Pc lag changes after playing with headphones Jack

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
assombrosso

Pc lag changes after playing with headphones Jack

Post by assombrosso » 04 Feb 2023, 03:21

Yes, this is a follow up thread to a thread I made before about lag in csgo and how it reduces (even the smoothness of videos improves ) once I half pull the headphone Jack from my mobo. What I recently noticed is that after pulling it out, there is an improvement that quickly starts to diminish and it’s back again once I insert the Jack and then pull out either completely out or half out. The constant pulling the Jack in and out from mobo make mouse faster and smoothness better. If you use a non usb headphone where you have to insert headphone Jack into mobo, try it and report to me. Now why the hell does this happen? Is it possible that mobo is not grounded to the pc well that the in and out of Jack causes build of static electricity to dissipate from mobo or is it something more sinister?

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: Pc lag changes after playing with headphones Jack

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 04 Feb 2023, 06:31

assombrosso wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 03:21
Yes, this is a follow up thread to a thread I made before about lag in csgo and how it reduces (even the smoothness of videos improves ) once I half pull the headphone Jack from my mobo. What I recently noticed is that after pulling it out, there is an improvement that quickly starts to diminish and it’s back again once I insert the Jack and then pull out either completely out or half out. The constant pulling the Jack in and out from mobo make mouse faster and smoothness better. If you use a non usb headphone where you have to insert headphone Jack into mobo, try it and report to me. Now why the hell does this happen? Is it possible that mobo is not grounded to the pc well that the in and out of Jack causes build of static electricity to dissipate from mobo or is it something more sinister?
Hey, I did try the same thing btw, referring to your older post. Sadly, I did not manage to feel any difference, the sound was just muffled and bad when I hook half of the jack in.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 04 Feb 2023, 12:55

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 06:31
assombrosso wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 03:21
Hey, I did try the same thing btw, referring to your older post. Sadly, I did not manage to feel any difference, the sound was just muffled and bad when I hook half of the jack in.
Interesting, I’m afraid a huge part of my lag is caused by either the pc it self /of case or headphones. Because it does make a noticeable difference everytime I try it.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 05 Feb 2023, 02:13

Did nothing for me.

However, regarding audio jacks and my PC, I've been trying to learn more about & test the differences between the front panel audio jack and the mobo's back panel one.

Some things I've learned recently:

1. My front panel jack is a combined port with both input/output on 1 jack, while the back one is strictly output only (the mic input is a separate port). I noticed that even with my headset's mic's physical mute button turned on, it is still picking up sound input in Windows (Windows shows sounds being picked up). Disabling the mic seems to give me a better experience in terms of input lag, stuttering.

2. Additionally, installing the audio drivers (Realtek from ASUS) definitely gives an overall smoother experience (on both Windows 10/11) compared to the generic Microsoft audio drivers that came with the OS. I just gave in and let ASUS download whatever extra software components it wanted to pair with their audio driver (usually prefer minimal installations), but to my suprise, things seem overall smoother with all that junk added :P

3. Only the front panel port is being detected as "headphones" on my build. I've read in a lot of places that the front panel ports are more prone to interference since the case audio wire is usually not properly shielded and is usually routed across the whole case to get to the mobo. But, others say that headphones have to go into the front panel port, since it's usually "tuned" more towards driving headphones. Personally, the front panel port gives me less issues (overall smoother PC experience) compared to the back port for any of my headphones.

My setup:
  • Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
  • ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Motherboard
  • tried few different headsets + headphones, currently using Razer Blackshark V2