Do you get frametime spikes too?

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
ImBIGJEFF

Do you get frametime spikes too?

Post by ImBIGJEFF » 10 Nov 2023, 02:58

I can tell when my games become unstable because I'll load into a game and immediately when I start moving I get 1-2 frametime spikes. Theyre not massive spikes but they cause my game to microstutter wach time and it's very noticeable. Once I start moving and it happens I then get them when enemies shoot their guns, even if they're not on my screen, when I pick up a weapon, and periodically when walking around.

When my games are stable I dont get these frametime spikes. They happen in both Halo MCC and Splitgate. It doesnt feel like my whole game stutters, it feels like enemy players, projectiles, everything related to player models, interactable objects, etc. are what stutters.

So just curious, does anyone get these frametime spikes too?

TheKelz

Re: Do you get frametime spikes too?

Post by TheKelz » 12 Nov 2023, 15:47

I do. Even in Chrome. Basically, I have stutters whenever textures/content is loading.

Now, one could argue it's normal, but I've noticed it happens too much for me personally. It happens even on websites where my old 2014 laptop with Celeron doesn't stutter when content is loading. I found out that it's RAM config affecting this but strangely I can't get it perfect, it's either worse or just better, but it stutters nevertheless. No idea what is causing this on my PC specifically. Maybe something in the BIOS, but nothing has helped yet.

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 13 Nov 2023, 10:58

Yes, I've noticed that too.

ImBIGJEFF

Post by ImBIGJEFF » 13 Nov 2023, 23:09

I have read that frametime spikes when loading assets is indicative of storage problems. I have noticed that in Event Viewer I get a ton errors and warnings everyday related to StorPort, which is a system file related to Storage. I am curious if either of you get similar events. Personally I get them on both of my PCs.

To find the events you have to go into Event Viewer and then in the left column you have to navigate to Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, StorPort.

amorou

Post by amorou » 14 Nov 2023, 00:13

ImBIGJEFF wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 23:09
I have read that frametime spikes when loading assets is indicative of storage problems. I have noticed that in Event Viewer I get a ton errors and warnings everyday related to StorPort, which is a system file related to Storage. I am curious if either of you get similar events. Personally I get them on both of my PCs.

To find the events you have to go into Event Viewer and then in the left column you have to navigate to Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, StorPort.
Event IDs:

Warnings=> 548 (at Health section)
Errors=> 549 (at Operational section)

I got them every few mins , yours ıds same?

ImBIGJEFF

Post by ImBIGJEFF » 14 Nov 2023, 00:29

amorou wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 00:13
ImBIGJEFF wrote:

Event IDs:

Yea. I get the warning 548's every couple minutes, but it seems that as soon as I close out my game they disappear, I think.
I also get the error 549's and some other errors at the operational section every time I turn on my PC.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 14 Nov 2023, 05:16

ImBIGJEFF wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 00:29
amorou wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 00:13
ImBIGJEFF wrote:

Event IDs:

Yea. I get the warning 548's every couple minutes, but it seems that as soon as I close out my game they disappear, I think.
I also get the error 549's and some other errors at the operational section every time I turn on my PC.
It sounds like you guys have a hardware issue. Have you checked your drive's health?

ImBIGJEFF

Post by ImBIGJEFF » 14 Nov 2023, 06:03

Yes I have checked both drives' health. They are both perfectly healthy. That is what's weird.

amorou

Post by amorou » 14 Nov 2023, 10:13

ImBIGJEFF wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 06:03
Yes I have checked both drives' health. They are both perfectly healthy. That is what's weird.
Did you tried different sata data cables , I got 4 of them but all +9 years old
Edit: Ok I just went there and bought new cable errors still occurs

A week ago my friend come to stay first time in this house he did bring his pc (desktop) , I didnt tell anything about the issue and he is a casual af gamer
He instantly said something wrong with his pc , lol

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 14 Nov 2023, 16:24

amorou wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 10:13
ImBIGJEFF wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 06:03
Did you tried different sata data cables , I got 4 of them but all +9 years old
Edit: Ok I just went there and bought new cable errors still occurs

A week ago my friend come to stay first time in this house he did bring his pc (desktop) , I didnt tell anything about the issue and he is a casual af gamer
He instantly said something wrong with his pc , lol
Reinstall Windows from scratch. I have no such errors and still have an input lag issue (heavy/icy mouse).