diy build custom PC case steel iron

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
f1ndus

diy build custom PC case steel iron

Post by f1ndus » 29 Jan 2023, 06:19

Hello all, soon i will buy again completly new PC setup. I am thinking about to make custom PC case with thick iron.
it doesn't have to be just PC case only for components, but it can be iron BOX where the PC can put in.

This idea i have a long time in my head, i am welder so it will be easy to create something like that.

I just need help from someone from IT to make some plan how should it look like, including temps, cooling [ some small holes? ] ofcourse with maximum shielding EMI/RFI.

I would be happy if someone post here some basic plan or some ideas, i will be inform about the progress

InputLagger

Re: diy build custom PC case steel iron

Post by InputLagger » 29 Jan 2023, 13:18

Case must be like Faraday cage with proper grounding. For a best components cooling, you can just Google regular cases (with best cooling rating score) photos and get some ideas from them.

This is just my thoughts, I'm not electrician or manufacturer

Wish you best luck 🍀

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 29 Jan 2023, 14:04

InputLagger wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 13:18
Case must be like Faraday cage with proper grounding. For a best components cooling, you can just Google regular cases (with best cooling rating score) photos and get some ideas from them.

Wish you best luck 🍀
i thought faraday cage is working without grounding too, i mean i need drill some holes to this thick metal box for cooling pc inside, but im not sure if it will destroy shield effect or something, or how big the holes can be

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 29 Jan 2023, 15:10

f1ndus wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 14:04
InputLagger wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 13:18

Wish you best luck 🍀
i thought faraday cage is working without grounding too, i mean i need drill some holes to this thick metal box for cooling pc inside, but im not sure if it will destroy shield effect or something, or how big the holes can be
By functionality yes, it will still operate as a faraday cage even without grounding, but whatever charge it's absorbing needs to go somewhere or it'll stay on its surface. Unless you feel like zapping yourself every now and then to release its charge, I suggest you dig some hold in it for the PSU to be correctly mounted so the PSU's ground will be linked to the case.

Now if I had to guess, doesn't the farage cage work in bothways? i.e. whatever is emitted from your PC will either keep bouncing around inside that case or taken away by the PSU's ground path.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

timecard

Post by timecard » 29 Jan 2023, 15:41

One thing you're probably not considering is your mouse/keyboard/monitor vs just protecting your motherboard and components. You'll literally need a faraday ROOM.

YouTube Channel - LearnEMC : Low-Frequency Magnetic Field Shielding Demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZLu8v3tTfY

YouTube Channel - LearnEMC : High-Frequency Magnetic Field Shielding Demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zq6qiuuINE
Shielding - Case Measurement - Rosewill RSV-R4100.png
Shielding - Case Measurement - Rosewill RSV-R4100.png (44.71 KiB) Viewed 2296 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2023, 18:43

timecard wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 15:41
YouTube Channel - LearnEMC : Low-Frequency Magnetic Field Shielding Demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZLu8v3tTfY

YouTube Channel - LearnEMC : High-Frequency Magnetic Field Shielding Demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zq6qiuuINE
I like seeing these kinds of graphs in this forums. More of these please.

Good rackmount computer cases are often intentionally designed to be Faraday Cages to be steel on all 4 sides, because of the high interference regime of a server farm. Many server farms have extremely high cost power conditioning to get really clean electricity, but adjacent equipment can interference into each other, and so a modicum of shielding.

Now that being said, while there's little study on thick shielding on home computers, I am interested in seeing actual use cases, such as living under power transmission lines, or living in a tower containing lots of old equipment excessively near your computer (e.g. old sparking motor brushes in old equipment in a mechanical floor above you in your apartment building). Such thick shielding can play a good role, but don't forget your wire hygiene (e.g. Ethernet cables, mouse cables, etc).

In other words, if you need that much shielding for your computer (I would not be surprised, however, if least 0.001%+ of the world's homes definitely could benefit from this shielding -- it's not zero, but it's a bit extreme) -- then you definitely need to consider going wireless. Wireless keyboard, wireless mouse.

USB cables, especially poorly shielded ones, behave like antennas.

With inteference strong enough to need such thick metal shielding on a computer -- will also overcome the cheap shielding on mouse wires. Interference strong enough to overcome the signal, can create mouse lag/jitter from the USB error correction, if packets start dropping randomly on the USB cable due to extremely strong EMF's. This is a rare situation in the USA though where there are laws preventing building of houses too close to high voltage power transmission towers, but more common when laws on electricity grid are more lax and there's almost enough radiation of various kinds to almost compete with an outer space environment (not quite, but you get the idea of how unlucky some poor sap's are -- Not all countries are fairly clean of computer-affecting EMI/EMFs).

So woe is you if you shielded your computer but have a bunch of wires going out of it. You might as well just have a fiber optic line going into your computer tower (This is actually an option costing under $100 with an in-computer Media Converter device), and a power wire from, say, an offgrid lithium battery. Then you've got no metal touching your grid, and no metal acting as antennas between your controllers (keyboard/mouse) and the computer itself.

Just covering the obvious University Ph.D stuff that many NVIDIA engineers and tight-nanometer chip designers already knows.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 30 Jan 2023, 23:39

I may be wrong, but isn’t there a special type of paint that could be used as opposed to faraday’ing a whole room?

Also not sure on potential hazard to health, but if all good would be a cheaper alternative I imagine.