Latency Caused By Power Instabilities Caused by Computer Fans

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
r0ach

Post by r0ach » 15 Jan 2024, 04:32

I ran an open case system for a long time with just a single fan on the CPU. Through iterations of that system I even had the fan plugged into an external outlet and not run through the PSU at all. I recently bought a "gamer" case with three fans in the front and one in the back to see if this excessive airflow would be good for my 7800xt.

No matter what configuration I connect the fans with whether it's each fan connected to an individual molex connector by itself or all fans connected to a single fan controller going to one molex power connecter, mouse movement is WAY heavier with all these fans connected. I will now be heading back to my single fan setup and will probably even power it externally bypassing the PSU.

Forget the people talking about EMF from radioactive pipes in the walls or UFOs, if you have heavy cursor movement (since it seems like a lot of you run an insanely high amount of fans) this is probably your main problem. As to why this issue occurs, can't tell you. Either the fans generate a field while running and feed noise into the PSU or maybe some PSUs just don't handle being pulled on by numerous small devices at once. I have a platinum Corsair (Great Wall OEM but it scores God-like in tests better than just about anything), so this phenomenon will probably be noticeable on many other (all?) PSUs.

ahead

Re: After 75 years I solved your input lag

Post by ahead » 15 Jan 2024, 04:47

I can confirm that every professional, when it came to playing the LAN disassembly case and reconnecting the fans, I saw that myself.

amorou

Post by amorou » 15 Jan 2024, 04:54

r0ach wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2024, 04:32
I ran an open case system for a long time with just a single fan on the CPU. Through iterations of that system I even had the fan plugged into an external outlet and not run through the PSU at all. I recently bought a "gamer" case with three fans in the front and one in the back to see if this excessive airflow would be good for my 7800xt.

No matter what configuration I connect the fans with whether it's each fan connected to an individual molex connector by itself or all fans connected to a single fan controller going to one molex power connecter, mouse movement is WAY heavier with all these fans connected. I will now be heading back to my single fan setup and will probably even power it externally bypassing the PSU.

Forget the people talking about EMF from radioactive pipes in the walls or UFOs, if you have heavy cursor movement (since it seems like a lot of you run an insanely high amount of fans) this is probably your main problem. As to why this issue occurs, can't tell you. Either the fans generate a field while running and feed noise into the PSU or maybe some PSUs just don't handle being pulled on by numerous small devices at once. I have a platinum Corsair (Great Wall OEM but it scores God-like in tests better than just about anything), so this phenomenon will probably be noticeable on many other (all?) PSUs.
Yes it is happening on all my psus , rmx750 , seasonic core 650 , aerocool vx400 , some tier A cooler master from 10 years ago
Also desoldering all leds from your mobo /pcie ethernet vs makes it better

beirut__

Post by beirut__ » 15 Jan 2024, 05:56

So how do you propose that we cool our graphic card
?

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 15 Jan 2024, 09:34

I wonder how AiO’s are impacting this issue if this is the case?

kriegsnake

Post by kriegsnake » 15 Jan 2024, 09:56

beirut__ wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2024, 05:56

?

dervu

Post by dervu » 15 Jan 2024, 10:56

kriegsnake wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2024, 09:56

?
Image :lol:
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

RealTweaker

Post by RealTweaker » 15 Jan 2024, 12:47

dervu wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2024, 10:56
kriegsnake wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2024, 09:56

?
Image :lol:
russianpcfreezer-557354806.jpg
russianpcfreezer-557354806.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
The fridge will also block out EMI

andreeeeee-

Post by andreeeeee- » 15 Jan 2024, 18:31

Hey, r0ach, glad to see you here.

Your threads on OCN basically founded the tweak community.

About your finding, for anyone interested in this issue regarding fans/molex, there is an almost 10 year old thread on OCN discussing it: https://www.overclock.net/threads/after ... em.1524063

r0ach

Post by r0ach » 15 Jan 2024, 21:44

andreeeeee- wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2024, 18:31
Hey, r0ach, glad to see you here.

Your threads on OCN basically founded the tweak community.

About your finding, for anyone interested in this issue regarding fans/molex, there is an almost 10 year old thread on OCN discussing it: https://www.overclock.net/threads/after ... em.1524063
The fan issue is kind of a complex subject. On my setup it feels like each additional fan brings an additive effect to creating heavier cursor movement (and maybe some types of fans are worse than others - no idea yet). If someone prefers heavier cursor movement for aim they might not see this as a problem. I could see people removing four fans from their PSU and noticing mouse movement feels 1/10th as heavy and actually playing worse.

Some people hit the lottery on their builds and it just winds up ideal for their aim with the random parts they bought. For other people, you have to add or remove components if something is causing a problem. For my current setup, I run 7800xt with modded/stripped AMD drivers installed via driver only mode. Mouse movement is more sensitive than any Nvidia drivers released in the last several years. With the combination of removing all the fans + the stripped AMD drivers, I play better at 1440p because it's actually overly quick/sensitive at 1080p.

So as you can see, depending on your preference for heavier or light cursor movement and each person's hardware variables, issues like this are going to range from no problem to enormous problem for some people. Having four fans plugged in feels overly heavy for me with any combination of variables, though.