[EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
assombrosso

Re: [EMI] 1500mV When computer is running!!!

Post by assombrosso » 15 Feb 2023, 04:56

Be careful guys, you might end up losing braincels by trying million different methods

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 15 Feb 2023, 11:01

[email protected] wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 03:53
KingAzar wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 22:52
I ordered two Greenwave EMI filter. Will see how it goes with that.

My recommendation also is, when you do things, please try to post pictures and videos :idea:
Any results?
The filters should arrive by tomorrow, then like the other person say I have to let it connect for a week to make sure its burning in

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 16 Feb 2023, 00:14

I received two Greenwave filters and connected them on daisy-chained with my computer and Pfsense. I am happy to say that now the noise on my line is between 80 and 120 mV, which I was at 600mV when I changed my PSU to the HX1200 and I was initially at 1500mV with the HX850

:arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVuL7R9aem51FmnW7

Now what's my feedback:
  • Is my head hurting? Have been using this for 5 hours now and have no sign of headache
  • How does the mouse feel? Very snappy, but it was already snappy when I got my mV down the 500-600. Now I can tell all movement is going in straight because I was jittering today and oh boy! Very responsive, I even have to play with the sensitivity
  • How about the desync in-game? Well, I only play Valorant but I didn't touch the game for about 3 weeks now and what I can notice is that have been playing for the last 5 hours also, and I did not notice too much desync like usual. Now I can't certify if it's because of the change that I just made, cause I just recently saw that Riot just made the following change in the game, which probably helped.
Valorant Patch 6.02
GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS UPDATES
When a player fires a shot, it takes time for the input to reach the server. To prevent you from needing to lead your shots, VALORANT implements server rewinding. When the server determines the outcome of a shot, it rewinds character positions around the bullet to match their locations at the time when the shot was initially fired. Finding the right limit for a max rewind amount is important for reducing cases of anyone feeling like they need to lead shots, or that they can still be shot after safely repositioning themselves.

When we launched the game, the max rewind value was set to 200 ms based on what we deemed as acceptable networking conditions (factoring in some amount of additional input/processing latency) to play VALORANT. Based on player data since launch, we’ve determined that this value is too high for the networking conditions experienced by most of you. —Kevin Lee, Software Engineer

Adjusted max server rewind limit down to 140 ms from 200 ms.
If you only play in games where everyone’s ping is low, you shouldn’t even notice this change. In other cases, the impact from this change will be subtle, and most of you won’t notice the difference. That being said, we expect to see the following changes in gameplay patterns:
Playing against players with high ping should feel less like you’re getting shot after moving behind cover by a bullet fired earlier
Players playing with high ping may start to experience hit registration inaccuracy
These behaviors already exist in VALORANT, but we are shifting the needle for what we consider “high ping” to be less generous. We hope that this change reduces the frustration players feel when playing against high ping players and continues to minimize the impact of networking conditions on gameplay.
If you want to dive deeper into hit registration in VALORANT, check out our previous piece from 2020.
For some more about one of the reasons that motivated this update, read our first Gameplay Consistency Update, and then our most recent update from last year.
Conclusion: the line noise is now very low, I was at 1500mV and now I am at around 80-120mV. I can feel the change but I am not satisfied because even if the line noise is low, it is still a bit high and not stable (goes up and down). I've been advised to add two more filters but I am not certain that I want all of this connected into 1 power bar in my room. Now the good thing is that I found this video where the guy is mixing his Greenwave filter and power conditioner which got him from 1300mV (dirty electricity from kitchen lights and probably fridge) to 37mV!!!! I think that will be my next move because at the moment I'm using a regular power bar with small power surge protection.

Hope you guys find a solution, I will continue to give you more updates if anything changes.
Last edited by KingAzar on 16 Feb 2023, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 16 Feb 2023, 01:49

KingAzar wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 00:14
I received two Greenwave filters and connected them on daisy-chained with my computer and Pfsense. I am happy to say that now the noise on my line is between 80 and 120 mV, which I was at 600mV when I changed my PSU to the HX1200 and I was initially at 1500mV with the HX850

:arrow: Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVuL7R9aem51FmnW7

Now what's my feedback:
  • Is my head hurting? Have been using this for 5 hours now and have no sign of headache
  • How does the mouse feel? Very snappy, but it was already snappy when I got my mV down the 500-600. Now I can tell all movement is going in straight because I was jittering today and oh boy! Very responsive, I even have to play with the sensitivity
  • How about the desync in-game? Well, I only play Valorant but I didn't touch the game for about 3 weeks now and what I can notice is that have been playing for the last 5 hours also, and I did not notice too much desync like usual. Now I can't certify if it's because of the change that I just made, cause I just recently saw that Riot just made the following change in the game, which probably helped.
Valorant Patch 6.02
GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS UPDATES
When a player fires a shot, it takes time for the input to reach the server. To prevent you from needing to lead your shots, VALORANT implements server rewinding. When the server determines the outcome of a shot, it rewinds character positions around the bullet to match their locations at the time when the shot was initially fired. Finding the right limit for a max rewind amount is important for reducing cases of anyone feeling like they need to lead shots, or that they can still be shot after safely repositioning themselves.

When we launched the game, the max rewind value was set to 200 ms based on what we deemed as acceptable networking conditions (factoring in some amount of additional input/processing latency) to play VALORANT. Based on player data since launch, we’ve determined that this value is too high for the networking conditions experienced by most of you. —Kevin Lee, Software Engineer

Adjusted max server rewind limit down to 140 ms from 200 ms.
If you only play in games where everyone’s ping is low, you shouldn’t even notice this change. In other cases, the impact from this change will be subtle, and most of you won’t notice the difference. That being said, we expect to see the following changes in gameplay patterns:
Playing against players with high ping should feel less like you’re getting shot after moving behind cover by a bullet fired earlier
Players playing with high ping may start to experience hit registration inaccuracy
These behaviors already exist in VALORANT, but we are shifting the needle for what we consider “high ping” to be less generous. We hope that this change reduces the frustration players feel when playing against high ping players and continues to minimize the impact of networking conditions on gameplay.
If you want to dive deeper into hit registration in VALORANT, check out our previous piece from 2020.
For some more about one of the reasons that motivated this update, read our first Gameplay Consistency Update, and then our most recent update from last year.
Conclusion: the line noise is now very low, I was at 1500mV and now I am at around 80-120mV. I can feel the change but I am not satisfied because even if the line noise is low, it is still a bit high and not stable (goes up and down). I've been advised to add two more filters but I am not certain that I want all of this connected into 1 power bar in my room. Now the good thing is that I found this video where the guy is mixing his Greenwave filter and power conditioner which got him from 1300mV (dirty electricity from kitchen lights and probably fridge) to 37mV!!!! I think that will be my next move because at the moment I'm using a regular power bar with small power surge protection.

Hope you guys find a solution, I will continue to give you more updates if anything changes.
Thank you for the update! If I'm not mistaken, you really don't need to plug them all into the same power strip. Your entire room is usually on the same circuit, so plugging them anywhere else should have the same results, no? If you can try plugging them into a different outlet "in your room" and keep the meter where it is now, do you still see the same results?

All in all, it looks great, and please keep them as far away from your body as possible. I think the fact that both of the filters were plugged directly under my desk with one of them just about 1 feet away from me is what caused the headaches.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 16 Feb 2023, 02:48

Thank you,

It doesn't work great by plugging into the other wall plug because where it's connected right now is a dedicated line from the panel. Only my Pfsense box and computer are connected to it so I have to daisy-chain. The speaker, monitor, etc. are connected to another line.
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg (105.86 KiB) Viewed 2567 times

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 16 Feb 2023, 07:31

I've been testing these greenfilters for about two weeks.
I think it makes an improvement. And I have that EMI Meter you're using too.

I felt the best results, in my opinion, when I:
plugged the monitor, modem, and router into a separate circuit from the PC with two greenfilters. This circuit was not contaminated by the PC and gave a reading of 15mV.

The PC with two green filters in another circuit. This resulted in a value of 120mV.

Being an electrical engineer, I can say that there are other factors that certainly do not improve these greenfilters.
A before/after measurement with an oscilloscope would be best.
With the oscilloscope you could determine what the greenfilter actually does, what parameter this EMI Meter actually measures and determine all other disruptive factors and initiate the appropriate countermeasures in order to then determine during play whether it has brought an improvement or not.

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to measure the socket directly with an oscilloscope, since the measurement setup could already eliminate the interference.
But we are on the right track.
Maybe I can borrow an oscilloscope from work. We will see.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 16 Feb 2023, 11:18

[email protected] wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 07:31

plugged the monitor, modem, and router into a separate circuit from the PC with two greenfilters. This circuit was not contaminated by the PC and gave a reading of 15mV.

The PC with two green filters in another circuit. This resulted in a value of 120mV.

Being an electrical engineer, I can say that there are other factors that certainly do not improve these greenfilters.
With the oscilloscope you could determine what the greenfilter actually does, what parameter this EMI Meter actually measures and determine all other disruptive factors and initiate the appropriate countermeasures in order to then determine during play whether it has brought an improvement or not.

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to measure the socket directly with an oscilloscope, since the measurement setup could already eliminate the interference.
Thanks for your input and would be great if you can get the readings from an oscilloscope while the filter is on so we might know what to do next

Today things are still feeling good on my pc, I ordered the Furman PST-8D to combine with the filter, should be here by tomorrow

adelsa123

Post by adelsa123 » 16 Feb 2023, 23:35

KingAzar wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 11:18
[email protected] wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 07:31

Thanks for your input and would be great if you can get the readings from an oscilloscope while the filter is on so we might know what to do next

Today things are still feeling good on my pc, I ordered the Furman PST-8D to combine with the filter, should be here by tomorrow
can u try also votage regulator to prevent voltage spike ! with the filters also

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 17 Feb 2023, 00:28

Which one would you recommend?

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 17 Feb 2023, 01:25

KingAzar wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 02:48
Thank you,

It doesn't work great by plugging into the other wall plug because where it's connected right now is a dedicated line from the panel. Only my Pfsense box and computer are connected to it so I have to daisy-chain. The speaker, monitor, etc. are connected to another line.

IMG_1163.jpg
As a rule of thumb, you should always connect your monitor and PC to the same outlet, just to avoid ground loops. your monitor's power brick "or built in power supply" also has a ground pin, both your monitor and PC are connected via either a DP Cable or an HDMI one, and both of those cable carry their respective ground to the other end of that connection and vice versa. And unless your speakers are connected via bluetooth to your PC, then they also need to be on the same outlet since audio cables or USBs also carry the ground signal.

So in general, just try having grounded electronics that are interconnected between each other on the same outlet.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini