[EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
assombrosso

Re: [EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Post by assombrosso » 03 Mar 2023, 07:02

dervu wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 05:21
assombrosso wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 02:08
KingAzar wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 00:27
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 16:58

That's actually pretty neat! You ended up plugging the filters back to back?

Did you try gaming while the meter is on? Can you also do more measurements at different times/days? No need for a video ofc, just a follow-up..

I guess for you now the testing phase begins, 3-4 weeks should be optimal. Plus you still have 2 more filters on the way..
Here is what's going on

I now have 4 filters and the gain is not huge but still good to see. The best configuration on a small single circuit power bar would be 2 + 2 and have your pc connected in the middle. Now I am between 50 to 65mV with, smart light ON, 4 phone charging, dimmer light on: Video :idea:

Gaming-wise, all my mice are very responsive, I don't even know which one to use, the floating lag feeling has been gone since I went from 1500mV to 120mV and now at 55mV, it feels the same. In-game experience is also great, I have more time to react when my ping is on the good side (depending on which server I play) but even on high ping (65) I still do things that were head-hurting to accomplish before!

To be honest I am happy for now! I will keep you posted in the next coming weeks! I decided to return the Furman, this 4 little guys are doing great
In a bad location, what we noticed is, electricity affects components gradually until lag fully settles in and then can’t be fixed, that should take around 6-9 days to fully settle in, so be ready, god bless.
By saying "fully settles in and then can't be fixed" do you mean that it is not working better even if you disconnect PC completely for whole day or more and then connect again?
Yeah I mean the lag will shortly then comes back fast when you do those things like not opening it for couple of days or reinstall windows or etc etc, it will fix lag for couple of hours then will come back fast, this is my experience and stuff I heard from others but yeah very bizzare things tbh

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 03 Mar 2023, 11:18

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 01:30
KingAzar wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 00:27

Here is what's going on

I now have 4 filters and the gain is not huge but still good to see. The best configuration on a small single circuit power bar would be 2 + 2 and have your pc connected in the middle. Now I am between 50 to 65mV with, smart light ON, 4 phone charging, dimmer light on: Video :idea:

Gaming-wise, all my mice are very responsive, I don't even know which one to use, the floating lag feeling has been gone since I went from 1500mV to 120mV and now at 55mV, it feels the same. In-game experience is also great, I have more time to react when my ping is on the good side (depending on which server I play) but even on high ping (65) I still do things that were head-hurting to accomplish before!

To be honest I am happy for now! I will keep you posted in the next coming weeks! I decided to return the Furman, this 4 little guys are doing great
Wonderful mate, congrats! Keep in mind that new rigs always tend to work nicely, I.E. no input lag, barely any desync or lag problems so on and so forth. At least that was one of the main observable results of getting a new setup. However, I have a great deal of optimism regarding your case. Best of luck and keep us posted!
Keep in extreme mind that before switching to this new rig, with 2 filters the input lag issue has been fixed for weeks and the desync has been reduced. On this new rig, I still have the same feeling on the input and will try more in desync in game since I haven't play much so far

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 03 Mar 2023, 13:59

KingAzar wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 11:18

Keep in extreme mind that before switching to this new rig, with 2 filters the input lag issue has been fixed for weeks and the desync has been reduced. On this new rig, I still have the same feeling on the input and will try more in desync in game since I haven't play much so far
Even more promising! Fingers crossed..
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 11 Mar 2023, 03:36

I decided to add some findings to this post since creating another post will just be redundant. Plus having similar methods/results does help others researching this..

My Trifield EMI meter arrived today. I never wanted to purchase one of those in-line EMI analyzers since they had a lot of controversy around them, things like and not limited to; "but your PSU filters everything when it converts AC to DC" and "those analyzers only show inaudible high frequencies and do not show low frequencies that actually matter".

So yea, for me, ordering one internationally almost meant another $250 down the drain, and since I already had Greenwave filters lying around "used for about 3 days until a severe sort of headache kicked in" I decided to find a way to place those filters again, while keeping them away from me as far as possible yet still be on the same power strip as the PC & Monitor.

Findings:

- As KingAzar configured his filters placement, I went ahead and did the same, but placing both the PC & the Monitor between the 2 Filters, and the results were mind boggling. As it appears, the filters are actually doing their work, and even while my PC is on "no load, just High Performance Power Plan with C-States disabled" the EMI reader gave me a 20-22mV, which is way better than I expected it to be.

- However, outside the power strip is a different scenario, my other room outlets "same circuit" had about 50-55mV in general. Outside of my room, living room and other bedrooms had about 60-65mV, 1 line in the kitchen had 60mV and the other one had 200mV "spot lights and main kitchen light are connected to that circuit", when lights were turned off, the readings went down to about 25mV. Living room light circuit has about 15 7W led lights "3 chandeliers" giving a reading of 500-510mV while on and just about 35-38mV while off.

- After disconnecting the 2 Filters, the entire house now gives higher readings in general "which is to be expected", the PC Power Strip now has about "860-875mV", and the room sockets had just about 450mV on each. Other sockets around the house had their reading either doubled or tripled and they are all above the 100mV mark.

Things to Consider:

- Me and KingAzar have different EMI analyzers. The Trifield one that I have has this written in its specs:
"+/- 8% @ 20 kHZ to 2 MHz; within a factor of 2 from 10 kHz to 10 MHz". His analyzer only states 10kHz to 10MHz if I'm not mistaken.

- The readings were done during the daytime, leaning more to actual early hours on a weekend "Saturday around 10:30AM". I usually never play at this time, nor will I ever do so. I will however follow up on this post with more findings as soon as I gather a bit more readings throughout the week.

- The Analyzer is showing close to 247 voltage potential on AC mains, it's actually not since I low-key freaked out when I saw that number and immediately pulled my clamp meter to measure the voltage. It was 229V "230 is the expected voltage standard in my country". So, I still have no idea why it was giving such high readings.

Pictures of PC Power Strip reading with and without filters:

Incase the pics don't show up: https://imgur.com/a/qmqBRz0
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 13 Mar 2023, 02:53

Good findings here! 3 days ago I started to experience some weird lag and behavior, then my brand-new motherboard died! I got the replacement and everything is back to normal! Until my motherboard died I didn't experience any lag or input lag since few weeks but this already started way before I got this new PC.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 13 Mar 2023, 11:27

KingAzar wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 02:53
Good findings here! 3 days ago I started to experience some weird lag and behavior, then my brand-new motherboard died! I got the replacement and everything is back to normal! Until my motherboard died I didn't experience any lag or input lag since few weeks but this already started way before I got this new PC.
That is unfortunate! Any idea what killed it?
I received 2 more EU filters today, $60 a piece without shipping and import fees lol. Will do more testing later on since i’m currently a bit sick and my brain barely functions.

loccomacco

Post by loccomacco » 13 Mar 2023, 11:49

KingAzar wrote:
was it connected directly to the outlet or what?

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 14 Mar 2023, 15:37

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 11:27
KingAzar wrote:
That is unfortunate! Any idea what killed it?
I received 2 more EU filters today, $60 a piece without shipping and import fees lol. Will do more testing later on since i’m currently a bit sick and my brain barely functions.
We found out! Something happened that end up corrupting the BIOS and was impossible to recover, even the backup bios was pooped and the flash recovery USB or removing the battery didn't help either! But all fixed now and it's not related to EMI issue

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 22 Mar 2023, 16:46

I'm giving you my weekly update and just to let you know that the setup that I have regarding managing EMI has been working fine since I had my old computer, then replace it with a new one a few weeks ago and everything is still smooth, and sharp! :mrgreen:

My new pain is not DDR5!!!! I got a set of 2 x 16GB at 7200 and doesn't run properly at XMP and need a lot of tweaking in Bios

adelsa123

Post by adelsa123 » 22 Mar 2023, 18:27

KingAzar wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 16:46
I'm giving you my weekly update and just to let you know that the setup that I have regarding managing EMI has been working fine since I had my old computer, then replace it with a new one a few weeks ago and everything is still smooth, and sharp! :mrgreen:

My new pain is not DDR5!!!! I got a set of 2 x 16GB at 7200 and doesn't run properly at XMP and need a lot of tweaking in Bios
hi mannnn do u hhave grounding in ur house !!