The extent of the issue and experiments related to electricity

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
schandras

The extent of the issue and experiments related to electricity

Post by schandras » 10 Sep 2023, 11:49

Firstly thanks to the admins for creating this forum.

Like others have stated my issue is also with floaty mouse that makes tracking hard and flicking next to impossible, enemies pre firing all the time. I'd like to expand that the issue effects the keyboard as well and probably all input peripherals and not just limited to games. I have done tests on monkeytype and I cannot seem to be able to get above 80 wpm, with any consistency, It's like I can type faster, but if I do the words either don't register or come out scrambled, it's very frustrating. I feel like I have to wait for the words to appear on the screen correctly before I can continue.

I have also had this issue completely disappear out of the blue moon, where I can beam enemies, perform movements in Apex like a pro, do 180 flicks. so I have a clear understanding of the baseline I am chasing. In apex legends this issue is so pervasive
my sliding, jumping, running timing seems to be completely dogshit.

I have changed my entire setup from a Gtx 1650 + Ryzen 5 gaming laptop to RTX 3060ti + intel i5 13500, along with completely replacing my peripherals. The problem didn't change in any way. So I'm convinced that the problem doesn't lie in hardware or software.

I have a background on EE and I am a software Dev. It just doesn't make sense to me why this is happening, I mean yeah I understand how ECC can cause delay and even rate limiting. The power signal is filtered through multiple filters and whatever transient noise or ripple is there should be negligible. Unless it's the earthing from where the noise is originating, I believe there's no filter present there.

Anyways just today I have called an electrician to check on this, he found nothing amiss. However I wanted to try something, I told him to completely disconnect the earthing from the house. I had already checked with removing earthing only at the PC plug(no difference). I Immediately checked my PC before and after that and there was a very clear difference, I told him to let me keep it this way for two days for me to do further tests. I thought that the issue was completely solved, it wasn't, but it also didn't revert back to the original state. I'd say it's 60% solved. The earth is still connected to the neutral at the main panel.

The earthing rod for my house is buried almost adjacent to a utility pole(which is a also grounded at same spot), I am suspecting this is a problem. I will do some more tests and am considering relocating the rod to a more isolated area behind the house.

In conclusion despite all odds there is clear correlation between this issue and electricity, at least for me.

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: The extent of the issue and experiments related to electricity

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 11 Sep 2023, 17:27

schandras wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 11:49
Firstly thanks to the admins for creating this forum.

Like others have stated my issue is also with floaty mouse that makes tracking hard and flicking next to impossible, enemies pre firing all the time. I'd like to expand that the issue effects the keyboard as well and probably all input peripherals and not just limited to games. I have done tests on monkeytype and I cannot seem to be able to get above 80 wpm, with any consistency, It's like I can type faster, but if I do the words either don't register or come out scrambled, it's very frustrating. I feel like I have to wait for the words to appear on the screen correctly before I can continue.

I have also had this issue completely disappear out of the blue moon, where I can beam enemies, perform movements in Apex like a pro, do 180 flicks. so I have a clear understanding of the baseline I am chasing. In apex legends this issue is so pervasive
my sliding, jumping, running timing seems to be completely dogshit.

I have changed my entire setup from a Gtx 1650 + Ryzen 5 gaming laptop to RTX 3060ti + intel i5 13500, along with completely replacing my peripherals. The problem didn't change in any way. So I'm convinced that the problem doesn't lie in hardware or software.

I have a background on EE and I am a software Dev. It just doesn't make sense to me why this is happening, I mean yeah I understand how ECC can cause delay and even rate limiting. The power signal is filtered through multiple filters and whatever transient noise or ripple is there should be negligible. Unless it's the earthing from where the noise is originating, I believe there's no filter present there.

Anyways just today I have called an electrician to check on this, he found nothing amiss. However I wanted to try something, I told him to completely disconnect the earthing from the house. I had already checked with removing earthing only at the PC plug(no difference). I Immediately checked my PC before and after that and there was a very clear difference, I told him to let me keep it this way for two days for me to do further tests. I thought that the issue was completely solved, it wasn't, but it also didn't revert back to the original state. I'd say it's 60% solved. The earth is still connected to the neutral at the main panel.

The earthing rod for my house is buried almost adjacent to a utility pole(which is a also grounded at same spot), I am suspecting this is a problem. I will do some more tests and am considering relocating the rod to a more isolated area behind the house.

In conclusion despite all odds there is clear correlation between this issue and electricity, at least for me.
I'm sorry but why do you have a separate earthing rod with its line bonded to the neutral of the house? A separate earthing rod usually means you have a TT electrical supply system. In this specific system, it's against the code to even bond the earth and neutral at any panel, main or sub. Main reasoning, to avoid having other discharged currents from surrounding areas "neighborhood" to couple into your rod thus providing another return path to the utility supplier "through you electrical system". The lower the impedance of your earth connection is, the higher return path load.

TT systems have their neutral-earth bonding done at the poles. You can even go outside and check how it's done, it's easy to spot the bonding. If you can contact your electrician again, make sure to ask him/her about this. My memory is a bit foggy on the subject, but I also do have a TT system where I live, and I specifically remember why earth and neutral are left separate.

TL;DR, Your earth rod should not be carrying stray currents back into your electrical system, it should only be there to discharge whatever your grounded appliances leak.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

delve

Re: The extent of the issue and experiments related to electricity

Post by delve » 13 Sep 2023, 14:37

OP, have you tested the laptop unplugged in battery mode?