I bought the Steam Deck. Need advice

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Quake88

I bought the Steam Deck. Need advice

Post by Quake88 » 26 Sep 2022, 06:25

It will arrive in a week or so. I was wondering what measures I could take in order to make sure this device doesn't get infected as well by whatever issue we are dealing with :lol:

For those who don't know it is a handheld device similar to Switch made by Valve. It runs on batteries so I figured it might help with the issue. The thing is I stopped playing competitive games since a year or so and I didn't buy this device as a saving grace for gaming. It has a lot of latency by default so it wouldn't make sense to use it on competitive titles.

I mainy plan to use it for music producing and to play few casual games here and there. So I'm mostly worried about audio issues and crackling that was noticable on all of my devices before. I don't want that to return and also other issues that you are all aware already like keyboard and mouse lag, streaming being choppy, coil whine etc

My question is;

What are the measures I could take in order to have this thing working correctly? I might be too paranoid but I don't want this thing plugged in my haunted apartment. I bought a USB C 45W car charger and few other acessories to charge my Steam Deck in a car. But this is not practical and I don't plan to do it for more than a few days. What else can I do to protect it? I don't want to spend any more money but something cheap that could help would be nice. I will eventually have to start charging it in my apartment. If you have any suggestions let me know. I never used a good quality surge protector so maybe I should go with that

delve

Re: I bought the Steam Deck. Need advice

Post by delve » 27 Sep 2022, 09:41

get a cheap power station or powerbank. If you want to charge with AC charger, it should be capable of pure sine.

Btw you could also get a notebook plus power station for your purposes.

cybepine

Post by cybepine » 27 Sep 2022, 10:16

Seems you have problems with electricity, so I would suggest calling an electrician. Your ground is not "clean".

DO NOT do these yourself! Some of these are dangerous to do.

Ask the electrician to do at least these:

-Check that grounding is good (outlet) → low impedance (less than 5 ohms]
-Check that there are no currents on water pipes (or if you have cable TV, also on those).
-Measure that there are no currents or voltages on grounding and neutral wires in the electrical panel (when electricity is off).
-Tighten the panel wiring screws.
-Turn your oven on and ask to measure current on input wire (hot) and output wire (neutral). The current should be the same, if not you have wiring error/s. These lead to a dangerous neutral current that flows in the ground conductors.These need to be fixed.

"Neutral current on an equipment grounding conductor is a life safety hazard as it will put current and voltage on grounds, grounded appliance chassis, pipes and other metallic pathways. A severe shock or even electrocution could result to a plumber, HVAC mechanic or anyone who falsely assumes that ground wires, pipes or appliances are safe."

Here is a example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3kicaEWpk

There is not infected state. Only damaged, magnetized or malfunctioning states and so on.

Quake88

Post by Quake88 » 28 Sep 2022, 05:03

cybepine wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 10:16
Seems you have problems with electricity, so I would suggest calling an electrician. Your ground is not "clean".

DO NOT do these yourself! Some of these are dangerous to do.

Ask the electrician to do at least these:

-Check that grounding is good (outlet) → low impedance (less than 5 ohms]
-Check that there are no currents on water pipes (or if you have cable TV, also on those).
-Measure that there are no currents or voltages on grounding and neutral wires in the electrical panel (when electricity is off).
-Tighten the panel wiring screws.
-Turn your oven on and ask to measure current on input wire (hot) and output wire (neutral). The current should be the same, if not you have wiring error/s. These lead to a dangerous neutral current that flows in the ground conductors.These need to be fixed.

"Neutral current on an equipment grounding conductor is a life safety hazard as it will put current and voltage on grounds, grounded appliance chassis, pipes and other metallic pathways. A severe shock or even electrocution could result to a plumber, HVAC mechanic or anyone who falsely assumes that ground wires, pipes or appliances are safe."

Here is a example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3kicaEWpk

There is not infected state. Only damaged, magnetized or malfunctioning states and so
Thanks for suggestion but I don't have any of those issues. My PC works fine half of the time it is just inconsistent but it is not damaged. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. I just don't want any of my new devices being connected with my previous equipment either by hardware or software in case it is a virus or something like that.
It is more of a case of having that fresh start, like when people move to a new house they prefer to have everything new and fresh. I made a new Steam, Gmail, YouTube etc 🤣