emi

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
MegaMelmek

Re: emi

Post by MegaMelmek » 30 Jun 2022, 10:25

Xehet wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2022, 07:50
MegaMelmek wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2022, 13:22
i realy recomend it keep it this way monitor, pc, without ground and if you have old mouse or diferent mouse give it a try
Yes, for the time being I will continue to use my PC without grounding and try to find if there are any differences compared to running PC with grounding.

Also, could you share your outlet grounding values (the outlet you use for PC/plug your extension cord to), measured through AVO?
I am not sure what values you mean so if you can specifi them ?

skkiNN

Post by skkiNN » 30 Jun 2022, 11:21

Guys im so sorry but i didnt understand how to test PC with "no ground". What i have to do? I got same APC power strip like in the picture above and if course the ground LED is on. How to test it off?
@MegaMelmek

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 30 Jun 2022, 11:29

skkiNN wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 11:21
Guys im so sorry but i didnt understand how to test PC with "no ground". What i have to do? I got same APC power strip like in the picture above and if course the ground LED is on. How to test it off?
@MegaMelmek
Do not listen to these pseudo-electricians. PC MUST be grounded for your safety and safety of the electronics inside your chassis. Few weeks ago I was electrocuted by non-grounded server rack and it was really powerful.

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 30 Jun 2022, 11:38

30 Jun 2022, 10:25
You need a Multimeter (also known as AVOmeter) to check your grounding quality and stability. It can be a simple model, you don't need to buy an expensive one. After you get a multimeter what you want to do is to take certain measurements on the outlet you use for your pc, you can also test your extension cord afterwards as well;

First: Check if your voltage is stable by inserting one of your probes to hot and other one to neutral. If the value is around your country standard Β±5% it is stable, the value should not be jumpy, if it is jumpy your probes are not still/you are moving your probes around.

Second: Leave the first probe in hot and move the second probe which was in neutral to grounding and check if your readings are the same as the first step, they should be roughly the same.

Third: Move the first probe from hot to neutral and leave the second probe in ground and please share your values for all the steps, especially the third step with your country standard voltage.

P.S. While using a multimeter make sure that the multimeter is set to a higher value than your country standard, e.g. your country has a standard of 230 volts, then make sure that your multimeter is set to a higher value and not 200 etc. you can set to lower values for a more precise reading for the third step after you make sure that you first read the value while keeping the multimeter on a higher setting, in case your grounding is connected to neutral, which should not be the case but some houses have such issues. If you drop the multimeter reading setting to below the voltage it receives you will blow your fuse/damage the multimeter.

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 30 Jun 2022, 11:51

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 11:29
Do not listen to these pseudo-electricians. PC MUST be grounded for your safety and safety of the electronics inside your chassis. Few weeks ago I was electrocuted by non-grounded server rack and it was really powerful.
Even though ungrounded usage of electronics is not recommended, with a PC, unless your infrastructure has massive issues such as constant surges etc., you will at worst get zapped. With constant surges you might damage your motherboard, however the internal ocp should prevent damages to other parts assuming your motherboard is decent enough.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 01 Jul 2022, 14:51

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 11:29
skkiNN wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 11:21
@MegaMelmek
Preamble:

When two devices carry a difference in ground potential, the potential will try to even itself out … in much the same way as water seeks its own level. It will travel through the the lines and connectors and overload the circuitry of both the high-potential and low-potential device.

** A lightning strike or electrical spike … is a sudden event causing damage … smoking chip/traces.

*** A ground loop is more insidious … and is a long term steady event that weakens the chip … and slow cooks the chips and they eventual fail … blackened tops and melted circuit boards.

Note: A surge protector does NOT guard against ground loops.

The best prevention for ground-loop problems is to use optical isolation on long data lines.

https://connecttech.com/resource-center ... em-damage/

To my knowledge even monitor and PC can make ground loop so how you connect your monitor to PC there is no optical solution or its? HDMI with same ground or DP will cary ground too....
I do not force anyone to try this i just say it work for me but if you are beter than pseudo-electricians you will prove me wrong.
PSU ist just bigger cell phone chager and they dont even have ground and nobody gets hurt and your phone is properly charged so if you use quality PSU in your servers then you are okay...

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 01 Jul 2022, 14:58

30 Jun 2022, 11:38
30 Jun 2022, 10:25
You need a Multimeter (also known as AVOmeter) to check your grounding quality and stability. It can be a simple model, you don't need to buy an expensive one. After you get a multimeter what you want to do is to take certain measurements on the outlet you use for your pc, you can also test your extension cord afterwards as well;

First: Check if your voltage is stable by inserting one of your probes to hot and other one to neutral. If the value is around your country standard Β±5% it is stable, the value should not be jumpy, if it is jumpy your probes are not still/you are moving your probes around.

Second: Leave the first probe in hot and move the second probe which was in neutral to grounding and check if your readings are the same as the first step, they should be roughly the same.

Third: Move the first probe from hot to neutral and leave the second probe in ground and please share your values for all the steps, especially the third step with your country standard voltage.

P.S. While using a multimeter make sure that the multimeter is set to a higher value than your country standard, e.g. your country has a standard of 230 volts, then make sure that your multimeter is set to a higher value and not 200 etc. you can set to lower values for a more precise reading for the third step after you make sure that you first read the value while keeping the multimeter on a higher setting, in case your grounding is connected to neutral, which should not be the case but some houses have such issues. If you drop the multimeter reading setting to below the voltage it receives you will blow your fuse/damage the multimeter.
Hot - Neutral 240-247V +-
Hot- Ground - same values as above
Neutral - Ground - 0V never change

Multimeter : UNI-T UT181A

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 01 Jul 2022, 16:04

01 Jul 2022, 14:58
Assuming you are in Europe with a standard of 230 volts, it seems that the grid in the region you live is a little overloaded. By any chance do you live close to a subway station or any other large facility, if so the voltage is normal. Did you use a wall-socket and not your ungrounded extension cord, because neutral-ground reading 0 volts while hot-ground reading same as hot-neutral most likely means that your sockets are jumped. Grounding should be at least 0.5 volts and up to 2 volts is fine.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 01 Jul 2022, 16:59

01 Jul 2022, 16:04
01 Jul 2022, 14:58
Assuming you are in Europe with a standard of 230 volts, it seems that the grid in the region you live is a little overloaded. By any chance do you live close to a subway station or any other large facility, if so the voltage is normal. Did you use a wall-socket and not your ungrounded extension cord, because neutral-ground reading 0 volts while hot-ground reading same as hot-neutral most likely means that your sockets are jumped. Grounding should be at least 0.5 volts and up to 2 volts is fine.
I think you can see 2V betwen ground an neutral maybe in India not in EU.... Yes i am from EU, no subway no industry, only elevator in my building....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Epjx5wN2w

i dont think he is wrong

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 01 Jul 2022, 17:46

01 Jul 2022, 16:59
I think you can see 2V betwen ground an neutral maybe in India not in EU.... Yes i am from EU, no subway no industry, only elevator in my building....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Epjx5wN2w

i dont think he is wrong
Even though theoretically, neutral-ground should be 0, that is not the case due to the wire resistance.
Unfortunately, the video is not accurate, check the 0:23 timestamp on that video you can see that the device is on hold mode and not active reading. Hence, a false reading.