Emi issues are more common than you think

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
assombrosso

Emi issues are more common than you think

Post by assombrosso » 02 Aug 2022, 10:02

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... ame=iossmf

Stumbled on so many reddit posts of users mentioning their equipments, peripherals and pc performance and audio is getting affected a lot by EMI and by having unprotected components.
This makes me think that EMI issues are way more common than what we thought and not 1% thing.

Mugabi

Re: Emi issues are more common than you think

Post by Mugabi » 02 Aug 2022, 12:48

Yes, it happens a lot and affect a lot of computers devices but most people are casual users and not into competitive gaming or being an audiophile hence not many ppl talking about it. I’m currently gathering information that I have gathered from reading a lot of people experience with emi, type of pc components they use, how they managed to decrease the effects of it and from that will make a thread soon if I manage to fix my lag but basically it goes like this, get the best most shielded non gigabyte motherboard(400$+ price range), get the most shielded case/no glass panels, get the best tier A platinum psu which has way more watts than your system will ever need (1000w be quiet platinum for example) as well as take a lot of time building the pc where you should focus on professional cable management, get a not very strong cpu and gpu (avoid 3000 series, they produce a lot of emi). This has a chance of fixing your input lag emi issues by 95%
in any location.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 02 Aug 2022, 16:15

Mugabi wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 12:48
Yes, it happens a lot and affect a lot of computers devices but most people are casual users and not into competitive gaming or being an audiophile hence not many ppl talking about it. I’m currently gathering information that I have gathered from reading a lot of people experience with emi, type of pc components they use, how they managed to decrease the effects of it and from that will make a thread soon if I manage to fix my lag but basically it goes like this, get the best most shielded non gigabyte motherboard(400$+ price range), get the most shielded case/no glass panels, get the best tier A platinum psu which has way more watts than your system will ever need (1000w be quiet platinum for example) as well as take a lot of time building the pc where you should focus on professional cable management, get a not very strong cpu and gpu (avoid 3000 series, they produce a lot of emi). This has a chance of fixing your input lag emi issues by 95%
in any location.

Why avoid Glass panels? Almost all new PC cases come with glass (at least the more popular brands).

And are EMI issues really that widespread? I'm always wondering why this seems to only affect certain people (what's so different in their circumstances that lead to these issues). I don't think most pro players have ever cared about emi, and most probably have never even heard that its a thing. A lot of people have been using the 3000 series without issues.

I'm really curious what could be the thing that causes these issues in certain builds.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 02 Aug 2022, 19:10

Shade7 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 16:15
Mugabi wrote:
in any location.

Why avoid Glass panels? Almost all new PC cases come with glass (at least the more popular brands).

And are EMI issues really that widespread? I'm always wondering why this seems to only affect certain people (what's so different in their circumstances that lead to these issues). I don't think most pro players have ever cared about emi, and most probably have never even heard that its a thing. A lot of people have been using the 3000 series without issues.

I'm really curious what could be the thing that causes these issues in certain builds.
If you are in a location that has radiated or conducted emi, the above solution I mentioned can help you by 95%. Most ppl don’t live in those horrible high emi conditions so they get away with it but they experience it slightly. There are also a big number of defective bad emi producing pc parts like faulty mobo or gpu or bad case (no metal to protect pc components), all you need to do is google emi and audio and you will see tons of people complaining about gpu producing too much emi that gets picked by their guitar or affect their sound card etc.

Most motherboards I have seen people complain about when they mention input lag or emi is mostly gigabyte and other vendors but mainly the cheap/mid range of 200$, the leads me to believe that a top tier mobo with a lot of good vrms and huge heat sink and power regulating delivery features can clean up dirty power and make it work, combine that with a powerful psu and too weak of a gpu, the strength of emi will be reduced greatly and thus not cause usb issues etc. well, that’s my current theory and I’m putting it to test, I have ordered x570 crosshair hero viii and a platinum 1000w be quiet for my 5600x chip and my rtx 3070. Mobo and psu are way too much for these parts, let’s see if pc responsiveness improves, if it does, I might try a weaker GPU than 3070 to further add to this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7735417

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 02 Aug 2022, 19:47

Mugabi wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 19:10
Shade7 wrote:
Mugabi wrote:
in any location.

If you are in a location that has radiated or conducted emi, the above solution I mentioned can help you by 95%. Most ppl don’t live in those horrible high emi conditions so they get away with it but they experience it slightly. There are also a big number of defective bad emi producing pc parts like faulty mobo or gpu or bad case (no metal to protect pc components), all you need to do is google emi and audio and you will see tons of people complaining about gpu producing too much emi that gets picked by their guitar or affect their sound card etc.

Most motherboards I have seen people complain about when they mention input lag or emi is mostly gigabyte and other vendors but mainly the cheap/mid range of 200$, the leads me to believe that a top tier mobo with a lot of good vrms and huge heat sink and power regulating delivery features can clean up dirty power and make it work, combine that with a powerful psu and too weak of a gpu, the strength of emi will be reduced greatly and thus not cause usb issues etc. well, that’s my current theory and I’m putting it to test, I have ordered x570 crosshair hero viii and a platinum 1000w be quiet for my 5600x chip and my rtx 3070. Mobo and psu are way too much for these parts, let’s see if pc responsiveness improves, if it does, I might try a weaker GPU than 3070 to further add to this

Excited to see your results.

I also have a 5600x in my setup (with a pretty cheap mobo, ASUS TUF B550 Plus).

How would one test for EMI conditions?

Right now, I've ordered a pure sine wave UPS, and seeing if that helps my issues that I've had across 2 different builds.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 02 Aug 2022, 20:03

Shade7 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 19:47
Mugabi wrote:
Shade7 wrote:
Mugabi wrote:
in any location.

Right now, I've ordered a pure sine wave UPS, and seeing if that helps my issues that I've had across 2 different builds.
I would say a UPS test might confirm if it is EMI or not if you see your gameplay improves, but even better if you test your pc in 2-3 different locations perhaps on your friends house etc and see if there’s improvement or not and test their computer in that location and compare. I never bothered buying testing equipments as they measure certain EMI frequencies only. Difference between offline and online? Do you still feel mouse being wonky offline?

Well, don’t get your hopes up too much tho lol,I predict their will be an improvement but by how much, we shall see. Sometimes, getting your system to be able to play games fine without too much input lag is a fix, you don’t need to have a 100% clean pro tier players gameplay. My issue is affecting my gameplay too much where it’s hard to do basic shit so if I improve that, I’ll win.

Whats your full 2 pc builds where you experience this issue ? What have you tried to fix so far?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 02 Aug 2022, 20:30

Mugabi wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:03
Shade7 wrote:
Mugabi wrote:
Shade7 wrote:

I would say a UPS test might confirm if it is EMI or not if you see your gameplay improves, but even better if you test your pc in 2-3 different locations perhaps on your friends house etc and see if there’s improvement or not and test their computer in that location and compare. I never bothered buying testing equipments as they measure certain EMI frequencies only. Difference between offline and online? Do you still feel mouse being wonky offline?

Well, don’t get your hopes up too much tho lol,I predict their will be an improvement but by how much, we shall see. Sometimes, getting your system to be able to play games fine without too much input lag is a fix, you don’t need to have a 100% clean pro tier players gameplay. My issue is affecting my gameplay too much where it’s hard to do basic shit so if I improve that, I’ll win.

Whats your full 2 pc builds where you experience this issue ? What have you tried to fix so far?

Build 1 (4-5 years old now)
-ASUS Z370-P MOBO
-Intel 8700K
-Samsung SSD EVO 500GB (forgot the exact model)
-EVGA 1080TI SC Black Edition
-Corsair H100i v2 AIO
-NZXT S340 MID Case
-Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80+ Bronze
-Corsair RAM 2x8GB vengeance LPX RAM 3200MHz C16

Build 2 (What I'm currently using)
-ASUS TUF B550 PLUS MOBO
-AMD 5600x
-EVGA 1080TI SC Black Edition (recycled from my old build) (Also tried Asrock 6600XT, but didn't like it)
-Artic P12 (7x) case fans
-Vetroo V5 CPU coolor
-Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVME
-Corsair 4000D Airflow Case
-CORSAIR RM850 850 W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD
-Tried 2 different Ram kits
  • Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB 3733Mhz C17
  • G-Skill 2x8GB 3200Mhz C14 (Samsung Bdie)
I've also switched ISPs last year. I used to have Comcast, but now have Verizon Fios Gigabit Fiber (940/940)

I've been having strange desync/oddities in my gameplay for the last few years. Only started really noticing it around 2020.

I also have tried two different monitors, a different Display-port cable, and several different Ethernet cables.
-Acer XF250Q 240Hz
-ASUS VG258QM 280Hz

One thing I've noticed is that when my game is working better (on a rare occasion, but it does happen from time to time) is that the ingame graphics look MUCH clearer. Right now I play Valorant as my main game, and when my PC is working well, the textures are a lot more detailed. It's especially noticeable when observing the walls of the map. You notice new details that you've never noticed before, despite playing that map countless times.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 02 Aug 2022, 21:25

Cool builds, and I agree with the thing about maps looking not good with shimmering and artificats, it happens to me as well. But the the thing that drives me crazy is mouse keyboard being super slow, feeling like dragging a 1kg mouse at some occasions and having tremendous lag/stutter online.
In those two builds, you experienced pretty much the same issues? Not much difference?
What made me think it’s hardware being susceptibile to these issues compared to other hardware is that I tried my friends pc in same location, and it performed way way better than mines, it wasn’t perfect but he had zero mouse keyboard issues and I was able to kill cleanly with many headshots without issues. Then I started to google stuff like “my new pc has input lag compared to my old” or “upgraded my mobo and I have input lag” and found many many threads on reddit about this, same location, same environment just different pc parts, this leds me to believe some hardware can be faulty n cause input lag or hardware not protected/shielded as much as it should compared to other hardware.

I have also tried my pc in 4-5 different locations without a single difference in performance, I don’t think all these places suffer from the exact same issue (maybe they are but very highly unlikely). And from all of this I gathered that, the biggest things that can impact pc performance is mobo+ psu + gpu+ cable management + case, you need all these to be in top notch condition to avoid your system getting affected by emi.

If you have time and money and know a place that do refunds, I would say try a top tier mobo (for amd x570 crosshair dark hero ) your psu isn’t too bad and perhaps a different gpu that is non gigabyte, keep replacing parts until you found the one that clicks. But start with UPS for now I would say, see how it goes.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 02 Aug 2022, 21:59

Mugabi wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:25
Cool builds, and I agree with the thing about maps looking not good with shimmering and artificats, it happens to me as well. But the the thing that drives me crazy is mouse keyboard being super slow, feeling like dragging a 1kg mouse at some occasions and having tremendous lag/stutter online.
In those two builds, you experienced pretty much the same issues? Not much difference?
What made me think it’s hardware being susceptibile to these issues compared to other hardware is that I tried my friends pc in same location, and it performed way way better than mines, it wasn’t perfect but he had zero mouse keyboard issues and I was able to kill cleanly with many headshots without issues. Then I started to google stuff like “my new pc has input lag compared to my old” or “upgraded my mobo and I have input lag” and found many many threads on reddit about this, same location, same environment just different pc parts, this leds me to believe some hardware can be faulty n cause input lag or hardware not protected/shielded as much as it should compared to other hardware.

I have also tried my pc in 4-5 different locations without a single difference in performance, I don’t think all these places suffer from the exact same issue (maybe they are but very highly unlikely). And from all of this I gathered that, the biggest things that can impact pc performance is mobo+ psu + gpu+ cable management + case, you need all these to be in top notch condition to avoid your system getting affected by emi.

If you have time and money and know a place that do refunds, I would say try a top tier mobo (for amd x570 crosshair dark hero ) your psu isn’t too bad and perhaps a different gpu that is non gigabyte, keep replacing parts until you found the one that clicks. But start with UPS for now I would say, see how it goes.
Interesting.

Yes- I'm very excited about the UPS. This is the one I ordered. Should arrive around Thursday.

https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-1500v ... 27623.html

Both builds have had the same issues I feel.

The inconsistencies started out with my first build while playing a different game a few years ago. Suddenly my gameplay became terrible. I went from having the #1 spot in ranked to the point where I struggled to win most gunfights- even against average players.

I've been troubleshooting more thoroughly the last few months (with the help of this forum & Valorant's support team).

At this point, I think I'm ruling out networking. I don't have any more packet loss since I have gotten Fiber. My speeds/bandwidth are also more than enough.

Right now, I hope it's something electrical that can be solved. I live in the U.S. (New Jersey) & in a fairly new home (~20 years old), so never considered that there could be an electrical issue causing these things. One thing I have noticed, is that the brightness of the ceiling lights in my room seem to vary on different days. My family doesn't notice it, but, I swear, some days it looks significantly brighter than others (I always keep the dimmer on maximum). My house did have some electrical work done about 6-7 years back. I wonder if they messed something up.

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 03 Aug 2022, 07:04

Shade7 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:30
Mugabi wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:03
Shade7 wrote:
Mugabi wrote:

Build 1 (4-5 years old now)
-ASUS Z370-P MOBO
-Intel 8700K
-Samsung SSD EVO 500GB (forgot the exact model)
-EVGA 1080TI SC Black Edition
-Corsair H100i v2 AIO
-NZXT S340 MID Case
-Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80+ Bronze
-Corsair RAM 2x8GB vengeance LPX RAM 3200MHz C16

Build 2 (What I'm currently using)
-ASUS TUF B550 PLUS MOBO
-AMD 5600x
-EVGA 1080TI SC Black Edition (recycled from my old build) (Also tried Asrock 6600XT, but didn't like it)
-Artic P12 (7x) case fans
-Vetroo V5 CPU coolor
-Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVME
-Corsair 4000D Airflow Case
-CORSAIR RM850 850 W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD
-Tried 2 different Ram kits
  • Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB 3733Mhz C17
  • G-Skill 2x8GB 3200Mhz C14 (Samsung Bdie)
I've also switched ISPs last year. I used to have Comcast, but now have Verizon Fios Gigabit Fiber (940/940)

I've been having strange desync/oddities in my gameplay for the last few years. Only started really noticing it around 2020.

I also have tried two different monitors, a different Display-port cable, and several different Ethernet cables.
-Acer XF250Q 240Hz
-ASUS VG258QM 280Hz

One thing I've noticed is that when my game is working better (on a rare occasion, but it does happen from time to time) is that the ingame graphics look MUCH clearer. Right now I play Valorant as my main game, and when my PC is working well, the textures are a lot more detailed. It's especially noticeable when observing the walls of the map. You notice new details that you've never noticed before, despite playing that map countless times.
It's crazy cuz I noticed the exact same things on top of the mouse input lag, microstuttering and desync issues with graphics looker clearer and better with nicer textures, less jagged shimmering lines and edges and no graininess when it is better. Atleast I know you and I have same detailed issues.

It also randomly improves for me sometime. But other times the first few minutes starting up the game first time for the day it is better. Alao it was better on for an hour while using couple vpns first times. And lastly, it gets better for few seconds when i get back on the game after doing something else with game minimized.
So far I think it's internet related. What you think?