The Input Lag I've had for years just got worse...

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
imprecise

Re: The Input Lag I've had for years just got worse...

Post by imprecise » 24 Sep 2023, 19:58

triplese wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 17:42
Bufferbloat can be a problem in ISP environment if they massively overselling bandwidth, but then you will see consistently floating ping in peak hours.
Thanks for agreeing that bufferbloat can be an issue.

amorou

Post by amorou » 25 Sep 2023, 05:47

M0NST3R wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 10:36
Hi all. I've been looking at these forums on here for years but never really decided to sign up until now as I think I've found some sort of information that might be useful to know when it comes to input lag. No this is not a fix, but more like evidence to backup and defend those who may have had similar situations which made their input lag worse.

To start it all off, I've been having input lag for 4-5 years now. It's not the kind of input lag the happens only during gaming (this would usually mean there are some in-game / GPU control panel settings OR just someone who has a low FPS which increases the milliseconds before they see their mouse/keyboard movement on the screen). My input lag has always effected my WHOLE PC experience. The desktop AND whilst playing games.

I am here also to maybe lessen the frustration that you and myself have faced when trying to solve these issues. There are many people out there who love to deny that this input lag problem is real, or they'll TELL YOU that you haven't done everything possible and it's probably just V-SYNC or a crappy mouse...

Things I have tried since I first had my input lag:

- Getting a new GPU
- Getting a new PSU
- Change power cables for the monitor and PSU
- Changing display cables for the monitor. I've tried 2 HDMI and 2 Displayport Cables
- Reinstalling Windows probably over 50 times. This includes difference versions (10 and 11). I've also tried installing them with and without UEFI mode, and testing out MBR and GPT when installing.

- BCDEDIT commands such as disabledynamictick, useplatformclock, useplatformtick. I've switched these around in every way possible and it made no difference to me

- Reinstalling GPU drivers, installing older GPU drivers, letting windows install the GPU driver, installing newest chipset drivers, installing older chipset drivers and letting windows install the chipset drivers.

- Enhance pointer precision mouse option ON and OFF. It obviously feels different but there is still input lag with both options due to the input lag being an UNDERLYING issue with the PC.

- Used 5 difference mice. Changed the polling rates, DPI. Still no difference in feeling. What's laughable is people telling us to use 500hz polling rate when we already have an underlying input lag issue, it just makes it feel even worse.

- Used a different monitor (both were 144hz, different brands and different types of screens (TN, LED)
- MarkC's Mouse Fix
- Bios tweaks (HPET OFF, VCore changes, Ram speed changes, XMP ON/OFF, SMT ON/OFF, AMD Cool and Quiet ON/OFF, HD Audio Controller ON/OFF, Global C-States ON/OFF, Spread Spectrum and much more...)

-Tin Foil around my cables (My father looked at me weirdly as I did this one)

-Using different outlets in same house, moving to a different house and using different outlets at that house, using power extension cords.

- Plugging the USB peripherals into different USB ports.
- Using a different ethernet cable
- Unplugging everything except the mouse
- Windows debloater tool
- Taking components out of the PC and putting them back in
- Disabling other automatic driver stuff windows installs (even though I told windows not to automatically install stuff...) such as audio drivers that I don't need
- Updating the BIOS to every version possible, new and old.
- Resetting CMOS using on-board pins and by removing the battery
- Setting windows visuals to performance instead of beautiful
- Setting the monitor to 60HZ through windows but 144HZ through game settings
- Trying a lower monitor HZ overall
- Unplugging display cable whilst PC is on, and plugging it back in
- Resetting monitor settings (through monitor buttons/menu) whilst playing

Sorry for the long read but I thought I'd list MOST of the stuff I've done to give some background, there are probably a few things I've missed off of there, and if anyone suggests them, I'll be happy to let you know whether I've done it or not! :D

With all of that stuff I've done, I've come to the conclusion that it's not a firmware issue, not a software issue, not an OS issue, but that it could be something interfering with my PC. Whether there's a weakness in my hardware that can't handle ANY amount of electrical interference OR wherever I move there's just too much EMI or electrical issues that NO PC could ever handle, no matter how strong the hardware.

I recently moved to a student acommodation. Before this, I was living back at home. Something I picked up on was that my input lag would be nearly non-existent most nights, in the evenings, but terrible during the day. I lived on a main road with shops around me. I figured the input lag was worse because of the interference from people driving past the house, the electronics in the shops, just more people being around on their devices. At night time, there were less people driving around, less electronics being used/ON around me, and overall just less stuff going on in the area.

Something else to note, I had more space to separate wiring cables where I used to live.

Since I moved to uni, everything just got 100x worse and I didn't think that was possible.

Due to the lack of space at my current desk in my student accomodation, my cables (mouse, keyboard, camera, headphones, monitor, PSU) are all close together and I'm not able to separate them.

I also have a train station/railway station directly below me and some other industrial buildings across the way.

I feel like this info helps (I hope it does) because it seems like, my original issues were caused by busy times of the day on the main road, but they improved in the evening and I had more space to separate all my plugs, wires/cables.

Now I am somewhere, where there is lots of industrial buildings and BIG electrical structures directly outside from where I am, with a desk that offers no space to separate my plugs, wires/cables and my input lag is now not only worse, but constant.

I feel like this allows me to dismiss the idea that the issue is caused by software, firmware, OS and points more towards interference that is effecting my computer and depending on the area and it's surroundings, and the space I have to separate all my plugs and wires, it's making it worse.

I'm lost. I'm sad, I dare to say it but this input lag issue is making me really really down in the dumps lads.

The first time the input lag really hurt me, is when I was back at home in the evening, quiet outside, and my mouse felt completely normal for the first time in a long time, I was able to actually play my games, know that I was making these movements precisely. Not only this, but I played extremely well and after that game, the next day my input lag was back and I went back to not being able to perform as I KNOW I could. That's the real downer here, knowing that you are being limited by some annoying issue that is currently impossible to fix. Knowing you are good at your favourite game when your mouse decides to work properly, but you can only perform well 1% of the time when your input lag suddenly isn't as bad.

Something else to mention. A lot of people who deny this EMI cause, like to blame it on settings on the OS or game settings. I would like to ask them, if it was a setting that caused this issue, why is it that I don't ALWAYS have input lag then? Why is it that it's an issue that fluctuates in not only the frequency of when it happens, but also the severity. I can't think of a single setting that would do that.

VSYNC? Would always give you input lag, only in the game and it would be the same amount of delay in milliseconds
Monitor HZ? Would give you the same amount of input lag, and it would be the same amount of delay in milliseconds

I hope you enjoyed reading everything I've tried and I hope some people feel a bit better knowing that there are others like me who've put up with this annoying stuff for years.

If anyone has any suggestions or sees that I've missed a possible solution, I would be happy and appreciative to hear it.

Many thanks,
M0NST3R
I dont want to discourage you but , get prepare to put effort too much and get no results.

Been experimenting with this for 7-8 years , I mastered soldering xd , once covered all my walls with foil (was fun sight) , renewed my circut by myself , read academic articles , I tried +1000 diffrent things for sure , it became my hobby at this point , now I enjoy sparing time and tought to it.

Yet found no way. All I can suggest you is dont use case fans (or less=better) , or rgb leds vs these crap. Lower amp cpu fan also makes it better.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 01 Oct 2023, 03:41

A lot of people here ignore RAM. Try turning off XMP/EXPO and set your RAM frequency and timings manually. Play with it. You will find it surprising on how big of an effect it can have on the mouse.

amorou

Post by amorou » 01 Oct 2023, 10:42

TheKelz wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 03:41
A lot of people here ignore RAM. Try turning off XMP/EXPO and set your RAM frequency and timings manually. Play with it. You will find it surprising on how big of an effect it can have on the mouse.
Yeah lower the mhz (tighter the all around timings) less mouse lag

ukixd

Post by ukixd » 02 Mar 2024, 03:17

Some peripheral, bad cable anything might be damaging your new pc's over and over again. Forget all that insane stuff from the outside world, there is something in common between your differend pc's that is frying the same component of the pc.

I mean if you get everything new at once, the problem will be gone. At this point i would invest 1000$ to entry level pc, 60hz monitor and everything else starting from the power cord that is plugged in the outlet