i want to test solar panels

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
unfixable input lag

i want to test solar panels

Post by unfixable input lag » 01 Feb 2023, 11:34

Can any one confirm that going off grid ( solar panels) fix this insane issue completely?
if so am gonna buy literally everything new including cables + removing the internet from my house completely just to be sure even tho new pc without me connecting it to the internet the issue also appeared yeah the usual symptoms at day pc is crap slow heavy mouse like 10kg at nights around 3am its very fast mouse also becomes way less heavy but not perfect
i have this crap even in my phone PS4 laptop am going insane :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: i want to test solar panels

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2023, 04:05

There are good/bad systems. Quality inverters is key.

Kinda overkill, IMHO. Cheaper to just "try out" offgrid with just a simple power station instead, at least as a test.

Costs only $1K-ish for a lithium battery capable of powering an RTX 4090 rig for a few-ish hours. Recharge your power station (e.g. Jackery 1000 Power Station or similar cheap clone) off your existing power outlets, then offgrid your computer in a corner or room far away from high power devices (e.g. dryer machines, heaters, air conditioners).

if you do this, find a way to avoid any metal wires touching your PC from elsewhere, e.g. replace Ethernet with fiber optic (use a media converters). Completely standalone-powered computer that way. You can even try to run your Internet router off a completely separate power station (to avoid any shared metal between the router and the computer). You can even temporarily cut your house power, while doing this, as part of your interference-troubleshooting journey.

And don't forget some interference is over-the-air, some intense interference fields in poorly-regulated countries, is enough to cause packet loss on USB cables (=mouse lag/mouse jitter even when offline) so test out wireless gaming keyboard / wireless gaming mice to prevent the antenna-factor of your USB cables.

And again, no guarantees. You'll probably still have problems even if you do this, although some have solved their interference-derived latency problems via power station offgriding technique.

Be careful not to be pulled down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. This sort of stuff is normally never necessary in Canada, where the electricity quality is usually fairly good, and not too many "ultra-nearby" inteference sources like thousands of nearby half-centry-old electric motors in old appliances in a dense apartment tower sitting 5 meters from high voltage power transmission lines (etc, etc) creating an interference regime that most manufacturers never beta test for.

Troubleshooting is a lot of wasted time, sometimes if you have the money, just easiest to quickly test the offgrid with a mass-market power station. The same power station (kilowatt-class lunchbox lithium battery with a handle) is useful when you go camping or when there's blackout, so it's not just for your computer.

Jackery 250 for router - about $300
Jackery 1000 for gaming rig - about $1K
Optical/Ethernet media converters, and optical fiber for between router and gaming rig - about $50-100 for a pair plus the fiber (OC3)
Don't use Ethernet cable, that's metal that may pull interference from power outlets or over-the-air
Wireless gaming accessories - optional

Then you can test-game on your RTX card with your main circuit breaker turned off, eliminating all external electricity inteference, in a much cheaper test than solar. It's expensive, but a much cheaper test than solar. If it works, then certainly try solar later (but pony up for a good ultra-low-noise inverter, the very clean type they use for commercial data centres). Remember, interference can come from other sources being powered in the house (e.g. some crappy generic LED bulbs / crappy smarthome bulbs inject terrible interference into the electricity wires, as a mudane example). So you might see a situation where flipping the main breaker off is required. Then you already know offgriding may not be the solution, but that the power station helped you diagnose that it was coming from somewhere in the house -- whether it's an old appliance or some pretty crappy device injecting interference into the system.

And if it doesn't work, you've got great equipment that you can use for camping or an outdoor home theater, or such, etc.

Sorry about opening a rabbit hole, but it's a smaller rabbit hole than solar.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 02 Feb 2023, 08:16

Do exactly what above πŸ‘† person said, but if you want to take it to the next level, I would suggest taking your pc and monitor and power station to somewhere without any houses close without any satellites no electricity wires , maybe in the wild/desert depending on your county and play offline csgo or online with your mobile broadband , this should eliminate any external EMI or RFI that might affect the system so if lag occurs you would know it’s your pc and/or you causing this lag (yes it could be you according to my theory ) , if it’s gone, you gona have a great news to tell us :)))

JTerry7

Post by JTerry7 » 02 Feb 2023, 13:23

No. I have a Steam Deck there is absolutely no difference. This has been repeated for several years now do some research.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2023, 19:08

JTerry7 wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2023, 13:23
No. I have a Steam Deck there is absolutely no difference.
Fair goal. I already say that it probably makes absolutely no difference. But if you were part of a field study, you are only one datapoint in a deep research session.
JTerry7 wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2023, 13:23
This has been repeated for several years now do some research.
That's an equivalent of a sports foul here. I am in 25 peer reviewed research papers so I am not part of your "handwaving culture" so stop it. I think my word vastly outweigh yours.

Please read You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply, as a forum rule, and acknowledge that before your Lag-Forum Reply priveleges are restored.

It's clear you didn't read the sentence that discourages terseness + discourages the handwaveism you just did. It's fine to say the phrase if it's accompanied by a bunch of ACM DOI links and a bunch of diagrams and or even other vetted community research. To illustrate the illogicalness of only counting only personal experience being gospel for others (another forum no-no), even if 99+ times out of 100 they are right, there's already 1 out of 100 times that what I said actually worked for some, at least in some locales. Blur Busters is that website that focuses on that "1 in 100" flukes, during the refresh rate race to retina refresh rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!