[EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
[email protected]

Re: EMI 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Post by [email protected] » 19 Jan 2023, 15:06

KingAzar wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 14:17

Yeah if my EMI was high without anything plugged into the wall then it would make sense that a filter or other source could help. From my perspective, it's coming from my desktop.

My next test before ordering another PSU (this is going to be hard finding the right PSU) anyway, next test is to test the PSU without any component from my PC plugged in. I'm worried that the culprit is one of my hardware but maybe I'm overthinking?
The power supply has several tasks: to supply your PC with voltage, but also to filter the voltage for the PC and the other way around too: Protect the public power grid from your pollution of the power grid. Each power supply is already equipped with filters, but these only meet the minimum legal requirements.

You already have the Emi Meter. If I were you, I would simply order different filters, measure them with the Emi Meter and try to evaluate them objectively and critically after playing. Do small readings really make the game feel better? You keep the best filter for you and send the others back. You could even try the Greenwave filter.

I don't think it's the GPU.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 19 Jan 2023, 15:45

:arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/By6wxkD5PfWUp2W6A

From another testing

1. I did turn off my computer (Gaming PC) and my Pfsense box (dell desktop) on the reading I get around 80mV which is low. This tells me that my wall plug is not that bad regarding EMI: Do you guys agree with this sentence?

- Now when I turn on just the Pfsense box I get fluctuation and it goes up to 400mV: which is terrible!

- I tested turning on my computer PSU without HDD and GPU connected and I get up to 800mV (I also tried with HDD and GPU connected and same result)

Finally, when I plug everything back to normal, my computer only will get the EMI reader up to 1500mV

I think here we can call out that it's a PSU issue. Unless I am missing something

I ordered on amazing the Corsair HX1500i for testing and will arrive tomorrow night

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 19 Jan 2023, 15:59

Can you also post your PC specs…
Nice testing bro i am lookin foward to see how that 1500W PSU will perform…

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 19 Jan 2023, 16:24

MegaMelmek wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 15:59
Can you also post your PC specs…
Nice testing bro i am lookin foward to see how that 1500W PSU will perform…
Thanks man!

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII (CH8)
CPU: AMD 5950x
Cooler: NZXT X73
Ram: G.Skill 2x16Gb 3900Mhz
PSU: Corsair HX850

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 19 Jan 2023, 17:03

Side question,

If when my computer is ON and emits EMI of 1500mV. Does it mean that the current inside my hardware is full of it and that makes it instable to the point I get input lag, packet loss, lag etc?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 19 Jan 2023, 17:24

KingAzar wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 17:03
Side question,

If when my computer is ON and emits EMI of 1500mV. Does it mean that the current inside my hardware is full of it and that makes it instable to the point I get input lag, packet loss, lag etc?
Could be. Even if you could measure EMI in your hardware , you don't know what effect EMI has on hardware. You can fix it only with "try and error". :(
But the EMI Meter will show you the right way. I Hope :D

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 19 Jan 2023, 17:34

KingAzar wrote:
Side question,

All that is possible, but will be nice to see the difference between these PSU…. u need to do proper testing on PC do not expect same numbers at begining. If the numbers come to same range than we can call that there is nothing wrong with the HW i guess

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 19 Jan 2023, 18:32

MegaMelmek wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 17:34
KingAzar wrote:
Side question,

All that is possible, but will be nice to see the difference between these PSU…. u need to do proper testing on PC do not expect same numbers at begining. If the numbers come to same range than we can call that there is nothing wrong with the HW i guess
My plan is to test tomorrow right out of the box without plugging into the computer the HX1500i (apparently as per the test online the EMC EMI is really low) to the outlet where the EMI is 80mV without anything else running or plugged. This will tell me if the PSU is clean out of the box. Then will do a test once installed on the PC.

If the test fails, I will return it and try to get a Seasonic PSU. I want to focus on that part first before working on filtering the outlet and getting another PSU for the pfsense box since this one is also acting!

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 20 Jan 2023, 15:39

That's alot of EMI! Not gonna lie, at first, I was like this must be due to all that rainbow puke RGB in his case haha. Hopefully the new PSU works mate. Thank God for amazon return policy! Keep us updated
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 20 Jan 2023, 18:04

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 15:39
That's alot of EMI! Not gonna lie, at first, I was like this must be due to all that rainbow puke RGB in his case haha. Hopefully the new PSU works mate. Thank God for amazon return policy! Keep us updated
I also thought it was RGB and the HDDs (I have 3 of them) and realized that it doesn't impact that much. When the PSU is not connected to much hardware it's emitting up to 800mV and once all connect it goes up to 1500mV. Maybe the intensity of the EMI gets high because how the PSU is not functioning properly (not sure). Will see what the new PSU will do, it's out for delivery :)