Offgrid tests - its electricity... (No, its not!)

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
triplese

Offgrid tests - its electricity... (No, its not!)

Post by triplese » 25 Jan 2023, 18:39

Today I was playing on my laptop with plugged charger and while scrolling shop I saw tearing on LCD.
I disconnected charger - tearing disappeared. Connected - tearing. :?
Video here: https://imgur.com/a/kqEAJ6F

UPD: Looks like tearing not related to location, or I got two places with bad electricity

Then I tried offgrid test - powerbank with 12v output connected to router (fiber uplink) and play via wifi with disconnected charger on laptop.
Results is great - no desync at all.
So probably, I have first strong evidence that I have problems definitely with electricity.
Then I played few cs wingman on PC on grid and router offgrid.
Results are still better then on grid - little-to no desync, but slow movement is still here.
Tomorrow I will go to office to make same tearing test and then maybe will try to find fluke analyzer (but it cost around $1000) to compare electricity parameters or try to buy transformer.

UPD: isolation transformer bought, doesnt fix problem
Last edited by triplese on 13 Feb 2023, 16:33, edited 3 times in total.

assombrosso

Re: Offgrid tests - its electricity...

Post by assombrosso » 25 Jan 2023, 19:07

It’s electricity and RFI imo, in your case I think you have both. Solution is solar panel system and steel case that is protected very well from harmful radiation

delve

Post by delve » 25 Jan 2023, 23:13

good observations, I have heavy desync problems and also know already I have electricity problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if these two are connected. I hope I will get my power station next week, I will test and share my experience here.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 26 Jan 2023, 02:48

triplese wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2023, 18:39
Today I was playing on my laptop with plugged charger and while scrolling shop I saw tearing on LCD.
Then I tried offgrid test - powerbank with 12v output connected to router (fiber uplink) and play via wifi with disconnected charger on laptop.
So probably, I have first strong evidence that I have problems definitely with electricity.
Results are still better then on grid - little-to no desync, but slow movement is still here.
Tomorrow I will go to office to make same tearing test and then maybe will try to find fluke analyzer (but it cost around $1000) to compare electricity parameters or try to buy transformer.
God damnit. I don't know where to put the freaking solar panels lol! I wish I had the right kind of background knowledge to know what exactly is wrong with electricity that is causing this. Dear lord, everything that comes your laptops power supply is purely DC current it's not even what you find on your main AC line. What on earth is making it through that conversion!
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 26 Jan 2023, 03:04

That screen tearing behavior is what I've actually had and still do have. My friend also has it really bad. It's related to electricity i can tell you that. It simply confirms what I already believed. I'd love to get in contact with you and have a chat. RealJerryXOC#7693

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 26 Jan 2023, 03:25

I have same tearing effect

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2023, 03:27

Eonds wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2023, 03:04
That screen tearing behavior is what I've actually had and still do have. My friend also has it really bad. It's related to electricity i can tell you that. It simply confirms what I already believed. I'd love to get in contact with you and have a chat. RealJerryXOC#7693
Chiming in to correct a line-item myth.

VSYNC tearing is never directly caused by electricity, it's just a cause-and-effect, a domino effect.

- The power management plan configuration settings can change sync settings (driver power management bugs, etc)
- Another common cause is the automatic switch from Intel GPU to NVIDIA/AMD GPU, because many laptops have two GPUs. The different GPUs in the system may have different sync technology behaviors, and the act of GPU switching may not be 100% seamless and may have bugs.
- In some sync technologies, VSYNC OFF may be dynamic. (Like framerates above Hz on VRR, or as an automatic behavior in non-VRR "Adaptive VSYNC"), and battery power can have lower framerates that don't show tearing, while AC power can have higher frame rates that do show tearing because the extra power generated more frames that simply triggered an enable of VSYNC OFF behavior.
- Conversely, sometimes laptop are currently preconfigured by OEM's to switch refresh rates when unplugged, e.g. lower refresh rate when unplugged and when not running a game. The current refresh rate of the screen can influence whether or not tearing appears or not.
- In certain setting screens, laptop software are designed to remember settings when plugged in versus when unplugged, so settings that you configured plugged may not be utilized unplugged, and vice-versa. This can, sometimes, include sync technology setting (VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF), even for non-game software too.
- Etc.

It just take ONE of the above to explain things, so you don't need to have all the above, for tearing to appear.

This SPECIFIC tearing symptom also happens with perfectly clean electricity too.
So it's definitely not evidence it's from bad electricity.

So just a coincidential cause-and-effect;

However, other side effects from mediocre electricity technicals can still happen (e.g. desync and whatnot), but often it's a soup of multiple causes and problems happening concurrently by coincidence. The other symptoms may or may not be caused by less-than-ideal electricity (waveforms, noise, voltages, other behaviors) -- but the tearing portion of all the symptoms is never directly caused by the electricity.

Yes, desync and tearing can happen at the same time, but multiple things are simply happening at the same time (interference triggering desync, while power management software triggering VSYNC tearing). Desync can be caused by the electrical interference, but the tearing often still happens even when suddenly plugging into perfect interference-free electricity.

Be careful about confusing multiple coincidential causes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 26 Jan 2023, 03:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2023, 03:27
Eonds wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2023, 03:04
Chiming in to correct a line-item myth.

VSYNC tearing is never directly caused by electricity, it's just a cause-and-effect, a domino effect.

- The power management plan configuration settings can change sync settings (driver power management bugs, etc)
- Another common cause is the automatic switch from Intel GPU to NVIDIA/AMD GPU, because many laptops have two GPUs. The different GPUs in the system may have different sync technology behaviors, and the act of GPU switching may not be 100% seamless and may have bugs.
- In some sync technologies, VSYNC OFF may be dynamic. (Like framerates above Hz on VRR, or as an automatic behavior in non-VRR "Adaptive VSYNC"), and battery power can have lower framerates that don't show tearing, while AC power can have higher frame rates that do show tearing because the extra power generated more frames that simply triggered an enable of VSYNC OFF behavior.
- Conversely, sometimes laptop are currently preconfigured by OEM's to switch refresh rates when unplugged, e.g. lower refresh rate when unplugged and when not running a game. The current refresh rate of the screen can influence whether or not tearing appears or not.
- In certain setting screens, laptop software are designed to remember settings when plugged in versus when unplugged, so settings that you configured plugged may not be utilized unplugged, and vice-versa. This can, sometimes, include sync technology setting (VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF), even for non-game software too.
- Etc.

It just take ONE of the above to explain things, so you don't need to have all the above, for tearing to appear.

This SPECIFIC tearing symptom also happens with perfectly clean electricity too.
So it's definitely not evidence it's from bad electricity.

So just a coincidential cause-and-effect;

However, other side effects from mediocre electricity technicals can still happen (e.g. desync and whatnot), but often it's a soup of multiple causes and problems happening concurrently by coincidence. The other symptoms may or may not be caused by less-than-ideal electricity (waveforms, noise, voltages, other behaviors) -- but the tearing portion of all the symptoms is never directly caused by the electricity.

Yes, desync and tearing can happen at the same time, but multiple things are simply happening at the same time (interference triggering desync, while power management software triggering VSYNC tearing). Desync can be caused by the electrical interference, but the tearing often still happens even when suddenly plugging into perfect interference-free electricity.

Be careful about confusing multiple coincidential causes.
Don't worry I'm not confused. I'm well educated when it comes to tuning systems for high performance. Although I entirely agree and understand what you're saying but I'm confident that my friends & I experience this specific behavior and a few others distinct ones. This screen tearing behavior will still occur with v-sync, on desktop & more. I think it's wise to test both (talking to whoever might read this in the future). I will end with saying this screen tearing with literally 0 power savings, maximum tuned system, with every single parameter checked with V-sync on, with a desktop computer has screen tearing. I'm not saying bad electricity = screen tearing but fixing that specific problem that is coming from the AC may or may not resolve it in our case.

triplese

Post by triplese » 26 Jan 2023, 04:43

assombrosso wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2023, 19:07
It’s electricity and RFI imo, in your case I think you have both. Solution is solar panel system and steel case that is protected very well from harmful radiation
I'm sitting at same table with same devices. Only changing in my setup is connecting or disconnecting from socket. So RFI not the case (probably)

triplese

Post by triplese » 26 Jan 2023, 04:48

Thatweirdinputlag wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2023, 02:48
God damnit. I don't know where to put the freaking solar panels lol! I wish I had the right kind of background knowledge to know what exactly is wrong with electricity that is causing this. Dear lord, everything that comes your laptops power supply is purely DC current it's not even what you find on your main AC line. What on earth is making it through that conversion!
Yes, its 20V DC. However, we clearly see that something is wrong while connecting charger...
I started observing this on my main 240hz monitor few years ago - its lost its fluidity and smooth movement. Some people said that its in my head. Now I have proper empirical proofs that is not :D