Test. All I had to create a track with were some of my kids duplo blocks that had a wheel base (large legos) and I used my DSLR at 1/60. The test was set at 960 px/sec. The monitor was set to response level 3 of 4 based on rtings.com recommendation.

I don't really have an opinion on the results, as I'm not really an expert by any stretch, so let me know you're thoughts. But when I look at my image versus the tft results of the xf252q, I think i see far less ghosting on the Omen X 25f but maybe a bit more overdrive artifacts.

What say you?

Attachments
UFOGhostingTestResult.jpg
UFOGhostingTestResult.jpg (187.19 KiB) Viewed 23043 times
Last edited by hiimdoug on 06 Aug 2019, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

masneb

Re: My HP OMEN X 25f UFO Ghosting Pursuit Camera Results

Post by masneb » 06 Aug 2019, 13:31

Very cool, I'm of the opinion that all monitor reviews should include a test ufo as that's sometimes much more telling then looking at data on the review.

Beyond that it's tough to compare to other websites as everyone setup is different.

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 07 Aug 2019, 14:11

I don't know man, I'm not convinced about this monitor. Here is what the image looks like on my 6 months old, released 2 years ago BenQ XL2546 with 182Hz + DyAc set to Premium.

Attachments
4.png
4.png (172.9 KiB) Viewed 22900 times
BenQ XL2546, i9-9900K @ 5.0 GHz, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz CL14 RAM, Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.

hiimdoug

Post by hiimdoug » 07 Aug 2019, 14:40

Thanks for sharing blurboss! Your result is definitely more clear, i'm looking at the eyes and the white lines on the ufo and my x 25f has more blur. I would imagine this is a result of the dyac and possibly the addition of 58hz or 31% increase. However, there seems to be more overshoot artifacts or faint ghosting image before and after the UFO (not sure if thats what its called or not).

Obviously the XL2546 was/is still a premier gaming monitor so I wouldnt expect a huge leap ahead of it, if any. So if the Omen is using the new AUO panel I'm sure BenQ wont be far behind adopting the new panel and making a superior version than the Omen.

Out of curiosity, did you underclock the monitor to 182 or is that required for the dyac to run?

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 07 Aug 2019, 15:50

BenQ XL2546, i9-9900K @ 5.0 GHz, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz CL14 RAM, Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.

masneb

Post by masneb » 07 Aug 2019, 15:52

Yeah, this is why I'm not sold purely on black to white transition times and why response times reallllly matter when you up the refresh as it doesn't give pixels as much time to change states before a new refresh comes in.

Thanks for sharing guys, pretty sure I'm not going to pull the trigger on this monitor and I'm going to wait for a good monitor with the new sub-ms AUO panels. Wish review websites would include these all the time and not whatever custom implementation they have (like Rtings), where you can't actively compare it to other monitors.

This is the one from the XF252Q, but it's using strobing:

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 08 Aug 2019, 02:50

Are we seeing the same images? I mean look at that garbo overshoot on the benq!! And that's with strobing. Exactly what ai had on my unit, instant return! I cant stand that overshoot, I much prefer a little bit of "non overshoot" blur, than having to deal with such atrocious trail on every fast movement. I remember noticing it even on my mouse pointer and deaktop windows/web browser.

masneb

Post by masneb » 08 Aug 2019, 07:14

Hmmm thought the second image was a better picture of the Omen, misread that.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2019, 08:34

Pros/con critique of pursuit imagery

First image (hiimdoug) is more accurately tracked but slightly less exposed
- correct exposure length but too dark (underexposed)
- suggest increase monitor brightness and/or increase camera "ISO" setting and try again
- if camera app does not allow ISO increase without exposure length increase, try downloading camera app

Second image (BlurBoug) is much less accurately tracked but slightly more exposed (better colors)
- suggest increase monitor exposure time
- if builtin smartphone camera does not allow, download app to customize exposure.

The result is motion blur is more accurate in hiimdoug image but colors are more accurate in BlurBoss image.

However, they are still great end-user runs at pursuit camera photography -- most particularly impressed at how accurately tracked the hiimdoug image is tracked.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hiimdoug

Post by hiimdoug » 08 Aug 2019, 09:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Pros/con critique of pursuit imagery

First image (hiimdoug) is more accurately tracked but slightly less exposed
- correct exposure length but too dark (underexposed)
- suggest increase monitor brightness and/or increase camera "ISO" setting and try again
- if camera app does not allow ISO increase without exposure length increase, try downloading camera app

Second image (BlurBoug) is much less accurately tracked but slightly more exposed (better colors)
- suggest increase monitor exposure time
- if builtin smartphone camera does not allow, download app to customize exposure.

The result is motion blur is more accurate in hiimdoug image but colors are more accurate in BlurBoss image.

However, they are still great end-user runs at pursuit camera photography -- most particularly impressed at how accurately tracked the hiimdoug image is tracked.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll give it another shot this weekend and try and produce a better result.