EMI / Bad Electricity 5 years journey (I 'fixed' it)

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
NJb

Re: EMI / Bad Electricity 5 years journey (I 'fixed' it)

Post by NJb » 20 Sep 2021, 10:03

Jaketown wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 15:13
About dirty peripherals, there is a thread where people complain about fast enemy players, while their players are slow in the game Fifa20 on PS4. And guy found a fix. There are Dualshock 1st and 2nd version (possibly 3rd). So when you plug in the Dualshock version 2, this happens. But when he plug in a Dualshock version 1, everything becomes normal. And someone have written that literally shifting gamepads during the match, you can see how to speed up opponents with Dualshock version 2 and slow down (becomes normal) when you plug in Dualshock version 1.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Tehnicheskie- ... -p/8359513
I never tested the DS4 controller in detail, my FIFA experience on the PS4 has always been extremely terrible both in UT and career mode. There was barely any difference between online and offline. I could never make a fast first-touch pass like every other player could, turning around was slow AF and dribbling vs high elo players was impossible to say the least.

I have used my controller on the PC albeit I never used it ever since I got my newest fully functioning PC so I can't speak 100% whether it was acting dirty or not, but I highly suspect it was dirty. My PS4 in a clean house exhibited the same symptoms as a dirty PC in a clean house. RDR2 (last game I played there) was still choppy and laggy.

Regarding the question from the EA forums you posted, it's really weird to answer because this can mean a handful of things:
1. He was having bad electricity from the start and the problem started being more apparent when he started using DS4 v2 wired, probably to charge. If I'm not wrong, the v2 you get with your PS4 so it would be safe to assume that he got the v1 some time AFTER he continuously used the v2 and he noticed that the newer (v1) one is much more responsive.
2. He had no electricity problems to begin with, but he once lent his PS4 to a friend who has this problem, damaging the DS4 controller (and ps4). He got his PS4 back and later used the v1 controller and noticed that it was better.
3. No electricity problems, but he bought his PS4 second-hand from a guy who had bad electricity and.. almost the same story as on point 2
4. Bad electricity, but somehow the v1 controller is much less susceptible to this kind of 'damage' than the v2, highly doubt it since they're very similar

Probably more, you get the idea.
MegaMelmek wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 08:12
I cant move now thats for sure…. I am dealing with exactly same issue 9 months now. Everything begin with new build PC just some parts like SSD, NVME was from old PC .I try new PC then like an alienware whatever i will get new KB and mouse do you think monitor too?
I don't know whether the monitor affects anything but I couldn't bring myself to use the old monitor with my freshly new PC. I recommend that you spend 300$ more beside your at least 1500$ new PC when you'll be able to buy it

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2021, 10:41

Hotdog Man wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 06:34
Chief, regarding the opening post, do you agree that it's possible for peripherals (mouse, KB, monitor, etc.) to be "corrupted" by bad electricity and continue to perform badly even when moved to a better environment?
Short answer, no.*

It’s a temporary effect.

*However, one caveat is corruption in the flash memories built into peripherals, from very intense fields. The symptom would more be crashes and nonfunctional-ness, instead of lag. So error-correction lag won’t “stick” when removed from the problematic environment. Any other claims is tinfoilhattery rather than science.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 20 Sep 2021, 11:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 10:41
Hotdog Man wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 06:34
Chief, regarding the opening post, do you agree that it's possible for peripherals (mouse, KB, monitor, etc.) to be "corrupted" by bad electricity and continue to perform badly even when moved to a better environment?
Short answer, no.*

It’s a temporary effect.

*However, one caveat is corruption in the flash memories built into peripherals, from very intense fields. The symptom would more be crashes and nonfunctional-ness, instead of lag. So error-correction lag won’t “stick” when removed from the problematic environment. Any other claims is tinfoilhattery rather than science.
Is it possible that these peripherals "absorb" these nasty fields into them ?maybe this is a new discovery ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2021, 12:24

Mugabi wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 11:29
Is it possible that these peripherals "absorb" these nasty fields into them ?maybe this is a new discovery ?
Please stick to legitimate issues. Interference is NOT a new discovery.

While, EMI is a real problem, lag issues aren't "absorbed" -- it only occurs because of an error correction latency because interference is causing things like packet loss in mouse cables. After a while of flawless transmissions, the error correction latencies disappear, due to the nature of error correction algorithms, they go back to normal. Like when in a low-interference area. While lag can indeed be caused by EMi (as a side effect of error correction latency) -- let’s not claim it as a new thing, nor extend into such non-scientific areas like that suggestion of “absorb”. Intense fields can damage disks, flash, etc, but they don’t create “permanent lag” when interference is removed.

I don't want to expand EMI scope to fake territory.
Please, no further questions about tin foil hat topics.
Stick to real, true, scientific EMI problems.

Thank you.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NJb

Post by NJb » 20 Sep 2021, 15:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 12:24
Mugabi wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 11:29
Please stick to legitimate issues. Interference is NOT a new discovery.

While, EMI is a real problem, lag issues aren't "absorbed" -- it only occurs because of an error correction latency because interference is causing things like packet loss in mouse cables. After a while of flawless transmissions, the error correction latencies disappear, due to the nature of error correction algorithms, they go back to normal. Like when in a low-interference area. While lag can indeed be caused by EMi (as a side effect of error correction latency) -- let’s not claim it as a new thing, nor extend into such non-scientific areas like that suggestion of “absorb”. Intense fields can damage disks, flash, etc, but they don’t create “permanent lag” when interference is removed.

I don't want to expand EMI scope to fake territory.
Please, no further questions about tin foil hat topics.
Stick to real, true, scientific EMI problems.

Thank you.
Please do not try to derail this thread from its original purpose. This thread was not made by any means to make people aware of a new ghostly-like problem. It is absolutely a legitimate issue which affects many people and not "1 in a million" like you said. There are hundreds of people on the Internet which I've kept contact to throughout the years but very few of them actually register and post on tech forums, mainly due to them not being technically skilled enough to describe this problem in detail without looking like fools and being silenced by the 'hardware geek' mob. This, in fact, was the first time I publicly posted something regarding this issue largely due to the fact that I no longer have this problem. That is the reason you don't see this often enough, along with the fact that some people don't even know they're being affected by this.

Calling it tinfoilhattery is borderline ignorant because you are blatantly denying the thorough research I (and others) have done over the years. Anyone with an average knowledge in hardware/software knows all the conditions in which input lag occurs (not restricted to online games), namely: V-sync, gpu/cpu throttling due to high temps, faulty GPU/monitor, game overlays, RAM timings, and I could go on and on. But that is provided you use your PC in a conventional environment. This needs to be investigated by someone who: 1. Has a minimum masters knowledge in electrical engineering 2. Is actually affected and aware by this and 3. Can diagnose a range of computers who have and don't have this problem. For all the conditions to be met, that's actually extremely rare. You guys suppressing this idea makes it even harder.

Just 2 years ago people have overtly denied the possibility of anything outside of your computer causing delays in input. Only now I see people very slowly accepting the idea that 'interference' messing up electronics to this level (i.e. PC inputs). You quoted 'science' but note that science throughout history had, at different points, very contradictory elements. The 'scientific method' calls for weighing evidence before drawing a conclusion, so it's invalid to deny someone who has had first-hand experience about this and is not affected emotionally by it anymore. It's a VERY long proccess and my objective was to shorten the length and give a pretty good headstard for people who are both well versed in EE and gaming.

So my point still stands, electricity/interference CAN (I'd love to DOES but to each their own) permanently damage components/peripherals. It's actually pretty logical if you think about it for more than 2 seconds. It has happened to me with 7 entirely different PCs, and to many others who claimed they moved and it still wasn't fully solved.

Huge disclaimer in case anyone missed: I never fully rejected the idea of that not being the case for everyone, but personally I have never heard of someone who has moved somewhere else, stayed there at least 3 months, and come back confirming that it was done and dusted. Please keep this open and civil.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2021, 01:53

I was talking to Mugabi. I was talking about latency.

To clarify a misunderstanding:

Damage — yes.

Latency that “sticks” — not usually

(unless you literally had radiation level damage or lighting damage that permanently weakened a wire or chip pin just perfectly to generate a error-correction storm that adds perpetual latency. Those things are one-in-a-million flukes. Usually inteference strong enough (aka lighting-level surge) to do some permanent damage will render a device inoperable, or simply make it crash more often, or other side effects other than latency. Damage specifically creating a logic error-correction-storm (e.g. weakened link) that translates to a permanently increased average latency, would be extremely long-shot rare. The problem is too many people waste too much time troubleshooting the wrong things.

Njb, the problem (from the time before you joined this forum) is that people are looking for a latency scapegoat to blame. There are legitimate scapegoats, and there's flukes. The problem is we don't want to raise people's hopes. When we have science-minds and engineer-minds mixing with inexperienced people, heated arguments can arise.

Any people that "waste time" or "deflect to a different topic than EMI-related latency" may sometimes result in thread closings. Please keep posts shorter, less argumentative, less boastful, and more evidence-based.

I have permitted the EMI forum to exist, and the most common EMI-induced latency problems are all temporary latency problems that disappear when the EMI/interference is removed from the vicinity. The bottom line is that, generally speaking, a computer accessory does not "soak a permanent latency penalty" like a dye or stain (that is the part I refer to as legitimate tinfoilhattery) that sticks when the interference is removed.

It is easy to misinterpret what people say / what I say. Try to understand.

Thank you.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 18 Oct 2021, 18:12

What about Routers/modem ? Did they also get negativly damaged/affected negativly during online gaming ? Do you also replaced them ?

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 18 Oct 2021, 19:09

Unreazz wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 18:12
What about Routers/modem ? Did they also get negativly damaged/affected negativly during online gaming ? Do you also replaced them ?
Huh?

kaedriric

Post by kaedriric » 03 Nov 2021, 12:12

So ... any clue if USB flash drives also get affected by this? if i wanna transfer my files of my "dirty PC" to an entirely new clean one, will the usb flash drive also get infected?

Plznoinputlag

Post by Plznoinputlag » 03 Nov 2021, 12:50

kaedriric wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 12:12
So ... any clue if USB flash drives also get affected by this? if i wanna transfer my files of my "dirty PC" to an entirely new clean one, will the usb flash drive also get infected?
at the end of the day it still connected to your pc that have bad electricity so it does not make sense, its like you will install games on hdd or ssd driver that completely empty. we need to fx the source of it we cant bypass this :(