[EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Thatweirdinputlag

Re: [EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 25 Jan 2023, 00:23

True, my bad for not including my part of the conversation! I never said the problem was the PSU, I already mentioned to the CS agent that probably the electricity is causing these issues, what can go really bad in the electric grid to start effecting the PSU and its power delivery to the PC. However I did ask whether a higher quality PSU with Titanium Rating might be beneficial, he did say it will behave better but his answer was also vague and lacks foundation.

I contacted them approximately 5 months ago, when an electronics store close to me brought their Prime TX lineup. The 850W variant from that lineup would set me back about $275. The 1000W is close to $350.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 25 Jan 2023, 00:36

Thatweirdinputlag wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2023, 02:51
KingAzar wrote: ↑
23 Jan 2023, 19:28
Also, I was playing around with EMF Meter, and like you guys said some components will emit something. So far these components get some detection:
- PSU
- AIO Water Pump (Is if from the Infiniti Glass)?
- Memory RAM (Is it from the RGB?)
- Fan (Is it from the RGB?

:arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aoZ8ZvGQ7cPwBnSR9
That is completely normal, as long as the reader doesn't detect anything beyond 1-2 ft away from any electronic equipment. In general, anything that carries rapidly changing electrical currents will have electromagnetic emissions. A typical 12900k CPU for instance has close to 3 Billion transistors which can switch on and off at an extremely high frequency. So to simplify it, assuming a 5000MHz CPU frequency then each of those transistors are switching on and off 5,000,000,000 times a second and that is what emits the electromagnetic interference. Same goes to basically every component in your system. Most PC Fans however are DC fans that come with a 4th pin for PWM signal "Pulse-Width Modulation", which sends high frequency waves of pulses rather than the full DC current "Direct Current" to make them spin, they are more efficient and quieter than regular DC "3-Pin fans" since they can operate at lower rpms and consume less energy while making less noise, even though they are actually making noise from those pulses, but the frequency of that noise is well beyond any audible sound for the human's range of hearing. those pulses however also produces electromagnetic emissions.

In general don't take the readings of your EMF meter at heart, as long as there are no emissions beyond 1-1.5ft away then it's normal. As for the emissions inside of your case itself, well, all I can tell you is that you have so many streamers with their RGB Puke cases displayed in the background and they don't experience any of our issues. You can play with spread-spectrum values in your Bios, but that "in my humble opinion" changes nothing, since the amount of EMI emissions will still be present, they are just spread over varying frequencies "to adhere to EMC regulations".
Thank you so much for the explanation! This is awesome

Question: Since the PSU is emitting EMI in the electric line, does that also mean that my computer is self-inflecting bad electricity?

triplese

Post by triplese » 25 Jan 2023, 08:21

25 Jan 2023, 00:36
Question: Since the PSU is emitting EMI in the electric line, does that also mean that my computer is self-inflecting bad electricity?
EMI is interference. You cannot emmit interference anywhere. Google interference, this is kind of resonance.
What exact you meter shows nobody knows. Probably, its radio field meter, but one more time - nobody knows on what frequencies that meter works. It can show 1500 parrots and dont show 100500 mV field of other frequency, because any antenna can work universally on all frequency ranges.

triplese

Post by triplese » 25 Jan 2023, 08:24

25 Jan 2023, 00:23
True, my bad for not including my part of the conversation! I never said the problem was the PSU, I already mentioned to the CS agent that probably the electricity is causing these issues, what can go really bad in the electric grid to start effecting the PSU and its power delivery to the PC. However I did ask whether a higher quality PSU with Titanium Rating might be beneficial, he did say it will behave better but his answer was also vague and lacks foundation.
I dont think that any PSU can be beneficial with that. I have PC and laptop, laptop have same desync even with disconnected charger.
Same with fiber and LTE, so...

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 25 Jan 2023, 09:04

I contacted them approximately 5 months ago, when an electronics store close to me brought their Prime TX lineup. The 850W variant from that lineup would set me back about $275. The 1000W is close to $350.
You should be more worried about if you're actually get the proper incoming AC and not wild fluctuations/extreme harmonics (even though your PSU and motherboard filter probably 90+% or more. A true lab AC generator is probably something that could eliminate the possibility of it being specifically linked to the electricity. I think more reasonably it's linked to just poor power quality. I'm currently running my own tests. If I remember, I'll report back here with my results and opinions. Obviously 99% of you still likely have 5 billion power saving features on, unstable memory kits, ETC. But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. If you actually have issues and you've fully eliminated the possibility of it being the software/hardware, then it's either EMI or power quality issues such as voltage droop or voltage spikes.

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 25 Jan 2023, 17:28

25 Jan 2023, 00:36
24 Jan 2023, 02:51
23 Jan 2023, 19:28
Also, I was playing around with EMF Meter, and like you guys said some components will emit something. So far these components get some detection:
- PSU
- AIO Water Pump (Is if from the Infiniti Glass)?
- Memory RAM (Is it from the RGB?)
- Fan (Is it from the RGB?

:arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aoZ8ZvGQ7cPwBnSR9
That is completely normal, as long as the reader doesn't detect anything beyond 1-2 ft away from any electronic equipment. In general, anything that carries rapidly changing electrical currents will have electromagnetic emissions. A typical 12900k CPU for instance has close to 3 Billion transistors which can switch on and off at an extremely high frequency. So to simplify it, assuming a 5000MHz CPU frequency then each of those transistors are switching on and off 5,000,000,000 times a second and that is what emits the electromagnetic interference. Same goes to basically every component in your system. Most PC Fans however are DC fans that come with a 4th pin for PWM signal "Pulse-Width Modulation", which sends high frequency waves of pulses rather than the full DC current "Direct Current" to make them spin, they are more efficient and quieter than regular DC "3-Pin fans" since they can operate at lower rpms and consume less energy while making less noise, even though they are actually making noise from those pulses, but the frequency of that noise is well beyond any audible sound for the human's range of hearing. those pulses however also produces electromagnetic emissions.

In general don't take the readings of your EMF meter at heart, as long as there are no emissions beyond 1-1.5ft away then it's normal. As for the emissions inside of your case itself, well, all I can tell you is that you have so many streamers with their RGB Puke cases displayed in the background and they don't experience any of our issues. You can play with spread-spectrum values in your Bios, but that "in my humble opinion" changes nothing, since the amount of EMI emissions will still be present, they are just spread over varying frequencies "to adhere to EMC regulations".
Thank you so much for the explanation! This is awesome

Yes, that's right. Your computer itself emits bad electricity. This makes any switching power supply. Router power supply, phone charger, LED lamps, washing machines, TVs, monitors. The more powerful the power supply, the more it emits bad electricity.
To combat bad electricity, you need:
1) online ups
2) inverter voltage stabilizer
3) isolating transformer.
I recommend options 1 and 2.
You can ask for an online ups test or an inverter voltage regulator and see if it will affect your computer.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 25 Jan 2023, 17:35

Will I get any benefit from AC Power Filer / Power Conditioner?

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 25 Jan 2023, 22:48

25 Jan 2023, 17:35
Will I get any benefit from AC Power Filer / Power Conditioner?
power filters don't correct voltage swings in the upside or downside. They simple attempt to filter noise. Your PSU/MOBO typically does this really well (not saying there isn't room for improvement). You may benefit from it but probably not unless you have god awful equipment. What you would benefit from is making sure you're getting a constant stable AC voltage being fed into the equipment.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 26 Jan 2023, 02:40

Eonds wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2023, 09:04

You should be more worried about if you're actually get the proper incoming AC and not wild fluctuations/extreme harmonics (even though your PSU and motherboard filter probably 90+% or more. A true lab AC generator is probably something that could eliminate the possibility of it being specifically linked to the electricity. I think more reasonably it's linked to just poor power quality. I'm currently running my own tests. If I remember, I'll report back here with my results and opinions. Obviously 99% of you still likely have 5 billion power saving features on, unstable memory kits, ETC. But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. If you actually have issues and you've fully eliminated the possibility of it being the software/hardware, then it's either EMI or power quality issues such as voltage droop or voltage spikes.
Did I mention wild fluctuations/extreme harmonics? I don't think I did, I don't even have the proper equipment to test for them, let alone the adequate electrical technical background to say so. Hence I asked the CS about what could possibly be wrong in the electric grid that might negatively effect the power supple, and since his answer was too vague I just didn't reiterate.

Also, "Even though your PSU and motherboard filter probably 90+% or more." Source please?

Nevertheless, I'm not dismissive towards anything, I'm always open to suggestions as long as they are backed by solid reasoning/foundation and not some random disconnect/connect something and pooofff lag is gone. I'm also concerned about digging for them 5 billion power saving features when I know that the unaffected players have absolutely no inpulg or desync while not even knowing jackshit on what Bios is or how to change their OS's power from balanced to performance. I've lived through the Bios and RAM troubleshooting era, and it was quite depressing to say the least lol.

Until now, the only meaningful guaranteed way to gain back input responsiveness and get rid of the desync and stutters is to completely format the PC, not even resetting it works! A complete format using Windows Media Installation tool and a USB hard drive. Today I'll try the app Deepfreeze. I'll see how it goes, it has a trial run period, hopefully its enough to confirm whether it's a viable option. If it is, then I'll just invest another $60 into this issue and call it a day. I'll update you guys on this!
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 26 Jan 2023, 02:55

26 Jan 2023, 02:40
Eonds wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2023, 09:04

Did I mention wild fluctuations/extreme harmonics? I don't think I did, I don't even have the proper equipment to test for them, let alone the adequate electrical technical background to say so. Hence I asked the CS about what could possibly be wrong in the electric grid that might negatively effect the power supple, and since his answer was too vague I just didn't reiterate.

Also, "Even though your PSU and motherboard filter probably 90+% or more." Source please?

Nevertheless, I'm not dismissive towards anything, I'm always open to suggestions as long as they are backed by solid reasoning/foundation and not some random disconnect/connect something and pooofff lag is gone. I'm also concerned about digging for them 5 billion power saving features when I know that the unaffected players have absolutely no inpulg or desync while not even knowing jackshit on what Bios is or how to change their OS's power from balanced to performance. I've lived through the Bios and RAM troubleshooting era, and it was quite depressing to say the least lol.

Until now, the only meaningful guaranteed way to gain back input responsiveness and get rid of the desync and stutters is to completely format the PC, not even resetting it works! A complete format using Windows Media Installation tool and a USB hard drive. Today I'll try the app Deepfreeze. I'll see how it goes, it has a trial run period, hopefully its enough to confirm whether it's a viable option. If it is, then I'll just invest another $60 into this issue and call it a day. I'll update you guys on this!
My source is every single power supply review published by toms hardware/basic electronic design. All designs of high performance devices have filtering and so does your motherboard. People who design electronics know that AC is dirty. You don't play on raw AC mains. If you have really bad motherboards & power supplies maybe it's not as good. Speaking from experience I've had awful power supplies and still didn't feel much of a difference which is why I believe it's power sag/spikes rather than interference/noise. It takes a insane amount of interference to mess with your setup. I mean so powerful to the point where it'd be obvious as to what's causing it.