Macro Pursuits feat Omen 27i (LG LM270WQA Panel)

Many sites including LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware, and others use the free Blur Busters pursuit camera invention. Now also available as a rail-less smartphone wave, too!
techless

Macro Pursuits feat Omen 27i (LG LM270WQA Panel)

Post by techless » 22 Jul 2020, 06:36

I was curious if pursuit camera photos with a 105mm macro lens would be possible. It took some tries ;)

Omen 27i at 165 Hz, OD at Level 2. Cropped in a little bit:
165Hz L2.jpg
165Hz L2.jpg (394.68 KiB) Viewed 13786 times

The track doesn't look bad either:
165Hz L2 Track.jpg
165Hz L2 Track.jpg (404.58 KiB) Viewed 13786 times

And the beautiful inverse ghosting of the maximum overdrive :lol:
165Hz L4.jpg
165Hz L4.jpg (372.22 KiB) Viewed 13786 times

Setup:
Sony A7 ii with Sigma 105 mm 1:2.8 DG Macro HSM and Sony LA-EA3 adapter on a Neewer 100cm carbon slider.

I also did a full review of the Omen 27i. The ghosting and motion blur section starts at 8:55. It's the same panel as the LG 27GL850 and ViewSonic XG270QG, so pretty similar performance.
phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Macro Pursuits feat Omen 27i (LG LM270WQA Panel)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jul 2020, 21:34

techless wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 06:36
I was curious if pursuit camera photos with a 105mm macro lens would be possible. It took some tries ;)
That is some fantastic pursuit camera work!

Normally I recommend that cameras be put at viewing distance of a human head, so that color distortions from LCD viewing angles more approximately simulate a human.

However, there is definite merit to macro work for close inspection.

From inspecting a zoomed version of your sync track (ladder)
-- Visually Estimated Vertical Tracking Error: ~0.2 pixel.
You have relatively accurate vertical tracking error margin (probably ~0.2 pixel over the course of 4 refresh cycles when I zoom into your sync track), given how the screendoor effect is mostly vertically unblurred.

-- Estimated Horizontal Tracking Error: ~0.5 pixel.
I see that the total sync track accumulated misalign is probably approximately ~0.5 pixel of horizontal tracking error margin. Very good for a manually propelled pursuit camera.

Now, what I have not really seen often, is extremely high resolution focussed on all those motionblurred pixels, to see details that are normally below human-visibility noisefloor because they're so tiny! Macro for pursuits is usually overkill, but they do definitely capture details that are fascinating to inspect closely.

Interesting catch I observe:
Now, since you captured so many megapixels with these pursuits, revealing ever tinier motion artifacts that are not visible to human eye (unless you have really good vision). Zooming closer to your images, I notice some interseting digital stepping artifact (see the faint vertical bands)
vertical-bands.jpg
vertical-bands.jpg (380.01 KiB) Viewed 13552 times
Very subtle. I wonder if this is some kind of ultrahighfrequency LCD PWM that is not 100% DC-filtered. It could also be a very subtle (nearly invisible) digital camera sensor sampling artifact, but I know some monitors PWM-free backlights have some ultra-faint PWM from insufficient capacitor filtering (etc). This would not be visible to most human eyes, though. If you used a motionspeed of 960pps, it looks like a possible 1000Hz PWM that was (imperfectly) capacitor filtered into PWM-freeness:
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

techless

Re: Macro Pursuits feat Omen 27i (LG LM270WQA Panel)

Post by techless » 24 Jul 2020, 11:40

Thank you Chief!

I'm always fascinated how many details you're able to spot from a single photo. I had to crop and compress them quite a bit to fit the upload limit. I will send you the full res images.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 21:34
If you used a motionspeed of 960pps, it looks like a possible 1000Hz PWM that was (imperfectly) capacitor filtered into PWM-freeness:
Yes, I'm using the standard settings.