[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
mello

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by mello » 25 Jan 2021, 06:59

nuggify wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 20:50
Amazing, you went years suspecting its internet without actually looking into it or checking that you are getting out of order packets.
Anyone who had this problem since early 2000's knew 100% it was internet from the start, because back then there were certain things that still could be done (on ADSL/DSL connections) to fix this issue. The only problem was finding the root cause of this whole thing, which has never been found. So, the only speculations were in relation to the root cause & mechanism by which this issue occurs.

Also, how do you see some random guy, that claims that he has problems with gaming, contacting ISP and getting anything done ? Tens of thousands people tried that and it always ended the same: "The ISP would only perform basic troubleshooting and just send a tech out to their homes to tell them there is no problem with their network." So forget about this "non existent" issue (as technicians see no problems) and the information reaching ISP executives and them contacting game developers or engine developers. That can only be done if you have certain connections like this guy had, otherwise no one will ever bother to look into it.
nuggify wrote:
Well wish it was that easy for me. Wish it was also just one game.
It isn't just a one game. Every single one FPS game behaves the same when these network issues are present.
Every online game that relies on UDP packets will be affected to a certain degree by this problem.
nuggify wrote:
As Boop stated it was an issue with Unreal engine and how Epic had networked that.
NO. You still don't get it FFS. It is a problem with certain ISP's that are messing up with UDP packets that are being sent out to the server. This is why this issue only occurs on certain ISP's or with certain configurations / devices that are used within ISP's networks. It shouldn't be happening, as online gaming worked flawlessly for years, until the expansion happened and more and more people started getting internet in their homes.
nuggify wrote:
Seems it was also a problem on their (Epics) side if they were able to find a solution.
Again, no. Read the first sentence from Boop's post. Also, it is not clear if this is a solution or a mere workaround that still adds latency, which will still cause server making decisions in other players favour more often than not. It is also not clear if out of order packets are the root cause or only a part of it.
nuggify wrote:
And no, sorry it does not confirm anything you have been shouting about.
Stop talking about things you have no idea about. You have no idea what i have been saying for years, as you are here only for 12 months.
nuggify wrote:
In order for that, you actually need to go gather the data and show that you are getting out of order packets. Then do the same for your mobile connection (the one without these issues) and compare.
You still don't get it. It won't change anything, even if out of order packets are the root cause or only part of the problem. ISP's won't even attempt to fix it on their end, ever. ISP's are the problem, not the game engine.
UDP is a lightweight protocol that by design doesn't handle things like packet sequencing. TCP is a better choice if you want robust packet delivery and sequencing. UDP is generally designed for applications where packet loss is acceptable or preferable to the delay which TCP incurs when it has to re-request packets. UDP is therefore commonly used for media streaming. If you're limited to using UDP you would have to develop a method of identifying the out of sequence packets and resequencing them.

UDP does not guarantee that your packets will arrive in order. (It does not even guarantee that your packets will arrive at all.)

UDP does not guarantee that a packet will arrive intact or not at all (i.e., it has a checksum) and it also adds port numbers to raw IP. It doesn't guarantee delivery or sequencing; those are what TCP adds (by basically shouting out a packet until the other end says that it has arrived). Guaranteed correct in-order delivery is also enough that you can pretend you've got a stream of data (hence TCP is a streaming socket, since that's pretty commonly desired)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/374 ... der-in-udp
So, it all comes down to how robust your ISP's network is. Also, anything that additionally interferes with UDP packets, will most likely create this issue, making it more severe or even making FPS gaming online completely unplayable. This explains exactly what is happening, as everyone is differently affected by this problem, and many people are not. If you are luckly enough and your ISP is handling UDP packets correctly, then you will enjoy flawless or near flawless gaming experience online. If you are unlucky, then you will always be skill capped to a certain degree and you won't be able to do anything about that.
nuggify wrote:
But unfortunately this thread is not at all about any problems relating to just specific games/engines. It states in the title it is power/EMI. It is system wide input issues. Too bad you have a reading comprehension problem and cannot get that through your head. Refer to the OP again please.
From the looks of it, you are the one who has reading comprehension problems, not me. I already explained to you, that many people may be desperate enough and convince themselves that they are dealing with power/EMI issues (as nothing they tried works), but in fact their problems are caused by the internet. They are not aware of that because in terms on internet quality & performance, they are limited to thinking about sheer speed internet they have, ping, lags (ping spikes) and packet loss. When in reality this issue is simply not detected and measured and reflected by ping and packet loss.
nuggify wrote:
You seem to just parrot this idea that most of these threads on these input lag/desync problems are related to this elusive ISP issue and not a power issue.
Are you dump or something ? I already explained my reasoning & provided all the valid argumentation (that you choose to ignore) as i have been dealing with these issues, talking with other people on many different forums, for nearly 20 years. I have seen all kinds of craziness that people come up with while trying to fix this issue. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that so many people jumped on this power/EMI thing, where in most cases it most likely has nothing to do with that. And it definitely has nothing to do with power/emi, if they are experiencing hit reg & peeking corners issues in FPS games. This thing feels exactly like input lag & packets being dropped but it is simply not reflected by standard ping & packet loss measurements. As i said, power/EMI should only be considered when issues occur system wide & offline. If they don't it is internet issue which has nothing to do with power/EMI.
nuggify wrote:
And yet many, many of the very people posting them have tried multiple ISPs, verified its not just online lag etc.
I have already explained why that might not work and for multiple different reasons. One needs to simply get lucky with ISP which does not have this problem or the problem is much less severe & less noticable.
nuggify wrote:
Don't you think if it was related to ISP that switching out all that gear and trying another ISP would fix it, at least in one instance for these folks ?
People are usually limited to the number of ISP's they can try. Also, more often than not, certain ISP's are only leasing the infrastructure (or part of it) from the main ISP in certain region / country. So in some cases, changing ISP may be meaningless, as the only difference will be the price and ISP's name, but not the quality of the connection that you will be getting.

delve

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by delve » 25 Jan 2021, 11:56

blackmagic, you are in the wrong thread, you already denied power/emi being the issue, what do you expect from us now except hinting in this very direction.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 25 Jan 2021, 14:40

blackmagic wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 12:18
delve wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 11:56
blackmagic, you are in the wrong thread, you already denied power/emi being the issue, what do you expect from us now except hinting in this very direction.
i denied this only because of 1 reason...
i don't believe that 2 different apartments has same 1:1 bad power/emi issue and affecting games 1:1 in different location.

that just way to crazy. but i gonna leave this thread because it looks like you guys talk about offline input only ? or i understand something wrong ?

i read a comment from a guy that has 2 pc builds and he says that he has only bad experience on one of them when it comes to online gaming and he don't knows why he has bad experience with that build and what is wrong with it...

but here comes the fun part: he experience this issues on a pc that is way better than the other pc...

funny or ?
people try 5 different places with same problem only 6 one was clean and you try just 2 pfff go try more places

victor910

Post by victor910 » 25 Jan 2021, 22:27

I'm trying a different city, country and continent, Europe and Australia :), no different, end of the EMI story?

gadpaw

Post by gadpaw » 26 Jan 2021, 03:11

Hi guys
I think i found how fix this problem. (and sry for bad english)

Need execute next steps:
1. Most important, give max smoothness !!!
Delete Realtek Audio and install win drivers like in answer on link (sry link not post)

i copy text from answer

"Press “Windows key + X”

Select “Device manager” from the list.

Now go to the “Sound, video and game controllers” section.

Here, you should search for “Realtek High Definition Audio” under the list of audio device drivers. Right click and select “Disable”.

Right click again and this time click on “Update driver software”

Opt for “Browse my computer for driver software”

Now go for “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”

A window asking you to select the driver that you want to install for the device should now appear.

You might see a list of available drivers. Click on “High definition audio device” and then hit “Next”

When asked, select “Yes” and a confirmation window should appear indicating that the process has completed.

When asked to reboot, say yes."

2. U need load mem and gpu, temp mem more 46+. I use for this cb2007
3. Optional add smoothness and mouse accuracy.
Connect if u can u keyboard to ps/2 or usb 2 and mouse to usb 2 with polling rate 500 Hz.
4. For online game - If u have bad ISP, try use VPN, it is mb help with hit reg and desync.
5. Try other optimizations. Calypto's Latency Guide, fr33thy etc

And intresting info:
When computer freezes -> shader cache add input lag
Ultra low latency not good for all games (cs go, valorant good, pubg very bad)

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 26 Jan 2021, 03:20

also you need ultra durable metal case with shielded cables to monitor, with this you will go to minimum input lag

-
-
-
If you want still looking for RFI/EMI sources good luck @ have fun

With this, your neighbor can watching hes old TV and listening hes old radio and other stuff and you can play games without any interference

gadpaw

Post by gadpaw » 26 Jan 2021, 04:46

sry i not say:
0. U need off u old broken refrigerator.

My system: ryzen 3600, mboard msi m7, video card asus 2060S. For intel system mb some different

Upd. Next try hd audio use from pront panel, and disable speaker!

Upd2. Mb front panel give more smoothness then rear, need test because i use ddu and mb this something change...

And next ... my system have minimu 3 mode work founded on sound system and mem stand by cache:
(until I consider the difference between rear panle and front panel sound, usb, shader cache ...)

1. Realtek drivers from mother board site -> low input lag, no smoothness, good mouse accuracy - unplayable, because statter. freezes ... etc. Sometimes this mode switches to mode 3, mb on 5-20 sec hz why...
2. Uninstall realtek drivers, and install def windows sound drivers -> max input lag, great, perfect, unbelivible smoothness, bad mouse accuracy, effect floating mouse - i think best variant for single game, and mb for some moba game ...
3. This mode start work when u got mode 2 and start play game session, clear stand by cache (use freezkiller in dram ryzen calc or some), AND U NEED OPEN U HEADPHONES PROPERTIES AND DELETE FLAG FROM LOUDNESS EQUALIZATION, SELECT DISABLE ALL ENHANCEMENT, CLOSE PROPERTIES, CLOSE SOUND PANEL, AND NEXT REJOIN THIS, UNCHECK DISABLE ALL ENHANCEMENT, AND CHOOSEN LOUDNESS EQUALIZATION - PABAM -> mid or mb low input lag, good smoothness, good mouse accuracy, no effect floating mouse -> best variant for competitive gaming!

Bad news.
Extra cabel to usb and sound to front panel work like resistors and u get max smoothness gaming without statter, but u have a big input lag increase.
Platform with ddr4 good work only in laboratory...((
Last edited by RealNC on 26 Jan 2021, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post.

mello

Post by mello » 02 Feb 2021, 10:22

Boop wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 02:43
Another issue that can be solved by using a VPN is when an ISP sends out of order UDP packets to a game server.

I spent quite some time troubleshooting issues with jitter and packet loss to servers hosted in AWS. I eventually found threads of many Fortnite players (FN is hosted in AWS) reporting packet loss on my ISP's forums. The ISP would only perform basic troubleshooting and just send a tech out to their homes to tell them there is no problem with their network.

I took all of this information and escalated the issue to the ISP executives through a friend. Epic Games was eventually contacted to help troubleshoot the problem. Shortly thereafter, Epic Games posted this thread on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/com ... ical_post/

TLDR: Unreal Engine was discarding packets that were received out of order!

I confirmed this was the issue all along by creating an EC2 Instance in AWS (Virtual Server) and performing some network tests using iPerf. The logs from iPerf showed there was 0% packet loss but the packets were received out of order!

The changes made to the Unreal Engine by Epic Games made a big difference and the ordering issue with my ISP eventually went away.
More on the out of order packets issue, which looks more and more like the root cause behind everything and ISP's network resilience, devices & configuration being the main culprit behind poor UDP packet handling:
Essentially this is packet loss, even though the game does not alert the user of the issue (packet loss indicator) and there is no way to diagnose this problem as of right now. Packet loss or extensive out of order packets would result in degraded simulation accuracy and make it very difficult for people to predict where people are going, register shots, and otherwise participate in a real time fashion. This doesn't just effect Fortnite, it effects all games and how extensive depends on the engine and the netcode. I did not know this was a huge issue, but apparently it is.

Currently there does not seem to be any sort of ways of diagnosing this.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 02 Feb 2021, 14:22

you guys talking aboute ISP..
- i had 3 different network providers in my town.
- nothing changed