emi

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Thatweirdinputlag

Re: emi

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 02 Jul 2022, 00:26

MegaMelmek wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 14:58
Xehet wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 11:38
MegaMelmek wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 10:25
I am not sure what values you mean so if you can specifi them ?
You need a Multimeter (also known as AVOmeter) to check your grounding quality and stability. It can be a simple model, you don't need to buy an expensive one. After you get a multimeter what you want to do is to take certain measurements on the outlet you use for your pc, you can also test your extension cord afterwards as well;

First: Check if your voltage is stable by inserting one of your probes to hot and other one to neutral. If the value is around your country standard ±5% it is stable, the value should not be jumpy, if it is jumpy your probes are not still/you are moving your probes around.

Second: Leave the first probe in hot and move the second probe which was in neutral to grounding and check if your readings are the same as the first step, they should be roughly the same.

Third: Move the first probe from hot to neutral and leave the second probe in ground and please share your values for all the steps, especially the third step with your country standard voltage.

P.S. While using a multimeter make sure that the multimeter is set to a higher value than your country standard, e.g. your country has a standard of 230 volts, then make sure that your multimeter is set to a higher value and not 200 etc. you can set to lower values for a more precise reading for the third step after you make sure that you first read the value while keeping the multimeter on a higher setting, in case your grounding is connected to neutral, which should not be the case but some houses have such issues. If you drop the multimeter reading setting to below the voltage it receives you will blow your fuse/damage the multimeter.
Hot - Neutral 240-247V +-
Hot- Ground - same values as above
Neutral - Ground - 0V never change

Multimeter : UNI-T UT181A
If your neutral to ground is always giving you 0 potential that means they are bonded, probably at the main panel of your house or the main panel of your building. It's common practice to do so specially when your energy company also supplies the ground line. Make sure it's not bonded somewhere in between "sub panels for example", since that will cause a ground loop and it is also against general regulations. If your ground is bonded to the neutral at your socket, then please call an electrician lol.

In a good case scenario, a ground to neutral potential can be anywhere between 0.1 - 2.0 volts. FYI, I was having the input lag and desync issues way before I ever installed grounding in my home. Upon installing it, the PC ran fantastic for about 5 days then shit started coming back, maybe that's what you're experiencing? anytime a change happens to reference ground things get reset back to normal? who knows.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

dervu

Post by dervu » 02 Jul 2022, 04:18

In some countries with old type electrical wiring it is necessary to bond neutral to ground at socket if you want grounding done (there are only two wires coming to the socket). It is best to have 3 wires, but not everyone wants to do full apartment renovation.

Anyway, ground or no ground doesn't make lasting difference. I never had ground in my apartment when everything was working good. Then this issue came.
I was also wondering if some changes in electric wiring for other apartments in apartment block would affect anything.
Let's say 30% of people in apartment block rewire their apartment to have 3 wires.
Rest of them are still having 2 wire setup.
Would that affect anything?

However, there are people who have this issue in modern apartments where everyone should have 3 wires.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 02 Jul 2022, 10:59

dervu wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 04:18
In some countries with old type electrical wiring it is necessary to bond neutral to ground at socket if you want grounding done (there are only two wires coming to the socket). It is best to have 3 wires, but not everyone wants to do full apartment renovation.

Anyway, ground or no ground doesn't make lasting difference. I never had ground in my apartment when everything was working good. Then this issue came.
I was also wondering if some changes in electric wiring for other apartments in apartment block would affect anything.
Let's say 30% of people in apartment block rewire their apartment to have 3 wires.
Rest of them are still having 2 wire setup.
Would that affect anything?

However, there are people who have this issue in modern apartments where everyone should have 3 wires.
"old type electrical wiring" by that I'm assuming only live and neutral are supplied to a given household, then that household should carry on by installing its own grounding system for safety. bonding Neutral to Ground at each electrical socket is incredibly dangerous since any fault on the neutral line might result in current leakage into the chassis of every single electrical equipment connected to that circuit, you can see how that might be problem.

I do agree about not having the same issues even when my PC was ungrounded in the past, and the problems only started to appear a couple of weeks after I bought the new PC.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini