[EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
adelsa123

Re: [EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Post by adelsa123 » 30 Mar 2023, 23:17

Thatweirdinputlag wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 17:03
Mugabi wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 15:55

Man, u just did the test that I wanted to do. Filters /power station with newly pc that is not affected by high emi circuits. In theory, it should work just fine but with how weird this issue is, w
Will it really continue to be as good ? It will be interesting to see.
I'll keep this thread updated with regular posts. The EMI Meter is honestly a good investment to have, I forgot to mention that when all the filters where not installed and the PC is off, I did a good run around the house measuring various circuits readings, everything was fine.

However one of the lighting circuits was too noisy "700mV+" at least on the ones that I could plug the EMI Meter into since most light circuits don't include electric outlets in the chain as they are usually low current circuits. That said, I went ahead and and checked the living room lights which had an outlet and consisted of 21 LED 7W lights distributed amongst 3 chandeliers, with all of them on, it gave me a 700mV reading! So I checked each chandelier separately and started disconnecting each light one by one to see if 1 specific light is causing the issue, as it turns out, yes it was, some lights are being extremely noisier than others! Even more so, the lights were all the non-brand type so I just bought 21 Philips E14 EyeCare 5.5W lights, replaced them with the old ones and now with all of the chandeliers on, the EMI Meter doesn't give a reading beyond 28mV :)!

The reason why I was checking around lighting circuits and so on is because 2 years ago, I had a problem where there was a random buzzing sound that could be heard through my headsets when live monitoring is on "coming from the audio interface that is powered by the PC via a USB C cable"! Out of sheer luck I was monitoring my mic and trying to troubleshoot the issue when my brother was just leaving the corridor bathroom and turned off the bathroom light behind him. With the click of that light switch the buzzing noise disappeared. Now, how on earth was that light causing a buzzing sound in my headset, when the PC and the light are on completely different circuits, the light is not even grounded to say that maybe a ground loop or some sort of ground carried noise got in there. Apparently it was just a bad light design or circuitry "most likely cheap", even though it was working fine! Thank God for my brother needing to take a dump at that specific time I guess lol.

I still have a couple more lighting circuits to check on. But for now things are running great, and I've learned to never let a single electrician do anything around the house without me present! Unfortunately I live in a country where 90% of the electricians have no licenses and don't even need one to operate, they go by the saying "if it lights up, its good" not to mention the cheap off-brand equipments and replacement parts that they use just to be able to compete with others.

Disclaimer: This is a new build, nothing from the Old PC Case was transferred to the new one, keep that in mind please!
did u used new mouse and keyboard and headset all new also

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 31 Mar 2023, 00:29

adelsa123 wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 23:17

did u used new mouse and keyboard and headset all new also
Nope, as mentioned before, only the PC case itself was upgraded and everything else is the same.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 31 Mar 2023, 00:31

30 Mar 2023, 05:39
Update:

New PC is up and running, slight hiccups here and there, but everything is manageable. I also did not OC anything, and most of the bios settings are auto/default. I just undervolted the CPU and enabled XMP profile, ran cinebench and memtest86 and both tests passed.

EMI Readings with PC and Monitor On, no load desktop only:

- No filters installed on the same circuit "my room's circuit": 750-800mV.
- 1 Filter installed on the same power strip after the PC & Monitor Cables: 35-38mV.
- 2 Filters installed 1 before and 1 after the PC & Monitor Cables: 26-30mV.

Disclaimer before reading the rest: This is a new build, nothing from the Old PC Case was transferred to the new one, keep that in mind please!

Nothing much more to say really, games feel fantastic, the game that I used to play and love back in 2014 now finally feels the same way, hitreg is definitely better, I'm not dying in a single frame anymore "that is a huge improvement", character & vehicle movement in general is insanely responsive and fluid, can do things that I forgot I was able to do 9 years ago. Ultimately this is to be expected from a new build. That said, I will keep this configuration as it is for a week and will report back hopefully. Gotta admit, part of me is being extremely seflish in not doing more tests during this week just because I want to have this sweet forgotten gaming experience in my 2 hours of daily free time for a week, fingers crossed :).

Edit: 1st one is "No Filters", it was a typo and I wrote "One" before. Now its corrected, sorry!
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

triplese

Post by triplese » 06 Apr 2023, 05:06

30 Mar 2023, 17:03
However one of the lighting circuits was too noisy "700mV+" at least on the ones that I could plug the EMI Meter into since most light circuits don't include electric outlets in the chain as they are usually low current circuits. That said, I went ahead and and checked the living room lights which had an outlet and consisted of 21 LED 7W lights distributed amongst 3 chandeliers, with all of them on, it gave me a 700mV reading!
And turning off lights or circuit breaker for lighting circuit still giving you 700mv+?

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 07 Apr 2023, 02:57

triplese wrote: ↑
06 Apr 2023, 05:06

And turning off lights or circuit breaker for lighting circuit still giving you 700mv+?
Did not try to turn the entire breaker off for the purpose of that measurement, I did turn all the lights off however, the reading dropped down to 60mV. Funny enough, one of the first measurements that I took with the EMI Meter was connecting it to an almost empty circuit "Guest Room - nothing much connected to it" and the more breakers that I turn off, the higher the reading becomes. It started at around 30's mV, ended up with almost 300mV when all other breakers were off. So evidently, the environment "neighborhood" is quite noisy in general, which is something to be expected from how bad our government is enforcing the non-existent electricity standards in our country.

More to that, the above mentioned case also shows how "at least in my house" some appliances do adhere to some sort of EMC Standards and have adequate filtering in them so they end up aiding in filtering the electricity coming in too. I've also noticed that some of the latest Philips recessed spot lights that I got for the kitchen island were producing a considerable amount of EMI for how low wattage they are. They were 6500K color temperature "which is considered Cool Daylight", everything else around the house is either 3000K or 2700K Warm White. I exchanged those lights with a warm 3000K 3.5W Philips Eyecare Spotlights and the readings are now in the 20mV's instead of 200ish mVs. I did a test with the Philips Hue lights in my room to see if the cooler the light color is the more EMI to makes and it actually did.

Conclusion, I really can't stress enough how important it is that you input-laggers get an EMI Meter. The one that I have is the Trifield EM100 or something, it pretty much works on all grids from 110 v to 250 with both 50&60hz and it does the job well. The problem is that I can't know for sure whether the 4 filters, the lighting change or the new rig was the reason for fixing the input lag "at least up until now". But I know that all of those conditions met together helped a lot.

As an unrelated update but worth mentioning too, I've moved to wireless. I've noticed that they have actually become insanely stable! to elaborate more, I ran a ping test to google.de for about 2 hours while I was gaming, and had only 3 spikes from 40 to a 100 and everything else was rock solid. It does add about 2ms more of latency but I genuinely don't mind that if it ends up in me having a cleaner set-up without needed an additional switch next to my PC. The move was about 6 days ago.

Consider this to be my weekly update too, I will drop those regularly until I see no more reason to do so, i.e. the input lag issue never came back. Total lag-free time is 12 days. Also, the disclaimer below is to prevent people from just purchasing filters or copying what I did and instead please wait for further updates until I verify with certainty that the lag never came back and its not a because of the new build syndrome. Hopefully @KingAzar will do the same too.

Disclaimer: This is a new build, nothing from the Old PC Case was transferred to the new one, keep that in mind please!

supernoms

Post by supernoms » 07 Apr 2023, 13:47

So I bought the Greenwave emi measuring device and received it today.

My outlet that i use for my pc and my monitor measure, 700-800 mV(0% reduction) and the outlets in the surrounding area measure around 1100mV(0% reduction) the lowest noise outlet I have in the house is about 380mV(0% reduction).

What am I supposed to do?

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 08 Apr 2023, 01:27

supernoms wrote: ↑
07 Apr 2023, 13:47
So I bought the Greenwave emi measuring device and received it today.

My outlet that i use for my pc and my monitor measure, 700-800 mV(0% reduction) and the outlets in the surrounding area measure around 1100mV(0% reduction) the lowest noise outlet I have in the house is about 380mV(0% reduction).

What am I supposed to do?
First you can try to identify if it's just general grid noise or is the EMI produced in-house. I suggest you start with the outlet that has the lowest reading, connect your EMI Meter to that outlet and turn off all breakers of the house except for the breaker that is supplying that outlet's circuit. Check how the reading is, if its significantly lower "drops below 50mV", then the problem is most likely in your house. If it was higher then it might be from the grid.

If it was significantly lower, start turning on the breakers 1 by 1 to see which breaker "circuit" is the noisiest, and from there you'll start having an idea on which circuits are producing high levels of EMI then you can single them out and start testing each circuit one by one and see what is the main thing producing EMI in that circuit, whether it was an appliance like a fridge, TV etc. or an LED Light "if Lighting in your house is not on separate circuits."

It's pretty forward, more like a trial and error procedure it just takes time. Note things down and then you can purchase Filters to use on high EMI circuits with appliances that are hard to change/keep off, or simply change the things that are producing EMI.

In my case, actually a lot of the lights were the reason for the high EMI readings in some circuits. Old and/or non-brand ones with both being warm white or cool daylight.

Give it a try and see how it goes, just be careful when you test with appliances or lights specially if you don't have any sort of electrical background. make sure that whatever circuit you're working on is turned off by its main breaker.

adelsa123

Post by adelsa123 » 11 Apr 2023, 05:02

hello guys i found something intersting about the symptome that we are facing ! i found this website https://www.controleng.com/articles/don ... e-and-emi/

look whhat i ve founnd in there :
electrical noise symptoms almost always include loss of communication or errors in reading or writing data. And with programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and other microprocessor-based components, symptoms can include loss of communications, faults or failure in the PLC or processor, discrete inputs or outputs triggering unexpectedly, and analog inputs or outputs reporting incorrect values.

now im 100000% confidennt that we are facing electricity probleme emi rfi
look what they said in the website they are not talking about gamiing or something they are talking about what emi rfi cann do to electrrical componant overall wich means thhey are mentioning not computers they are talking about all electrical stuff and its described like this : symptoms can include loss of communications and analog inputs or outputs reporting incorrect values wich in our case playinng the game at a losse of data and reporting incorrect values means fake display what we see not what happen in real time wichh means less smouthnesss less responsive and game feels trash and unnplayable ! that it .

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » 11 Apr 2023, 06:48

11 Apr 2023, 05:02
hello guys i found something intersting about the symptome that we are facing ! i found this website https://www.controleng.com/articles/don ... e-and-emi/

electrical noise symptoms almost always include loss of communication or errors in reading or writing data. And with programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and other microprocessor-based components, symptoms can include loss of communications, faults or failure in the PLC or processor, discrete inputs or outputs triggering unexpectedly, and analog inputs or outputs reporting incorrect values.

look what they said in the website they are not talking about gamiing or something they are talking about what emi rfi cann do to electrrical componant overall wich means thhey are mentioning not computers they are talking about all electrical stuff and its described like this : symptoms can include loss of communications and analog inputs or outputs reporting incorrect values wich in our case playinng the game at a losse of data and reporting incorrect values means fake display what we see not what happen in real time wichh means less smouthnesss less responsive and game feels trash and unnplayable ! that it .
ok ...now explain pls why many germans facing this issue ?

adelsa123

Post by adelsa123 » 11 Apr 2023, 16:42

blackmagic wrote: ↑
11 Apr 2023, 06:48
11 Apr 2023, 05:02

ok ...now explain pls why many germans facing this issue ?
i will explain ! like the site mentioning that even if u have grounding u could hhave bad grounding innstallation read this :

Central-point grounding reduces the chance for current ground loops, which can occur when two or more grounding points are at slightly different potentials. This can cause high currents throughout the ground network, allowing more noise to couple to the conductors.