Mouse and keyboard input lag/input skips, mouse freezes on boot

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
coolguy

Mouse and keyboard input lag/input skips, mouse freezes on boot

Post by coolguy » 18 Jan 2024, 15:44

Hello guys, so i been struggling with this problem for about 4 years now, it started with my first build which was: r5 2600, rx 580, msi b450 gaming plus, thermaltake berlin 630w, kingston 100gb ssd, seagate 1tb hdd. The issue back then was when i first connected my pc to the power after building it my cirquit breaker (english not my first language) popped, i lost electricity, this happened a few times when i plugged my pc in and started it.

After that i got a 144 hz monitor, asus vg248qz, then when i was playing games my pc would always freeze literally for one second, it would be such a huge fps drop but only for one second, no matter the load put on the pc. My monitor felt very weird, like it was 60hz even thought it was put on 144hz, i tried absolutely everything to fix these stutters and this weird monitor issue, reinstalled windows 10000 timmes, applied tweaks, updated bios, everything, nothing helped at all.

I bought a new gpu then, gigabyte rtx 2060 oc, same issue, didn't help at all. What got rid of the "didnt feel like 144hz" problem, or at least got rid of it to the point it isnt noticeable, is buying a new ssd and removing the old ssd and hdd both, my monitor finally felt like 144hz then, but the mouse freeze on boot and in grame stutters were still there, and the more the stutters happened, my monitor would "lose" the herz (like every time it would stutter, it would fully freeze, even on lowest loads, temps were fine, but every time these stutters happened i would lose hz, if it stuttered for about 50 times, then it would start to feel like 60hz again, untill i would reset the refresh rate manually, like putting it on 120 then 140, or turing my monitor off then on, that would "reset it" and it would feel like 144hz again).

Then i started replacing stuff one by one, i replaced my psu next, from thermaltake berlin 630w to coolermaster mwe bronze v2 500w, this "helped" very subtle though, kind of made my mouse less floaty, thats how i felt it. after that i bought a new monitor, benq xl2411p, this monitor change just made my monitor much much smoother overall, it felt more like 144hz now, and it was very noticeable, but the stutter issue and losing hz was still there, it just was more smooth overall.

So i kept going, bought a new cpu, from r5 2600 to r5 5600, this just improved my fps, the stutters and mouse freeze on boot still happened, so i kept going and replaced the motherboard, now this is where it got weird, after replacing the motherboard, from msi b450 gaming plus, to gigabyte b550 gaming x v2 rev 1.4 the EXTREME stutters in game were replaced by only minimal stutters, which now didnt feel like freezes, and the pc felt much more stable, especially the hertz really felt like 144hz rn more then ever. Then after updating bios i started getting mouse freezes on boot, only sometimes, which was an improvement because before it happened every single time. Tried to revert bios to fix it, didnt fix it, it only happens like randomly, sometimes twice or 3 times in a row, sometimes once in 10 times, mouse felt kind of floaty,

so decided to buy an even better psu, bought a asus tuf gaming 750w gold, this didn't do anything, or maybe it made my frames more stable, less stutters, which it only felt like, but i'm not sure about that. The biggest issue now is the fact that i get some weird input delay at times in game, where it's EXTREMELY noticeable, this is an issue i never had before, i did also switch network, so network "might" be causing this issue, but sometimes it just skips input, or does it too late, in fortnite especially, it fully skips like 3 or 4 mouse and/or keyboard input sometimes, and sometiems just does it very delayed, but then also sometimes for like 3-4 seconds it works perfectly without skipping anything, kind of like it happens if i press a lot of keys for a long time, i feel like, but i'm not sure, i just know that sometimes it places everything, and sometimes it skips inputs extremely, and delays them sometimes, my ping is always below 30 and it shows no packet loss when this happens, really need help with this guys, and would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me figure it out.

Also i had an electrician come, and he tested the outlet, he says sometimes it dropped from 220v to 214v for a milisecond, says this is up to the power providers, and this shouldnt cause any issue at all. I called the electricians, i don't know what they did they changed something in the power box, and then again tested many outlets at 8 pm, and it was consisntant 235v all the time, he says now its perfect. Any help appreciated.

[Moderator -- I added paragraph breaks for you.]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Mouse and keyboard input lag/input skips, mouse freezes on boot

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 20:00

Latency is an onion of many layers.

While your earlier problem may have been electrically-contributed (including interference to your Internet connection), your remainder of lag problems may no longer be electrical related.

However, I've moved this thread to the Niche Issues Affecting Latency forum (since I put ALL obscure lag stuff there). I do recommend you troubleshoot other things, if this is important to you. Diagnosing your network may be a good idea (jitter, bufferbloat, etc). You can network manage it a bit by doing things like using a VPN and seeing if it bypasses by using a different routing, etc. And other techniques.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 25 Jan 2024, 16:53

coolguy wrote: ↑
18 Jan 2024, 15:44
Hello guys, so i been struggling with this problem for about 4 years now
Thanks for the story. Did you change pc case? Which pc case you are using right now?

coolguy

Post by coolguy » 27 Jan 2024, 19:18

I did not switch pc case,i have coolermaster masterbox 5 mesh. Hello guys, i verified i do have internet issues which could be making my input desync/skip, but what i've found is that my floaty mouse came back, specifically after i updated an nvidia driver by reinstalling it with ddu, seems like if i'm on a nvidia driver for a while (about two weeks of gaming at least) all the microstutters stop and my floaty mouse goes away? why does this happen? also it goes away only for about 10 minutes after restarting pc, or unplugging monitor, etc, anythingh that kinda resets the resolution is a very temporary fix, any ideas what can i do? I have my pc kinda close to a tv, about a meter away, and my router too, i don't know if that would affect anything, they're not plugged into same socket box, i tried windows reinstall, that doesnt help either. What can i do about internet? is 100/10mbps enough for "normal" gaming, because i don't even need "low latency" i just want it "normal"? Also something very weird is happening, when i touch bios a lot, then do reset settings to optimal defaults a lot of times, i have to reset cmos for it to feel better, it starts being very weird. Any ideas? Any help appreciated.

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 28 Jan 2024, 00:17

coolguy wrote: ↑
27 Jan 2024, 19:18
I did not switch pc case,i have coolermaster masterbox 5 mesh. Hello guys, i verified i do have internet issues which could be making my input desync/skip, but what i've found is that my floaty mouse came back, specifically after i updated an nvidia driver by reinstalling it with ddu, seems like if i'm on a nvidia driver for a while (about two weeks of gaming at least) all the microstutters stop and my floaty mouse goes away? why does this happen? also it goes away only for about 10 minutes after restarting pc, or unplugging monitor, etc, anythingh that kinda resets the resolution is a very temporary fix, any ideas what can i do? I have my pc kinda close to a tv, about a meter away, and my router too, i don't know if that would affect anything, they're not plugged into same socket box, i tried windows reinstall, that doesnt help either. What can i do about internet? is 100/10mbps enough for "normal" gaming, because i don't even need "low latency" i just want it "normal"? Also something very weird is happening, when i touch bios a lot, then do reset settings to optimal defaults a lot of times, i have to reset cmos for it to feel better, it starts being very weird. Any ideas? Any help appreciated.
A very good observation indeed. I have noticed this too. If I do something with the NVIDIA drivers, start changing settings or reinstall the driver in general, everything becomes very unsmooth, but if I leave everything for a long period of time and don't change anything, everything gets much better.