[Pursuit Camera] Testing setting suggestion for XF252Q/XG240r/Omen X 25f for least motion blur

Many sites including LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware, and others use the free Blur Busters pursuit camera invention. Now also available as a rail-less smartphone wave, too!
Estrada00

[Pursuit Camera] Testing setting suggestion for XF252Q/XG240r/Omen X 25f for least motion blur

Post by Estrada00 » 31 Mar 2020, 13:46

Hello Blur Busters,
I happen to have three monitors that are known to have low input lag and less motion blur compared to the other products that are popular.
Now i am trying to provide some data points for this forum I would like to borrow some knowledge from senior BB'ers

Pursuit test for all monitors
XG240r
-G-sync enabled via NVP, no v-sync
XF252Q
144hz strobing (normal OD,normal VBR) Vsync ON
240hz strobing (normal OD, Extreme VBR) Vsync ON

240hz Omen x 25f
-GSync enabled via NVP

now what should i do with the NV panel hz for all the monitors ? (eg option of 144hz 240hz under resolution )
i actually dont have a clue when it becomes to NV settings . Any suggestions?
I will take photo either with my compact digital camera (doesnt have fast shooting mode) or Huawei p20lite.
*This whole test will be focused on motion clarity over input lag
*Im doing this test to see any differences in motion blur clarity between 240hz native vs 144hz native vs 240hz VBR @144hz
*It might take some time(1-2weeks to complete but please be patient with me as this is first time doing such thing )

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Testing setting suggestion for XF252Q/XG240r/Omen X 25f for least motion blur

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2020, 00:12

Estrada00 wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 13:46
Hello Blur Busters,
I happen to have three monitors that are known to have low input lag and less motion blur compared to the other products that are popular. Now i am trying to provide some data points for this forum I would like to borrow some knowledge from senior BB'ers

That would be wonderful!

I suggest you do 120Hz strobing too, and at all overdrive settings.
It's neat comparing overdrive settings, for example:

Also, feel free to email me at squad [at] blurbusters.com for free support in helping you setting you up with a pursuit camera -- let's make sure you're doing good technique.
Estrada00 wrote:
now what should i do with the NV panel hz for all the monitors ? (eg option of 144hz 240hz under resolution )
I will take photo either with my compact digital camera (doesnt have fast shooting mode) or Huawei p20lite.
For pursuit tests, don't worry about NV settings, just configure the refresh rate. Then use the monitor OSD to configure the rest (e.g. Overdrive setting, whatever strobe brand it has, ULMB/VRB/DyAc/ELMB/PureXP/Strobe setting).

Right now, TestUFO doesn't support VRR-below-Hz, but you can test max-Hz VRR versus max-Hz non-VRR, since overdrive behaviours sometimes looks different.
Estrada00 wrote:
*Im doing this test to see any differences in motion blur clarity between 240hz native vs 144hz native vs 240hz VBR @144hz
*It might take some time(1-2weeks to complete but please be patient with me as this is first time doing such thing )
Please do 1 brief test with 1 monitor first, I will be happy to refine your pursuit testing technique.
If you want to do it on the cheap, with a Huawei smartphone, the easiest method would be the hand-wave smartphone test.

New Easy Free Pursuit Camera: Smartphone. No rail needed.

phpBB [video]

(You can easily do a better job than the above)

Setting Up Your Smartphone For Easy Hand-Wave Video Pursuit Camera

1. Go to Google Play (the older P20 should still have it)
2. Download and install a high-rated "Pro Camera" or "SLR Camera" app that allows you to do manual-everything during video
3. Run www.testufo.com/ghosting
3. Configure video camera app to FIXED EXPOSURE (Prefer 4 refresh cycles, i.e. 1/30sec 30fps for 120Hz)
4. Configure video camera app to FIXED COLOR TEMP (6500K)
5. Configure video camera app to FIXED FOCUS (with phone arm's length away from monitor)
6. Finally, configure video camera app to a BRIGHTNESS or ISO SETTING that doesn't underexpose/overexpose per frame.
(Note: Framerate doesn't matter as much as ability to adjust camera exposure per frame, you may have to configure the camera frame rate in order for it to let you adjust the exposure settings the way you want it. Also, not all camera video recording apps lets you configure everything, so you may have to experiment with different apps until the app lets you correctly configure the video settings).
7. Start video recording.
8. Hand wave the video a few times just like the YouTube video embed, from about arm's length away
9. If you need more steadiness, try stiffening your arm and swivel your computer chair instead
10. Afterwards, play the video using a good single-frame-stepping player app (one with a touchscreen jog slider, combined with PREV/NEXT framestep buttons) to find the clearest freezeframe.
11. You've found your good smartphone hand-pursuit photo (simply buy using video as a surrogate burst-shoot app).

I suggest you do this with 1 monitor and vet your pursuit camera technique first to confirm you're doing it correctly, before doing the test on all monitors. I'm looking forward to your results!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

[Pursuit Camera] Re: Testing setting suggestion for XF252Q/XG240r/Omen X 25f for least motion blur

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2020, 00:16

Also, a precautionary warning for reviewers that does the pursuit camera wrong:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Two reviewers are making mistakes by violating test guidelines that cause me to be unable to trust the integrity of the pursuit camera photography, because the tickmarks are the evidence of scientific accuracy.

When photographing www.testufo.com/ghosting or other pursuit-camera compatible test pattern,
Please Follow Guidelines
Please Confirm Scientific Integrity

[!] CRITICALLY IMPORTANT FOR TRUST [!]: Just because photo (or individual video frame) looks correct despite bad tickmarks, doesn't mean the photo can be trusted. The tickmarks is the trust. The tickmarks is hardcoded evidence of pursuit camera accuracy. Please help us trust the photograph by showing accurate tickmarks, please. Camera exposure must be at least 2x refresh cycle length minimum (and preferably about 4x refresh cycle), to represent aggregate human vision integration time accurately. Example: For 120Hz refresh rate -- that means 1/30sec camera exposure for photographs -- or 1/30sec exposure per video frame if doing video. For end users doing the easy rail-less method via smartphone hand-wave, try to get less than 1 pixelwidth error margin. For professional reviewers, try to get less than 0.2 pixelwidth error margin, if you can!

Pursuit Camera Instructions

For those wondering how to use a pursuit camera for free:
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

michaelcycle00

Re: [Pursuit Camera] Testing setting suggestion for XF252Q/XG240r/Omen X 25f for least motion blur

Post by michaelcycle00 » 12 Apr 2020, 02:53

Estrada00 wrote:
Hello Blur Busters,
I happen to have three monitors that are known to have low input lag and less motion blur compared to the other products that are popular.
Now i am trying to provide some data points for this forum I would like to borrow some knowledge from senior BB'ers

XG240r
-G-sync enabled via NVP, no v-sync
XF252Q
144hz strobing (normal OD,normal VBR) Vsync ON
240hz strobing (normal OD, Extreme VBR) Vsync ON

240hz Omen x 25f
-GSync enabled via NVP

Hey, are you still thinking about doing these?