[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
zeebz

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by zeebz » 26 Aug 2021, 00:54

dervu wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 10:00
I want to share some results I had in recent 3 months.
I am not saying it is permanent fix (that needs probably months to pass to be sure) let alone fix for everyone.
Seems that symptoms can overlap between different sources of this issue. For example I didn't have any problems with display quality, but with mouse movement, keyboard lag, desync. Others have both issues, but have already checked things I did and they didn't help them permanently/for longer time.
Didn't have other symptoms in any devices other than laptop/PC.
Also there is major difference in one test that I will mention below that shows something is really screwed up for many people who have more severe symptoms.

At beginning of this year I hired electrician to check my wiring. He found out fusebox was bad (30 y old fusebox with old type screwed in fuses).
Also my electrician told me that there is a problem on whole neighbourhood with voltage spikes. Measured by multimeter it showed max 2,5V drops, but UPS shows as low as 224V (when it should be 230V). They fixed those spikes for some period of time years ago (big grocery store near was the problem), but then it came back and since then it is there.
Month later electrician replaced fuse box, instant difference. Mouse behaves as it should, allowing to build muscle memory, gaming started to feel like it should.
After having it stable for 1 month I wanted to make sure that there is no difference between what should be perfect and what I had.
I bought online UPS (double conversion + voltage stabilization).
Comparing mouse movement while connected to UPS and straight to socket it shows clear but subtle difference ( compared to what fixing fusebox bring it is minor). On UPS cursor stops faster, without UPS it is more loose.

What UPS bring in measurements is lowering Total Harmonic Distortion from 01.8%-2.2% to 00.7% + voltage stabilization.
Then I went to main point of buying UPS. Checking if it runs different on battery (off grid) only vs connected to socket (on grid). No difference at all. < This is the major difference between me and others who have tried running on battery and having it run perfectly on battery and not while connected to grid, while also having more symptoms than me.
This shows that at least for me it was about wiring (major) and a bit of voltage spikes or lowering THD a bit (minor).

For others it might be more complicated. Don't expect anyone to bring out perfect solution for you, because there might not be universal fix Maybe only if you have symptoms perfectly aligning with other people. I think that trying to run on UPS battery only and comparing it at least can give you clear answer if something is wrong (if you do not have ability to move your PC somewhere else). At least for this pandemic time it is nice way to check.

Summary:
- Loose connections / wiring at old fuse box was major source
- UPS on battery shows no difference vs UPS connected to grid.
- Using UPS connected to grid vs PC connected straight to socket shows subtle difference - either having pure sine wave or stabilizing voltage brings that effect.

I hope that this helps someone.
Hello, I know this is an old post so I'm going to be as straight forward as possible. I have basically the same symptoms as you in terms of input lag and desync, my symptoms with this problem are definitely not as bad as others but still makes games unplayable to me at a competitive level. This happens on my desktop too and I have replaced every hardware component and of my computer along with many different mouses/keyboards and have also tried a double conversion ups that only mitigates the problem a tiny bit. I'm just asking for an update on your apparent fix and if it's still working. The reason I point out your post specifically is because when I run the ups purely off battery, nothing changes, this points to my problem being similar to yours as you have also reported that running a ups off battery makes no difference for your particular situation. So I would be very grateful if you could give me an additional update on your input lag situation after fixing your fusebox/wiring, thank you!

hiro

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by hiro » 26 Aug 2021, 12:35

I got the results today, its all good . Sine wave harmonics no instabile power or anything. Only what it shows a device does weird things at day and nighttime, we need to find that its a freezer or something and to much volt spikes when devices turned off on. And we change grounding and power what comes into the house. But now im not sure that it can be fixed and why it works in the Night when there is not much Change in power analyse between day and night...
I will post some pics later..

Fet

Post by Fet » 26 Aug 2021, 13:35

hiro wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 12:35
I got the results today, its all good . Sine wave harmonics no instabile power or anything. Only what it shows a device does weird things at day and nighttime, we need to find that its a freezer or something and to much volt spikes when devices turned off on. And we change grounding and power what comes into the house. But now im not sure that it can be fixed and why it works in the Night when there is not much Change in power analyse between day and night...
I will post some pics later..

You need to keep digging in this direction

dervu

Post by dervu » 26 Aug 2021, 13:58

zeebz wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 00:54
Hello, I know this is an old post so I'm going to be as straight forward as possible. I have basically the same symptoms as you in terms of input lag and desync, my symptoms with this problem are definitely not as bad as others but still makes games unplayable to me at a competitive level. This happens on my desktop too and I have replaced every hardware component and of my computer along with many different mouses/keyboards and have also tried a double conversion ups that only mitigates the problem a tiny bit. I'm just asking for an update on your apparent fix and if it's still working. The reason I point out your post specifically is because when I run the ups purely off battery, nothing changes, this points to my problem being similar to yours as you have also reported that running a ups off battery makes no difference for your particular situation. So I would be very grateful if you could give me an additional update on your input lag situation after fixing your fusebox/wiring, thank you!
Fuse box replacement made everything more stable permanently, it has been months since then. But that was just old fuse box contributing to general issue, that is still present.
Since then I tried a lot of others things, for example EMI filter having very broad range - almost military grade.
It's all during tests, that had some results, but a lot of things could have interfered and now I am trying to make sure its all tested properly, but do not expect anything for now - at best it is probably helping to some degree that I am not sure about, but not fixing.
If I get any long term results that will confirm anything at least being close to permanent fix, I will post it.
However one solution might not fit all, as symptoms vary among people.

Like you said, for me there was no difference between UPS running connected to socket and on battery only, which is weird compared to others, yet issue is still present. I might try it again sometime soon.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

TeCkNiiQs

Post by TeCkNiiQs » 28 Aug 2021, 01:52

I'm having same issues on all consoles (ps4,ps5 and Nintendo switch when its wired to tv) and on my high end pc. I have moved and tried double conversion ups. I also have tried many of the emi/rfi filters. Some of these things would make me feel like I have fixed it but then would come back in the next hour or until the next day. I'm out of ideas on what to try. Also at my original house before I moved had multiple electricians come with no success.

TeCkNiiQs

Post by TeCkNiiQs » 28 Aug 2021, 05:36

I also have been having the issue for over six years. I have moved with no success. Happens on all my consoles ( Nintendo switch when wired, Xbox one, ps4 and ps5) and also happens on high powered pc. Also tried double conversion ups on and off battery. Tried multiple emi/rfi filters. Before I moved at my old house multiple electricians. Everything I try works for a hour to maybe a day and issues come right back. 240hz feels like 30 fps. Tried 4 different monitors also. Had friends come over and play on it and wonder how I can even play on something like this. Alot of money thrown at it with no fix.

bijay135

Post by bijay135 » 28 Aug 2021, 09:28

Hello all, someone on reddit claims that this product fixed his issues completely even after a month on his follow up answer.
https://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pdp/ ... 19/6317655

Seems like it filters EMI/RFI noise so his claim seems legit to me. I don't have this available on my side also the sockets won't be compatible anyway. So, if anyone has tried this or something similar already do reply below your findings.

This is the reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warzone/commen ... urce=share

hiro

Post by hiro » 28 Aug 2021, 09:43

Very bad news again power company come today again to test. Seems like the problem are the photovoltaics/solar panels in my street every house has one the harmonics are way over the limits. They call on monday what they can change probaly nothing.....

hiro

Post by hiro » 28 Aug 2021, 10:16

bijay135 wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 09:28
Hello all, someone on reddit claims that this product fixed his issues completely even after a month on his follow up answer.

Seems like it filters EMI/RFI noise so his claim seems legit to me. I don't have this available on my side also the sockets won't be compatible anyway. So, if anyone has tried this or something similar already do reply below your findings.

For my case it didnt to anything this emi filters i had one installed into my fusebox.
I give torus power toroidal transformer a try when they cant do anything because they are expensive.
https://www.toruspower.com/ce-continental-europe/
https://www.toruspower.com/narrow-bandw ... ology-nbt/

bijay135

Post by bijay135 » 28 Aug 2021, 10:24

hiro wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 10:16
bijay135 wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 09:28

For my case it didnt to anything this emi filters i had one installed into my fusebox.
I give torus power toroidal transformer a try when they cant do anything because they are expensive.
https://www.toruspower.com/ce-continental-europe/
https://www.toruspower.com/narrow-bandw ... ology-nbt/
Thanks for letting us know.