[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Eonds

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by Eonds » 03 Sep 2021, 12:30

Nawafwabs wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 13:36
Chief Blur Busters wrote:IMPORTANT NOTE TO ENGINEERS / Ph.D's
While most of the time, this is a wild goose to red herrings, and EMI is definitely not the cause of most computer lag problems -- there are actual cases of EMI creating human-perceptible latencies because of the large amounts of error-detect-and-retransmit mechanisms inside NEWER computers. Even a modern PCI Express bus and a DisplayPort cable are both packet-data systems nowadays with error-detect and retransmit = LAG instead of CRASH! Death by a million nanoseconds. Please read this engineer post.

I did this test 2 days and i check it and it confirmed that the emi is the main issue

if you think power condition will fix it 100% this is wrong

You need to fix the hole house or you face this delay all your life or maybe you move to other house and do emi test over 24 hours to make sure not effect by other things

https://youtu.be/wGfhfayYfHU

I have some anecdotal evidence of multiple close friends that enabling spread spectrum options & SRIS within bios fixed most if not all the stuttering. This is mostly a ryzen issue i've been seing.... With that being said give it a try and see what happens. For me it made a massive difference and i live in a area with all types of interference. It's a very condensed area with many many satellite dishes, radios, routers, transformers, all types of things with motors inside them constantly running. I also have a fully metal case

aerin

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by aerin » 04 Sep 2021, 12:41

Eonds wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 12:30
Nawafwabs wrote:
While most of the time, this is a wild goose to red herrings, and EMI is definitely not the cause of most computer lag problems -- there are actual cases of EMI creating human-perceptible latencies because of the large amounts of error-detect-and-retransmit mechanisms inside NEWER computers. Even a modern PCI Express bus and a DisplayPort cable are both packet-data systems nowadays with error-detect and retransmit = LAG instead of CRASH! Death by a million nanoseconds. Please read this engineer post.

I did this test 2 days and i check it and it confirmed that the emi is the main issue

You need to fix the hole house or you face this delay all your life or maybe you move to other house and do emi test over 24 hours to make sure not effect by other things

I have some anecdotal evidence of multiple close friends that enabling spread spectrum options & SRIS within bios fixed most if not all the stuttering. This is mostly a ryzen issue i've been seing.... With that being said give it a try and see what happens. For me it made a massive difference and i live in a area with all types of interference. It's a very condensed area with many many satellite dishes, radios, routers, transformers, all types of things with motors inside them constantly running. I also have a fully metal case

You called me a close friend, lovely.

Now back to the important things, you must consider that not everyone has access to SRIS or RFI (e.g: Myself), so let's get this little tutorial in here [viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9029&start=10]

Also Eonds, you might want to tell the people about my Radeon SS Options.

Ok bye again see you in the cord

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 04 Sep 2021, 18:30

I've been going through this thread, no idea if my issue is EMI-related but I feel like it's 100% power-related and I have tried pretty much everything at this point. Long story short, I got a new gaming PC back in 2017, the PC was riddled with constant frame drops and stutters in-game, in 2019 I got another PC, all new parts, exact same thing, unplayable frame drops, and stutter in all games. Fast forward to 2021 and I got another PC, built it from scratch, exact same thing. I have tried everything and this issue has completely ruined gaming for me, gaming was once a hobby for me but now it's just stressful. I took my PC to another house but the issue persisted, I can only assume that the damage was already done at that point, I feel like my last option is to get yet another PC but instead take it to another house first before plugging it in at my house. I should add that I get tons of stutter on my Xbox Series X and PS5 which just adds to me thinking it power related.

leka164

Post by leka164 » 04 Sep 2021, 19:18

Eonds wrote:
Nawafwabs wrote:

Which motherboards even have these features Spread spectrum and SRIS?

JDoe

Post by JDoe » 05 Sep 2021, 02:00

Eonds wrote:
You know that spread spectrum option in BIOS is not supposed to protect your PC from EMI but rather to protect other electronics around from EMI created by your PC, right? So if you have some problem with input and enabling spread spectrum helps to resolve it that means that the problem lays inside your PC and not the outside.

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 05 Sep 2021, 11:56

Did anyone try CPU-Z 'Timers' tool to test if their clocks are drifting? I have been wondering if it is a reliable tool test clock drift and if it is related to EMI in any way.

While my ACPI and QPC timers are synchronized, RTC is often falling behind by milliseconds, which increases over time (sometimes RTC is faster than other timers by a little bit, but falls back after several seconds). Especially if I launch games, or other high workload processes while running the 'Timers' tool. I have tried fresh windows installation with default bios options, but RTC remains out of sync.

Also, some users report that they can also see HPET in their 'Timers' tool, but I don't see the timer for HPET, even though I didn't change any bcdedit settings (HPET is enabled by default in my bios).

dervu

Post by dervu » 05 Sep 2021, 13:26

Xehet wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 11:56
Did anyone try CPU-Z 'Timers' tool to test if their clocks are drifting? I have been wondering if it is a reliable tool test clock drift and if it is related to EMI in any way.

While my ACPI and QPC timers are synchronized, RTC is often falling behind by milliseconds, which increases over time (sometimes RTC is faster than other timers by a little bit, but falls back after several seconds). Especially if I launch games, or other high workload processes while running the 'Timers' tool. I have tried fresh windows installation with default bios options, but RTC remains out of sync.

Also, some users report that they can also see HPET in their 'Timers' tool, but I don't see the timer for HPET, even though I didn't change any bcdedit settings (HPET is enabled by default in my bios).
It is not related. I can tell by taking laptop to company (place where all works perfectly) and back to my home, no difference it is perfect synced.
However on PC at my place it is always desynced by some small amount, sometimes it holds for minute or longer but eventually it falls behind.
Didn't notice any correlation between symptoms and timers and I check them very often recently.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

SixRavens

Post by SixRavens » 05 Sep 2021, 13:56

Xehet wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 11:56

I tried, those are in sync. In a long long run or if I just spam start-stop-start-stop there happens to be a 0.01 diff.
No HPET shown tho, so it might be out of sync for a million and I wouldnt know)

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 05 Sep 2021, 16:46

JDoe wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 02:00
Eonds wrote:
You know that spread spectrum option in BIOS is not supposed to protect your PC from EMI but rather to protect other electronics around from EMI created by your PC, right? So if you have some problem with input and enabling spread spectrum helps to resolve it that means that the problem lays inside your PC and not the outside.
It works both ways actually. Your other PC parts can interfere with each other as well + the fans.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 05 Sep 2021, 16:47

leka164 wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 19:18
Eonds wrote:
Nawafwabs wrote:

Which motherboards even have these features Spread spectrum and SRIS?

Most motherboards that are more modern b450 and up. Even old ones have access to spread spectrum settings, RFI spread spectrum, VRM spread spectrum, SRIS, etc.