[EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
KingAzar

Re: [EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Post by KingAzar » 22 Mar 2023, 23:04

adelsa123 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 18:27
KingAzar wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 16:46
I'm giving you my weekly update and just to let you know that the setup that I have regarding managing EMI has been working fine since I had my old computer, then replace it with a new one a few weeks ago and everything is still smooth, and sharp! :mrgreen:

My new pain is not DDR5!!!! I got a set of 2 x 16GB at 7200 and doesn't run properly at XMP and need a lot of tweaking in Bios
hi mannnn do u hhave grounding in ur house !!
Yes I do!

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 23 Mar 2023, 16:14

KingAzar wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 16:46
I'm giving you my weekly update and just to let you know that the setup that I have regarding managing EMI has been working fine since I had my old computer, then replace it with a new one a few weeks ago and everything is still smooth, and sharp! :mrgreen:

My new pain is not DDR5!!!! I got a set of 2 x 16GB at 7200 and doesn't run properly at XMP and need a lot of tweaking in Bios
Flash back to me asking you to get lower freq ram to avoid relying on your CPU's memory controller silicon being a hit or miss haha. Anyways, I didn't update this thread with any findings either since I actually got extremely sick for about 10 days, me hating to use antibiotics might've had a huge hand in that, regardless, I'm well and fine now.

The newest reading I got was yesterday, when I just randomly hooked the EMI Meter to the wall and the reading was just shy of 1900mV! I was surprised since I've used the meter several times randomly at different times of day and it never gave me anything beyond 60mV "at least in my room's circuit". So I started looking around, and apparently the maid somehow turned on the AC in the guest room, and since the AC was running in Night Mode, all of its LEDs were off and no one realized it was on until I used the meter. With the AC off, the readings were back to normal. I tried other AC's around the house, including my own and all sky-rocketed the reading to an average of 1800mV-1950mV with and without the AC being on the same circuit.

I did a little bit of research and yes the Inverter AC Motors are notoriously known for producing a lot of EMI and dumping it back into the grid. Even though my entire house has grounding in each receptacle the ACs were installed prior to me rewiring the house, so all of them are ungrounded and that might explain why they are giving such high readings when they are on.

Also an Update on my setup, I ended up selling my entire PC "Case only" when I was sick, and now I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive to start building the new one. New rig: Asus Rog Strix z790-i, 13700K, Asus Rog Strix 4090 OC Edition, 7200cl34 Trident, SK Hynix P41 1TB NVme drive, Thermaltake 1000W SFX PSU "I'm building a small form factor case", EK Nucleus 240 AIO. The 2 EU Greenwave Filters also arrived but I still didn't test them with the new rig since I havn't built it yet. Hopefully everything will arrive by this Sunday. I wanted to get the Z790 Maximus Hero since It would've been my 4th generational one and I was familiar with its bios and all but Asus distributer in my country didn't get more than 5 boards this time saying it was too expansive and no one would buy it, even though they were sold within a week apparently. So I just got the Strix Z790i instead.

Now I just hope that whatever I ordered online doesn't come dead or has a problem in it, since international returns are literally pain in the ass specially when there's absolutely no similar offerings in my country. Will update probably mid to end of next week.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 26 Mar 2023, 16:49

@KingAzar

Still all good with the Seasonic Prime TX-1000?

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 27 Mar 2023, 00:17

Everything is still working wonderfully! No problem no input lag, on my old computer it was working where I used to get 1500mV and down to 120mV when running was working well, and now with this new setup that I build since the end of February and running at 50-60mV It's very responsive. :arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EZLp7tQKkww4ENeN8

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 27 Mar 2023, 17:03

Thx for your reply. I have ordered the Seasonic Prime TX-850. I Hope it will solve my Problems too. The Greenwavefilter i have already.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 29 Mar 2023, 09:48

[email protected] wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 17:03
Thx for your reply. I have ordered the Seasonic Prime TX-850. I Hope it will solve my Problems too. The Greenwavefilter i have already.
From my lens should be fine, how many filters do you have, if you have 2 or 4 just make sure your stuff are plugged in between

Sqnax17

Post by Sqnax17 » 29 Mar 2023, 11:52

KingAzar wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 00:17
Everything is still working wonderfully! No problem no input lag, on my old computer it was working where I used to get 1500mV and down to 120mV when running was working well, and now with this new setup that I build since the end of February and running at 50-60mV It's very responsive. :arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EZLp7tQKkww4ENeN8
could you tell me what your current congiruation is?

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 30 Mar 2023, 05:39

Update:

New PC is up and running, slight hiccups here and there, but everything is manageable. I also did not OC anything, and most of the bios settings are auto/default. I just undervolted the CPU and enabled XMP profile, ran cinebench and memtest86 and both tests passed.

EMI Readings with PC and Monitor On, no load desktop only:

- One filters installed on the same circuit "my room's circuit": 750-800mV.
- 1 Filter installed on the same power strip after the PC & Monitor Cables: 35-38mV.
- 2 Filters installed 1 before and 1 after the PC & Monitor Cables: 26-30mV.

Disclaimer before reading the rest: This is a new build, nothing from the Old PC Case was transferred to the new one, keep that in mind please!

Nothing much more to say really, games feel fantastic, the game that I used to play and love back in 2014 now finally feels the same way, hitreg is definitely better, I'm not dying in a single frame anymore "that is a huge improvement", character & vehicle movement in general is insanely responsive and fluid, can do things that I forgot I was able to do 9 years ago. Ultimately this is to be expected from a new build. That said, I will keep this configuration as it is for a week and will report back hopefully. Gotta admit, part of me is being extremely seflish in not doing more tests during this week just because I want to have this sweet forgotten gaming experience in my 2 hours of daily free time for a week, fingers crossed :).
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 30 Mar 2023, 15:55

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 05:39
Update:

New PC is up and running, slight hiccups here and there, but everything is manageable. I also did not OC anything, and most of the bios settings are auto/default. I just undervolted the CPU and enabled XMP profile, ran cinebench and memtest86 and both tests passed.

EMI Readings with PC and Monitor On, no load desktop only:

- One filters installed on the same circuit "my room's circuit": 750-800mV.
- 1 Filter installed on the same power strip after the PC & Monitor Cables: 35-38mV.
- 2 Filters installed 1 before and 1 after the PC & Monitor Cables: 26-30mV.

Disclaimer before reading the rest: This is a new build, nothing from the Old PC Case was transferred to the new one, keep that in mind please!

Nothing much more to say really, games feel fantastic, the game that I used to play and love back in 2014 now finally feels the same way, hitreg is definitely better, I'm not dying in a single frame anymore "that is a huge improvement", character & vehicle movement in general is insanely responsive and fluid, can do things that I forgot I was able to do 9 years ago. Ultimately this is to be expected from a new build. That said, I will keep this configuration as it is for a week and will report back hopefully. Gotta admit, part of me is being extremely seflish in not doing more tests during this week just because I want to have this sweet forgotten gaming experience in my 2 hours of daily free time for a week, fingers crossed :).
Man, u just did the test that I wanted to do. Filters /power station with newly pc that is not affected by high emi circuits. In theory, it should work just fine but with how weird this issue is, w
Will it really continue to be as good ? It will be interesting to see.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 30 Mar 2023, 17:03

Mugabi wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 15:55

Man, u just did the test that I wanted to do. Filters /power station with newly pc that is not affected by high emi circuits. In theory, it should work just fine but with how weird this issue is, w
Will it really continue to be as good ? It will be interesting to see.
I'll keep this thread updated with regular posts. The EMI Meter is honestly a good investment to have, I forgot to mention that when all the filters where not installed and the PC is off, I did a good run around the house measuring various circuits readings, everything was fine.

However one of the lighting circuits was too noisy "700mV+" at least on the ones that I could plug the EMI Meter into since most light circuits don't include electric outlets in the chain as they are usually low current circuits. That said, I went ahead and and checked the living room lights which had an outlet and consisted of 21 LED 7W lights distributed amongst 3 chandeliers, with all of them on, it gave me a 700mV reading! So I checked each chandelier separately and started disconnecting each light one by one to see if 1 specific light is causing the issue, as it turns out, yes it was, some lights are being extremely noisier than others! Even more so, the lights were all the non-brand type so I just bought 21 Philips E14 EyeCare 5.5W lights, replaced them with the old ones and now with all of the chandeliers on, the EMI Meter doesn't give a reading beyond 28mV :)!

The reason why I was checking around lighting circuits and so on is because 2 years ago, I had a problem where there was a random buzzing sound that could be heard through my headsets when live monitoring is on "coming from the audio interface that is powered by the PC via a USB C cable"! Out of sheer luck I was monitoring my mic and trying to troubleshoot the issue when my brother was just leaving the corridor bathroom and turned off the bathroom light behind him. With the click of that light switch the buzzing noise disappeared. Now, how on earth was that light causing a buzzing sound in my headset, when the PC and the light are on completely different circuits, the light is not even grounded to say that maybe a ground loop or some sort of ground carried noise got in there. Apparently it was just a bad light design or circuitry "most likely cheap", even though it was working fine! Thank God for my brother needing to take a dump at that specific time I guess lol.

I still have a couple more lighting circuits to check on. But for now things are running great, and I've learned to never let a single electrician do anything around the house without me present! Unfortunately I live in a country where 90% of the electricians have no licenses and don't even need one to operate, they go by the saying "if it lights up, its good" not to mention the cheap off-brand equipments and replacement parts that they use just to be able to compete with others.

Disclaimer: This is a new build, nothing from the Old PC Case was transferred to the new one, keep that in mind please!