ASUS TUF GAMING VG279QM

Many sites including LinusTechTips, RTINGS, TomsHardware, and others use the free Blur Busters pursuit camera invention. Now also available as a rail-less smartphone wave, too!
Discorz
VIP Member

ASUS TUF GAMING VG279QM

Post by Discorz » 08 Feb 2021, 17:23

OSD settings:
 - everything stock (Racing Mode, Contrast 80, Adapive-Sync ON, HDR off) except Brightness 10, Color Temp. > User Mode > R98, G99, B96 (tftcentral.co.uk calibration)
 - enabling EMLB or ELMB-SYNC automatically changes Brightness to 90.
 - Overclocking ON
 - shipped with firmware MCM103

Setup:
 - ASUS DUAL-RX580-O4G
 - DP cable, not the one included, worked perfect
 - Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S camera

VIEW IN FULL RESOLUTION AND ZOOM FOR BETTER QUALITY!
Strobed vs strobed+vrr vs sample-and-hold ufos (5844x3660), brighter image here: https://i.ibb.co/qnPYs8R/VG279-QM-Blur- ... pg-1-2.jpg
- ∼960p/s, middle screen, middle cyan, fullscreen ufo
- overshoot at OD 120 is placed in-between OD 80 and OD 100 (OD 90)
- there was no point of recording OverDrives bellow 40, but OverDrive acts different with HDMI cable - overshoot already starts to appear with OD 20 @240Hz

DP cable: win10 at 60Hz shows 10-bit, should do 240Hz 10-bit, 280Hz 8-bit
HDMI cable: 60Hz 12-bit

Strobe Crosstalk @120Hz and @280Hz with ELMB (not ELMB-SYNC)
VG279QM Strobe Crosstalk 120Hz and 280Hz jpg.jpg
VG279QM Strobe Crosstalk 120Hz and 280Hz jpg.jpg (953.86 KiB) Viewed 37138 times
No Frameskipping @280Hz if anyone is into that
VG279QM No Frameskipping jpg.jpg
VG279QM No Frameskipping jpg.jpg (891.63 KiB) Viewed 37138 times
Attachments
VG279QM Blur Buster UFO Ghosting Test jpg.jpg
VG279QM Blur Buster UFO Ghosting Test jpg.jpg (4.36 MiB) Viewed 37138 times
Last edited by Discorz on 20 Sep 2021, 05:54, edited 5 times in total.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: ASUS TUF GAMING VG279QM

Post by Discorz » 08 Feb 2021, 17:46

MORE STUFF

The issue of ~35ms input lag @60Hz that was reported by many reviewers is true, not good for gaming but fine for desktop usage.
Since I don't have any devices to measure input lag I've made this reaction time chart to see what numbers say (tested at humanbenchmark.com). Interestingly OD 120 consistently had the same lag on average as OD 0. From this chart its visible that slower response time (OD 0 vs 100) affect input lag only by a very small fraction.
These are an average number of many many tests, around 50 tests per result, so it should be quite accurate.
(This chart will be updated from time to time.)

To clarify how to open secret OSD/Factory Menu for OD 120:
 - turn off monitor
 - click power and joystick button at the same time, the monitor should power on
 - open OSD normally with click of a joystick button, now the OSD is placed in top left corner instead of bottom right.
 - notice the small letter "F" in corner next to Gaming tab. You can select (blue color) and open it just like all the other tabs. So now open "F" tab and look for "OD Strong Weak". It is set to ON by default, re-enable it ON/OFF and your OD will be 120.
 - next time monitor is turned off the regular OSD menu will come back, so you will need to repeat the process if needed.

There is no PWM setting on MCM103 firmware, its available on MCM105 tho but it can't be modified - MCM104, MCM105
VG279QM Secret OSD Menu jpg.jpg
VG279QM Secret OSD Menu jpg.jpg (76.16 KiB) Viewed 37126 times

Image retention after ufo ghosting testing, retention always disappeares within 5 minutes
VG279QM Image Retention jpg_2.jpg
VG279QM Image Retention jpg_2.jpg (261.55 KiB) Viewed 37126 times
- picture shows retention on dark gray background
- do not worry about this, it's only present after ufo motion test
- white vertical wavy lines you see are not monitor artifacts, they are due to picture resolution

Something I hate about this monitor is how long it takes to power on.
Usually on other monitors win 10 would boot up in 13sec, now its 17sec before desktop pops.
If anyone knows how to shorten its boot times let me know.
Last edited by Discorz on 06 Sep 2021, 15:20, edited 20 times in total.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2021, 04:09

That's some fantastic pursuit camera testing of the VG279QM.

I've modified your image to be clickable to the bigger version.

Thanks for creating these comparison images!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 09 Feb 2021, 06:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 04:09
That's some fantastic pursuit camera testing of the VG279QM.
Glad the Chief likes it :D

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 10 Feb 2021, 21:55

could you take a zoomed in pic/comparison of 280 hz ELMB on (not elmbsync) of bottom ufo vs middle ufo cyan ?

from what I can see in many videos and screenshots of vg279qm and vg259qm,
the strobe crosstalk calibrated by ASUS is actually better on the bottom than it is in the center for some reason :S

here is some examples from aperturegrille.com review of the monitor: (amazingly thorough and professional testing/review by this guy btw, https://www.aperturegrille.com/reviews/ASUSVG279QM/ )

these are all elmb ON 280 hz, looks cleaner to me on the bottom than center/top anyway... maybe not extreme difference but I can't help but think the calibration is done wrong and the center should look like the bottoms does kind of?

EDIT: in your fullscreen pic I can see the same thing, bottom looks cleaner than middle/top, look at the right side of the ufos for example, but still a more zoomed in comparison of bottom vs center would be cool, cheers

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 11 Feb 2021, 02:35

alexander1986 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 21:55
the strobe crosstalk calibrated by ASUS is actually better on the bottom than it is in the center for some reason :S
I can confirm that is true, and aperturegrille/ashun's ufos are on point.
His pic shows dark cyan ufo at top screen/middle cyan ufo at middle screen/light cyan ufo at bottom screen.

EDIT:
Correction: aperturegrille/ashun's ufo pursuit shots above are not top/middle/bottom, all three cyan shades are in middle of the screen
Last edited by Discorz on 12 May 2021, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 11 Feb 2021, 03:15

Discorz wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 02:35
alexander1986 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 21:55
I can confirm that is true, and aperturegrille/ashun's ufos are on point.
His pic shows dark cyan ufo at top screen/middle cyan ufo at middle screen/light cyan ufo at bottom screen.

Damn, I find it almost unbelievable that ASUS fucked up like this on the calibration, especially without option to manually adjust the strobe phase/area like on benq monitors :/

seriously, how could the technicians in the calibration phase on the factories or whatever, when the monitor was first manufactured and developed, miss this??? or somehow think that its ok for the bottom to look better than center when strobing? :shock:

I am extra upset because this exact thing is stopping me from buying the monitor Lol.

right now am waiting to check out the asus vg258qm (TN version of vg259qm) to be tested first and see some testufo results on that before getting a new monitor I guess

wonder if its perhaps possible to fix via firmware update from asus or something, I wonder if they are even aware of this at all, again I find this insane! also weird that it is not mentioned in any review or noted at all from what I can see either, have not seen anyone else even mention this but all the videos and pics of these monitors show the same fault in the calibration..

@Chief Blur Buster

sorry but I feel I have to ask you at least, do you not agree that the calibration on asus vg259qm/vg279qm is done in a bad way ? you could look at any videos or photos from the asus vg259qm / vg279qm that you can find anywhere and i'm 99.99% sure that the result will be the same wherever you look,

at least I have scoured the entire internet and everything I see and everyone I ask back it up, that the crosstalk area is calibrated to be best on the bottom instead of center, is there any chance you could talk to asus about the issue? ideally the center should look like the bottom does at the moment ...

perhaps it could be fixed with a firmware update?

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 11 Feb 2021, 12:00

Whole Asus's Tuf Gaming lineup (monitors, gpus, motherboards, laptops...) is usually not the greatest. They always seem to purposely make products imperfect to cut down on price.

There is a PWM (pulse width modulation) option in secret OSD that comes with firmware MCM104 (and probably 105). That might help with crosstalk but I am not sure if it can be modified ( MCM105: https://i.imgur.com/6vX2iLR.jpg ).
Unfortunately firmware can not be updated on these monitors. They come shipped with one of the firmware. kinda a sample lottery.

I can assure you you will not notice that untuned crosstalk in games.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 11 Feb 2021, 23:24

Discorz wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 12:00
Whole Asus's Tuf Gaming lineup (monitors, gpus, motherboards, laptops...) is usually not the greatest. They always seem to purposely make products imperfect to cut down on price.

There is a PWM (pulse width modulation) option in secret OSD that comes with firmware MCM104 (and probably 105). That might help with crosstalk but I am not sure if it can be modified ( MCM105: https://i.imgur.com/6vX2iLR.jpg ).
Unfortunately firmware can not be updated on these monitors. They come shipped with one of the firmware. kinda a sample lottery.

I can assure you you will not notice that untuned crosstalk in games.

ah I see, no firmware update then I guess but perhaps a new revision with new firmware, in any case I know the ufo test and crosstalk test greatly magnifies any crosstalk issues, and its usually hard/harder to notice in games,

(depends how bad the crosstalk is and what kind of game/what kind of colors etc too of course)

its just a really annoying thing for me lol idk why, because testufo is sooo clean on the bottom for a IPS panel on these asus monitors.. would make the monitor even more good value for its price if it was calibrated properly imo !

I am also probably not "normal" user since I use strobing all the time even on desktop 24/7 and movies etc, just love that CRT/glassy feeling, feels like the old CRT quake1 days :mrgreen: so for me strobing quality is #1 (and response time/input lag)

ah well, it is what it is I guess, currently waiting for the vg258qm testufo results! if its the same problem there then will have to get some other monitor,

the vg279qm and vg259qm are still GREAT monitors and super good value for money, just very annoying this detail for strobing freaks like me lol.

cheers !

mcxr6s

Post by mcxr6s » 10 Apr 2021, 23:04

So in this case, what is the best setting for me that plays at 280 + fps competitively on the R6S?