I Think I Found A Fix (Maybe)

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Fishie

I Think I Found A Fix (Maybe)

Post by Fishie » 03 Aug 2023, 15:11

Notes:
  • It's only been a couple of days, The problem may come back.
  • This might not work for you because you may have an improper grounding in your house.
  • I'm dumb.
So, I've had this floaty input issue since 2020 when I first bought my 240hz monitor. Well, probably easier to notice because of this monitor. Mouse feels inconsistently delayed. Mouse doesn't stop where I want it to. Making any software or hardware changes temporarily fixes the issue sometimes.

Recently, I was browsing YouTube and I stumbled across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esauzfuDiQ

At first, it was very promising, but then I read the comments of people saying that this is BS, and my hopes went down. But I tried it anyway.

So first things first, I got my multimeter, put it in the uh, the resistance mode or whatever. and started measuring my motherboard screws to one of my PSU screws at the back of my case.

I noticed that my meter was showing that there was no resistance between those two points. I also checked my GPU screw, there was nothing. So, I got hopeful and took out my motherboard.

Now I did the same thing with my standoffs, and I saw a reading, which means they were properly grounded. All of my screws are black painted, which means that they will not ground anything.

So, I replaced all the screws with my old PC which seemed to be metal. But then, I got thinking. My motherboard also has grounding points all around the standoffs underneeth, so, my hopes went down even more, but I tried it anyway.

I also replaced the GPU mounting screw (Which I feel may have fixed the problem)

The video also showed to use single channel memory instead of dual channel, I did that as well.

I also took out my CMOS battery while I was doing all of this. After All that, I put my CMOS battery back in, and booted up my PC.

Of course, as I made a hardware change, it felt smooth. So, I left it and played for 1-2 days and got hopeful. It still felt smooth and consistent, BUT, still I could feel latency. The floaty feeling was gone though.

So, I tried moving back to dual-channel memory and WOW. I have never felt my games run THIS smoothly. This feels smoother than it used to with those temporary fixes.

The video also showed him messing with MSI mode, but I chose not to make any software changes. I want to fix this problem without making any kind of software changes. Because all of that is just BS.

I know that the motherboard and the GPU are grounded internally using the wires, but more grounding can be better, riight? I dont know :cry:

Now, of course, it's only been four days, and the problem could come back. I'll keep you guys updated.
Programmer, Gamer, Discord: cat.noir

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: I Think I Found A Fix (Maybe)

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 Aug 2023, 16:14

Fishie wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2023, 15:11
I'll keep you guys updated.
Would be nice. Thank you for sharing :)!

+Also, if i'm not mistaken, the guy who made the video is one of the community members here. Maybe he can add some input into this, or share with us whether the problem has returned for him or not.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Lucho

Post by Lucho » 05 Aug 2023, 19:57

Tried it doesn't work :(

loccomacco

Post by loccomacco » 06 Aug 2023, 22:36

Notes:
  • This might not work for you because you may have an improper grounding in your house.
  • I'm dumb.
So, I've had this floaty input issue since 2020 when I first bought my 240hz monitor. Well, probably easier to notice because of this monitor. Mouse feels inconsistently delayed. Mouse doesn't stop where I want it to. Making any software or hardware changes temporarily fixes the issue sometimes.

Recently, I was browsing YouTube and I stumbled across this video:

At first, it was very promising, but then I read the comments of people saying that this is BS, and my hopes went down. But I tried it anyway.

So first things first, I got my multimeter, put it in the uh, the resistance mode or whatever. and started measuring my motherboard screws to one of my PSU screws at the back of my case.

I noticed that my meter was showing that there was no resistance between those two points. I also checked my GPU screw, there was nothing. So, I got hopeful and took out my motherboard.

Now I did the same thing with my standoffs, and I saw a reading, which means they were properly grounded. All of my screws are black painted, which means that they will not ground anything.

So, I replaced all the screws with my old PC which seemed to be metal. But then, I got thinking. My motherboard also has grounding points all around the standoffs underneeth, so, my hopes went down even more, but I tried it anyway.

I also replaced the GPU mounting screw (Which I feel may have fixed the problem)

The video also showed to use single channel memory instead of dual channel, I did that as well.

I also took out my CMOS battery while I was doing all of this. After All that, I put my CMOS battery back in, and booted up my PC.

Of course, as I made a hardware change, it felt smooth. So, I left it and played for 1-2 days and got hopeful. It still felt smooth and consistent, BUT, still I could feel latency. The floaty feeling was gone though.

So, I tried moving back to dual-channel memory and WOW. I have never felt my games run THIS smoothly. This feels smoother than it used to with those temporary fixes.

The video also showed him messing with MSI mode, but I chose not to make any software changes. I want to fix this problem without making any kind of software changes. Because all of that is just BS.

I know that the motherboard and the GPU are grounded internally using the wires, but more grounding can be better, riight? I dont know :cry:

Now, of course, it's only been four days, and the problem could come back. I'll keep you guys updated.
Ahh maaan, why I still cannot have links from other sites? every time I reply to a post that have a link, I have to remove the link. Others have accessibility but I haven't? Whatever, doesn't matter.

I wanted to hibernate for a while, but just saw your thread and I thought it worths to have a reply just for event logging.
I won't fall into these kinds of things anymore, because I have a set of questions that if one probable fix can not be able to answer all of them, it just means that possible fix won't stay, or at least some of symptoms will show up again.
And for this, one of the most important one that it doesn't have an answer to it is: why with the same components, with the same so called screws, with the same so called ungrounded case, we still have some specific times of the day without any inputlag? And that specific time, mostly follows a pattern, but still we have other times that doesn't even follow that pattern and we face a noticably lower amount of inputlag even at times that we know we mostly have lots of inputlags.
So it doesn't have an answer to that, therefore it cannot be a solution to fix everything, specifically in long term.

And yeah, he had a post in this forum a few weeks ago, his name is winkli, same as his name in YouTube.
He first had a comment about it on this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=94994#p94994

But his own post about the screw thing, idk why but is in offtopic lounge, the root of EMI section, here it is:
viewtopic.php?p=95188#p95188

Actually you haven't found a fix, he himself had a post talking about the same thing, but he is not so much active, hopefully you will to keep us updated.

Anyways, thank you for sharing.

I think now I should hibernate like for real for real so 😚😚 😴

amorou

Post by amorou » 07 Aug 2023, 12:38

loccomacco wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2023, 22:36
Notes:
  • I'm dumb.

Recently, I was browsing YouTube and I stumbled across this video:

Ahh maaan, why I still cannot have links from other sites? every time I reply to a post that have a link, I have to remove the link. Others have accessibility but I haven't? Whatever, doesn't matter.

I wanted to hibernate for a while, but just saw your thread and I thought it worths to have a reply just for event logging.
I won't fall into these kinds of things anymore, because I have a set of questions that if one probable fix can not be able to answer all of them, it just means that possible fix won't stay, or at least some of symptoms will show up again.
And for this, one of the most important one that it doesn't have an answer to it is: why with the same components, with the same so called screws, with the same so called ungrounded case, we still have some specific times of the day without any inputlag? And that specific time, mostly follows a pattern, but still we have other times that doesn't even follow that pattern and we face a noticably lower amount of inputlag even at times that we know we mostly have lots of inputlags.
So it doesn't have an answer to that, therefore it cannot be a solution to fix everything, specifically in long term.

And yeah, he had a post in this forum a few weeks ago, his name is winkli, same as his name in YouTube.
He first had a comment about it on this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=94994#p94994

But his own post about the screw thing, idk why but is in offtopic lounge, the root of EMI section, here it is:
viewtopic.php?p=95188#p95188

Actually you haven't found a fix, he himself had a post talking about the same thing, but he is not so much active, hopefully you will to keep us updated.

Anyways, thank you for sharing.

I think now I should hibernate like for real for real so 😚😚 😴
I wish I have it like "during the day" mine is like 2 weeks full of shit , and 1 day good

Fishie

Post by Fishie » 08 Aug 2023, 02:19

It has been over a week now, I still cannot feel the floaty feeling. Mouse feels accurate when making slow or fast movements. I honestly don't even wanna touch my pc, because I don't want it to get ruined again xd

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 08 Aug 2023, 10:56

08 Aug 2023, 02:19
It has been over a week now, I still cannot feel the floaty feeling. Mouse feels accurate when making slow or fast movements. I honestly don't even wanna touch my pc, because I don't want it to get ruined again xd
Understandable lol! Keep us posted though. Thanks
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

pcenthusiast92

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 09 Aug 2023, 10:22

Can you do a small video of how to properly use the multimeter to do the test?

here in Venezuela we don't have a real ground, so yeah i'm curious to try this.

BigBoi

Post by BigBoi » 12 Aug 2023, 14:27

If i understand, when you measure resistance between two grounding points, the readings should be less than 1 correct
Notes:
  • I'm dumb.

Recently, I was browsing YouTube and I stumbled across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esauzfuDiQ

If i understand, when you measure resistance between two grounding points, the readings should be less than 1 correct? What readings were you getting?

Fishie

Post by Fishie » 12 Aug 2023, 14:30

Yea, so, you first short the 2 probes together to get the reading. That is the value your aiming for. It doesn't need to be exact.