Emi issues are more common than you think

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Heimz0r

Re: Emi issues are more common than you think

Post by Heimz0r » 06 Aug 2022, 05:49

Mugabi wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 04:44
Heimz0r wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:09
Mugabi did you test any new mobos before?
You had the problem for a long time but always with the same PC?

I changed motherboards twice over the last 5 years or so and both times my game was fine for 1-2 weeks and then it went back to shit. I hope for you it stays good :).
Please keep reporting if it stays good, if yes I will also try the expensive motherboard.
Nah but weird thing Is I tried playing in 3 net cafes and gameplay becomes shit in all after 20 minutes, also my laptop had similar issues (dead battery, was charged all the time) and my current pc before new mobo. All net cafes had the cheapest gigabyte mobos so them getting affected is expected, myb my city suffers from a huge emi field. I don’t remember my pc being this good when I first got it tbh, it performed pretty much the same more or less. Anyways this fix is working for me without degrading. Remember, really really expensive mobo, tier A platinum PSU 1000w, not too strong GPU (avoid 3000 series ) get something like 1070, shielded case + pro cable management.
Which shielded case would you recommend?
I have a phanteks enthoo pro with window.

And are you sure about avoiding the 3000 series? Many pros are running a 3080 or even stronger and don't seem to be running into issues.
Just asking because downgrading from a 3080 to a 1070 would be so painful especially when playing story games :D

I already found a shop in my city that has the Asus crosshair dark hero motherboard and I can return it for up to 30 days so that should be enough to confirm that the issue won't come back.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 06 Aug 2022, 14:14

I always wondered that too. Why pros don't experience these things. Is it the quality of parts they have in their builds? Do they do certain things to avoid these issues?

IMO- I think it is just pure luck- failing hardware, an incompatibility between parts, or some external cause (emi, electricity, interference, etc) that leads to these issues.
Would be awesome to get some insight from pro players, or even their PC builders, how are they choosing parts.
Maybe they are choosing some specific "low-EMI" "low-latency" parts, models, e.g. they are getting EVGA 1000w PSU unit and not Corsair or Deepcool coz it's better in that regard. Or they go for let's say (randomly) beefy Asus Crosshair mobos because they are the best, the fastest gameplay, no extra lag, latency, desync, no EMI ruining games etc. Or it's just pure luck, and if they have any "laggy" components they just switch them right away.
I would like to know, since I'm having issues with B550 Tomahawk, not the cheapest mobo I guess but still. Many people can't enjoy their games as well, on both Intel and AMD builds.
I doubt most pros even care that much about their hardware or give a thought to these things- since they do not experience them.

The few pros I've spoken to had never heard of "XMP" before. Some had never even opened up their Nvidia Control Panel (not ever bothering to ever click that icon in the tray).
Yeah that's frustrating, I know few (semi)pros/streamers too, and they indeed have very little knowledge of PCs. They just open up to 10 programs, discord/TS, a game, some youtube music video, OBS and still play flawlessly. When many guys at least on this forum are trying their best, with OS versions, tweaks, fixes, swapping PC parts or even moving houses, and still nothing.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 06 Aug 2022, 15:03

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 14:14
I always wondered that too. Why pros don't experience these things. Is it the quality of parts they have in their builds? Do they do certain things to avoid these issues?

IMO- I think it is just pure luck- failing hardware, an incompatibility between parts, or some external cause (emi, electricity, interference, etc) that leads to these issues.
Would be awesome to get some insight from pro players, or even their PC builders, how are they choosing parts.
Maybe they are choosing some specific "low-EMI" "low-latency" parts, models, e.g. they are getting EVGA 1000w PSU unit and not Corsair or Deepcool coz it's better in that regard. Or they go for let's say (randomly) beefy Asus Crosshair mobos because they are the best, the fastest gameplay, no extra lag, latency, desync, no EMI ruining games etc. Or it's just pure luck, and if they have any "laggy" components they just switch them right away.
I would like to know, since I'm having issues with B550 Tomahawk, not the cheapest mobo I guess but still. Many people can't enjoy their games as well, on both Intel and AMD builds.
I doubt most pros even care that much about their hardware or give a thought to these things- since they do not experience them.

The few pros I've spoken to had never heard of "XMP" before. Some had never even opened up their Nvidia Control Panel (not ever bothering to ever click that icon in the tray).
Yeah that's frustrating, I know few (semi)pros/streamers too, and they indeed have very little knowledge of PCs. They just open up to 10 programs, discord/TS, a game, some youtube music video, OBS and still play flawlessly. When many guys at least on this forum are trying their best, with OS versions, tweaks, fixes, swapping PC parts or even moving houses, and still nothing.
Same - having issues with my B550 too (Asus TUF B550 Plus)

Most of the pros that I’ve been friends with have been from other regions (outside NA). For them, they just go for whatever is available in their location for a reasonable price. They don’t overthink brand or anything. A mobo for them is whatever socket fits a good CPU. They only look toward spending more for a good gpu (not that it matters for the game they play lol).

RAM? “Ugh- 2 sticks, 16GB”

Speed? “Idk”

CAS Latency? “What’s that?”

A good PSU for them is one that has “enough power for their PC”, and doesn’t blow up… at least not immediately.

Heimz0r

Post by Heimz0r » 06 Aug 2022, 15:47

Shade7 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 15:03

Most of the pros that I’ve been friends with have been from other regions (outside NA). For them, they just go for whatever is available in their location for a reasonable price. They don’t overthink brand or anything. A mobo for them is whatever socket fits a good CPU. They only look toward spending more for a good gpu (not that it matters for the game they play lol).

Speed? “Idk”

A good PSU for them is one that has “enough power for their PC”, and doesn’t blow up… at least not immediately.

That's what I'm also wondering about. I've played at a friends place who didn't have this issue and he didn't go for Premium components.

I wonder though if a real expensive motherboard and psu might guarantee that you don't have the issue or maybe give you a higher chance at least.

Some of the people that I have played with play so bad that I wonder if they also have this issue....

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 07 Aug 2022, 17:16

Heimz0r wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 15:47
Shade7 wrote:

Speed? “Idk”

That's what I'm also wondering about. I've played at a friends place who didn't have this issue and he didn't go for Premium components.

I wonder though if a real expensive motherboard and psu might guarantee that you don't have the issue or maybe give you a higher chance at least.

Some of the people that I have played with play so bad that I wonder if they also have this issue....
Yes indeed, I understand all of your guys concerns about this solution. You see the beauty of my solution is that it takes account on all the possible reasons why lag/input lag is takin place, the 3000 series are known by many people to generate a lot of heat and emi and if you buy one that Is mistakenly not shielded well, from a bad vendor, or has a weak mobo that can get affected badly by it, you are doomed. These pro streamers you see on twitch like Smooya etc are lucky enough to end up buying those non defective bad parts and also they buy the best stuff available. A strong pc case with steel (I’ve seen a thread about them here) can help protect you from emi if the source is generated from outside. A very strong mobo + psu will filter the electricity very well to your non power demanding pc parts and will reduce issues big time. This is a guaranteed solution that can fix any lag by 90%. My input lag and overall lag has never been the same, goin well so far. I think the biggest fix was the mobo, you guys have to realise I played in 3 net cafes and hit reg, spraying and when ppl die is much worse than my current setup.

Also go for asus 1070ti or something and keep your other GPU for story games, if u wana click heads, u gotta use those noob GPUs.

Avoid gigabyte at all costs.
Last edited by Mugabi on 07 Aug 2022, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 07 Aug 2022, 17:20

With all that said, I have a feeling that I simply had a defective mobo because the lag was really really terrible where it was sometimes impossible to kill people from behind and I’m talking about impossible to control mouse or track enemies. I also have a theory that my current GPU 3070 is causing mouse to be weird somehow some way, only way to find out is to change it and see how it goes. I think after GPU swap, it should be a 100% done deal.
The reason I’m sure mouse behaving weirdly is because there seems to be zero visual lag, stutter, etc, my mouse seems to be disconnected from the pc somehow and I tried three so far. But this isn’t related to the topic.

My take away from this, you have to find your own issues that are causing the lag. We already seen many ppl fixed their stuff by simply removing the lan cable lol, or by changing ram or changing location etc, it’s true. The worst thing you can do is to chase an electricity fairytale and then realising it was all a bad motherboard.

Not saying electricity is not true , I’m saying make sure hardware isn’t. And that is hard, you need to buy top tier A plus mobo etc etc

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 07 Aug 2022, 19:18

Mugabi wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 17:16
Heimz0r wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 15:47
Shade7 wrote:

Speed? “Idk”

Yes indeed, I understand all of your guys concerns about this solution. You see the beauty of my solution is that it takes account on all the possible reasons why lag/input lag is takin place, the 3000 series are known by many people to generate a lot of heat and emi and if you buy one that Is mistakenly not shielded well, from a bad vendor, or has a weak mobo that can get affected badly by it, you are doomed. These pro streamers you see on twitch like Smooya etc are lucky enough to end up buying those non defective bad parts and also they buy the best stuff available. A strong pc case with steel (I’ve seen a thread about them here) can help protect you from emi if the source is generated from outside. A very strong mobo + psu will filter the electricity very well to your non power demanding pc parts and will reduce issues big time. This is a guaranteed solution that can fix any lag by 90%. My input lag and overall lag has never been the same, goin well so far. I think the biggest fix was the mobo, you guys have to realise I played in 3 net cafes and hit reg, spraying and when ppl die is much worse than my current setup.

Also go for asus 1070ti or something and keep your other GPU for story games, if u wana click heads, u gotta use those noob GPUs.

Avoid gigabyte at all costs.

Can you give me a good alternative for a gaming laptop to the MOBO/PSU that can filter the electricity/emi etc.? I will buy it and try it. I tried Acer Nitro 5 Intel based and various Lenovo Legions and MSI laptops besides the other desktops I tried so far. All had same issues.

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 07 Aug 2022, 23:54

Ok, I had a b550 mobo and 650w psu, upgraded both to Dark hero and 850w seasonic platinum and my gameplay improved a lot. There seems to be this fast elements and object interaction when I kill, something explodes, bullets sprayed etc. this had the biggest effect on my lag so far.

Location change did nothing, power station did nothing and I’m talking about zero change.

I also had this weird issue before the upgrade, my mic sounded very bad, like buzz hum sound, I thought my mic was trash but after upgrade, the buzz reduced greatly and mic became way clearer. I did some research on this, turns out many people have this issue and it’s caused by similar stuff, mic picking up the emi/interference either from the pc itself or some electronic device nearby and they manage to fix it by replacing the responsible part or moving the mic away from pc.
Interesting stuff. I haven’t yet tried the fully shielded pc case and gpu change but I might after I get some cash.

Heimz0r

Post by Heimz0r » 08 Aug 2022, 15:03

Great news!
Please keep reporting if it stays fine, fingers crossed!
If you are good for a whole month I think the issue is gone!

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 10 Aug 2022, 08:28

These streamers / pros build their Pc's themselves?