ViewSonic XG270QG Review

Many sites including LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware, and others use the free Blur Busters pursuit camera invention. Now also available as a rail-less smartphone wave, too!
Ashun
VIP Member

ViewSonic XG270QG Review

Post by Ashun » 11 Dec 2019, 13:54

Video review and companion article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDCK6PiChY
http://aperturegrille.com/reviews/ViewSonicXG270QG/

It's 17 minutes long! Sorry!

Blurbusters seems like the right crowd for my type of reviews. The two new ViewSonic monitors, the XG270QG and the XG270, seem pretty impressive, and I picked the XG270QG for review, but maybe I should have gone with XG270 instead. We might need Chief Blur Buster to tune this one as well.

I haven't received much feedback about the reviews, so if you spot anything I'm doing wrong, or there's something I'm missing, let me know.

SilverOne

Re: ViewSonic XG270QG Review

Post by SilverOne » 11 Dec 2019, 15:19

Wow those are really impressive. I just had enough time to open the website and read things vertically but i really like the review style. My 10sec feed back is that the website may appeal more to the engineery type of guy rather than the general population, but other than that excellent work.

I was trying to read up the Input Lag Waterfall Chart but i was having a hard time interpreting the data (the Y axis isn't labelled). I'll definitively come back and read it again when i have more time.

Ashun
VIP Member

Post by Ashun » 11 Dec 2019, 15:56

You're totally right. The website is more of a data dump than a text review. For those who already know what to look for, you can get what you need really quickly.

I covered all the measurement procedures in detail in this previous video:
https://youtu.be/neVQfBy2w2Y?t=851

But it's 22 minutes long... :)

In particular, any of the light measures that don't have y-axis labels are unitless. The microcontroller reads a voltage, typically 0 to 3.3 V, but it outputs a 12-bit integer, 0 to 4095.

As I build out the site more, I want to include explanations for each section. The "About" page has a concise pictograph of the response times, but that's all I have for now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2019, 16:15

Thanks for posting this!

We plan to continue to tune monitors too, and the full details of Blur Busters Approved program will be publicly published by CES 2020.

And Ashun, I like your honesty in including the Pursuit Camera Sync Track, so people can know how accurate your motion blur photography was. Big brownie points for this, not even TFTCentral / PCMonitors / RTings reveals their pursuit-accuracy track.

screenshot.png
screenshot.png (994.87 KiB) Viewed 22811 times
For Benchmark Image In YouTube Videos: The only thing I might change in your future reviews is to make sure you use ultra-high-resolution montages for these (e.g. 4K) and downconvert for YouTube. It's a bit fuzzy at 1440p as if you created these images at a lower resolution, the scaled fuzziness slightly affects interpretation of motion blur. Just a friendly suggestion! :)

Due to the "Nyquist Factor", the general rule of thumb for custom image inserts into YouTube, is to create a master image approximately twice the resolution of the highest-resolution YouTube format you plan to use. Or at least exact pixel to the video file you plan to upload (e.g. 1440p image for 1440p video). Even 1500p downscaled to 1440p looks much fuzzier than 1440p exact pixel to 1440p.

For readers not familiar with pursuit camera photography of display motion blur:
Please see this thread to learn why it is done, and how easy they are: Easy Pursuit Camera 101 With Your iPhone/Android Camera.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Dec 2019, 20:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 16:15
Thanks for posting this!

We plan to continue to tune monitors too, and the full details of Blur Busters Approved program will be publicly published by CES 2020.

And Ashun, I like your honesty in including the Pursuit Camera Sync Track, so people can know how accurate your motion blur photography was. Big brownie points for this, not even TFTCentral / PCMonitors / RTings reveals their pursuit-accuracy track.

screenshot.png

For Benchmark Image In YouTube Videos: The only thing I might change in your future reviews is to make sure you use ultra-high-resolution montages for these (e.g. 4K) and downconvert for YouTube. It's a bit fuzzy at 1440p as if you created these images at a lower resolution, the scaled fuzziness slightly affects interpretation of motion blur. Just a friendly suggestion! :)

Due to the "Nyquist Factor", the general rule of thumb for custom image inserts into YouTube, is to create a master image approximately twice the resolution of the highest-resolution YouTube format you plan to use. Or at least exact pixel to the video file you plan to upload (e.g. 1440p image for 1440p video). Even 1500p downscaled to 1440p looks much fuzzier than 1440p exact pixel to 1440p.

For readers not familiar with pursuit camera photography of display motion blur:
Please see this thread to learn why it is done, and how easy they are: Easy Pursuit Camera 101 With Your iPhone/Android Camera.
Chief? What is the freesync version of this monitor for AMD users?
Viewsonic said only the "4k version" was adaptive sync and that wasn't helpful :(:*

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Dec 2019, 14:24

Falkentyne wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 20:54
Chief? What is the freesync version of this monitor for AMD users? Viewsonic said only the "4k version" was adaptive sync and that wasn't helpful :(:*
Currently, there isn’t a perfect symmetry between G-SYNC models and FreeSync (“G-SYNC Compatible”) models in the line of the new monitors.

So there currently isn’t one (yet).

The 240Hz 1ms IPS is FreeSync capable (Advertised as “G-SYNC Compatible”), and the 165Hz 1ms IPS is G-SYNC Native.

Yes, I know, it’s confusing. It’s amazing how NVIDIA commandeered FreeSync marketing into G-SYNC Compatible marketing. Brilliant marketing move on their part. Those are even better-quality FreeSync for AMD users so AMD benefits too, even if the FreeSync stickers have been overlaid by G-SYNC Compatible stickers.

Marketing Compatibility Glossary
For readers unfamiliar with marketing currency:
”G-SYNC”, ”G-SYNC Ultimate”, ”G-SYNC Native” = only NVIDIA compatible
”G-SYNC Compatible” = unofficial AMD and official NVIDIA
”FreeSync” = official AMD and unofficial NVIDIA
“FreeSync” AND “G-SYNC Compatible” stickers both used = official AMD and official NVIDIA
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 13 Dec 2019, 15:17

But I am confused. If those are just marketing terms (and I thought they were), then why do some FreeSync monitors not work with Nvidia GPUs? Or is that just my monitor (honestly, I would not be surprised)?

Impressive review by the OP, btw! Wish it was the XG270, hehe. :roll:

Ashun
VIP Member

Post by Ashun » 13 Dec 2019, 22:58

As long as you have a Pascal or newer graphics card and are using DisplayPort, most FreeSync monitors should at least function with adaptive sync. They might not be flawless experiences, but you can at least see what it's about.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Dec 2019, 23:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 14:24
Falkentyne wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 20:54
Chief? What is the freesync version of this monitor for AMD users? Viewsonic said only the "4k version" was adaptive sync and that wasn't helpful :(:*
Currently, there isn’t a perfect symmetry between G-SYNC models and FreeSync (“G-SYNC Compatible”) models in the line of the new monitors.

So there currently isn’t one (yet).

The 240Hz 1ms IPS is FreeSync capable (Advertised as “G-SYNC Compatible”), and the 165Hz 1ms IPS is G-SYNC Native.

Yes, I know, it’s confusing. It’s amazing how NVIDIA commandeered FreeSync marketing into G-SYNC Compatible marketing. Brilliant marketing move on their part. Those are even better-quality FreeSync for AMD users so AMD benefits too, even if the FreeSync stickers have been overlaid by G-SYNC Compatible stickers.

Marketing Compatibility Glossary
For readers unfamiliar with marketing currency:
”G-SYNC”, ”G-SYNC Ultimate”, ”G-SYNC Native” = only NVIDIA compatible
”G-SYNC Compatible” = unofficial AMD and official NVIDIA
”FreeSync” = official AMD and unofficial NVIDIA
“FreeSync” AND “G-SYNC Compatible” stickers both used = official AMD and official NVIDIA
Thank you, Chief.
I know how much work you did with the Benq Z series monitors.
I'll trust that you'll do good things for this monitor also.

I had my eyes set on the XL2740 (I keep forgetting that's the sequel to the XL2735), but since I trust your magic, I'll consider this. can you check your PM?

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 14 Dec 2019, 08:45

Ashun wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 22:58
As long as you have a Pascal or newer graphics card and are using DisplayPort, most FreeSync monitors should at least function with adaptive sync. They might not be flawless experiences, but you can at least see what it's about.
I have that. I'm thinking that my monitor has a FreeSync option but that option does nothing, which is very possible. :lol: