Stuttering PC

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Richardgbg

Stuttering PC

Post by Richardgbg » 18 Jan 2024, 20:08

Hi, I'm new here, I wanted to see if you could help me. Well, as I think several here, my problem is stuttering, I recently acquired a pc, I bought it from someone and in fact I tested it in his house and the games were perfect and there was no problem. The problem was when I connected it to my house, the same game was going with an unbearable stuttering, even the windows menu and when surfing the internet, the whole pc in general. I tried everything, until I came to the conclusion that it is the electricity in my house, which by the way, is old.
Now, my question is: I saw that several people say that it is already "infected" by the electricity of my house, is it so? I am thinking of trying again at the house of the person I bought the pc from but I don't know if it will work again because of the "infection" of my house, I saw in a forum here that someone solved the problem (his user is lavar) but I have not been able to contact him.
Any help I would appreciate it too much, I spent almost 5 thousand dollars on the pc :cry:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Stuttering PC

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 20:20

The word "infection" is incorrect, the correct word is "interference"

The problem typically disappears when the interference is removed.
Usually when you bring the PC back to your friend's house, it's just back to normal.

If you have that much money, borrow a big 2000W+ lithium battery with power outlets, Jackery Power Station etc, and test it. See if the problem disappears. Do the same with your Internet router too, some even try using fiber instead of Ethernet between router & computer, or bringing router close to computer.

Also keep power wires and power bricks further away from your computer, and move the computer desk half a meter away from wall (wires, outlets, hidden transformers, etc), the inverse square law is your best friend.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Richardgbg

Post by Richardgbg » 18 Jan 2024, 20:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
18 Jan 2024, 20:20
The word "infection" is incorrect, the correct word is "interference"

The problem typically disappears when the interference is removed.
Usually when you bring the PC back to your friend's house, it's just back to normal.

If you have that much money, borrow a big 2000W+ lithium battery with power outlets, Jackery Power Station etc, and test it. See if the problem disappears. Do the same with your Internet router too, some even try using fiber instead of Ethernet between router & computer, or bringing router close to computer.

Also keep power wires and power bricks further away from your computer, and move the computer desk half a meter away from wall (wires, outlets, hidden transformers, etc), the inverse square law is your best friend.
Thank you very much. So my pc still has hope? I was on the verge of despression because of this, more so because of the comments I read about this issue, saying that the pc was unusable like this.
The truth is I don't have much money, it was only months of saving and after so much I find this problem, thanks for giving me a solution but, isn't there another one?, can some electrician check and fix it? Anyway in a few months I will be moving, this old house has me frustrated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 20:43

Are you getting the problems only when online? It might be Internet related.
Focus on that instead. (Even try temporarily testing using your mobile phone as an Internet connection for your PC, as another option too)

Are you getting the problems even when Internet is disconnected (remove Ethernet cable)? Yes, could be electrical.
Read onwards.

Repeating: "Inverse Square Law Is Your Best Friend" -- learn to understand that.

If your power brick is touching your computer or a data cable, move it at least 12 inches away.
Move the power away from the data.

Even moving to opposite side of a room sometimes helps; depending on if there's lots of electricals inside the wall (or other side of wall). Like next to a dryer machine behind the wall, could produce a powerful sphere of interference. It's a lot of invisible wavelengths -- the electromagnetic spectrum is gigantic, far beyond what you can see (and even far beyond what hypotheetically even Geordi LaForge can see with his visor).

- Monitor too close to computer power supply or monitor power supply? Move them apart.
- Mouse cable too close to power bricks? Move them apart?
- Computer has a transparent window? Try covering it up with a ferroelectric (e.g. steel) metal plate to better Faraday-Cage it, or transfer guts to opaque-on-all-sides steel case
- Internet router on top of your TV? Move your router at least 12 inches away from your TV
- Don't let your gadgets be too close together
- Don't let your power bricks be too close to your gadgets
- Don't let your data wires be too close to power wires/power bricks
- Don't let your gadgets or data wires be too close to the wall behind your computer (in case of hidden power wires)
- Watch your mouse cable!
- Try disconnecting all your RGB temporarily

INVERSE SQUARE LAW
2x distance = 1/4 as strong interference
4x distance = 1/16 as strong interference
8x distance = 1/64 as strong interference
So increasing 6 inches to 12 inches is a big help in reducing interference between POWER and DATA.
Etc.

You can also try to get a power conditioner / UPS / power isolator box, for your PC. They're not always 100% solve-alls, but you can try. You can also use a cheap 500-watt UPS to temporarily offgrid-test your computer (for 5 minutes), and see what happens.

Repeating: "Inverse Square Law Is Your Best Friend"

(Sometimes you can't get away without moving further away to a new address, e.g. living only 10 meters away from >100kV high voltage power transmission cables emitting ginormous amounts of RFI that requires moving at least two houses-lots away from it to solve, etc)

There's cheap lower-likelihood ways of trying to experiment with this.

Your problem may not be power related, and sometimes it might just be something getting loose during computer transportation, or it might be your Internet connection, etc. (Even try LTE/5G temporarily.... connect your iPhone/Android by USB cable to treat it like an Ethernet modem for your gaming rig and try to play competitive gaming over it, see if it feels better).

Or your problem may even be loose components, e.g. try firming your connectors up a little, e.g. PCIe error correction latencies caused by a heavy RTX card jiggling slightly loose during transportation; reseating it may improve PCIe electrical connection to eliminate error correction. In addition, also try a 10% underclock-everything, to get more safety margins into your computer to prevent ECC/thermal/throttling lags etc. Doesn't always work, but it's an easy thing to try (usually).

Lots of easy things to test, but the problem is there are millions+ causes with millions+ things to try; you can only try to do a lot of high-likelihood things.

Tons of things to try. Hard to recommend anything specific. This is one of the world's biggest "there's a million interference causes, and no single one-size-fits-all-computer-users fix".

Also, it may not be power. It could have been a settings change during the move (e.g. accidentally changing GPU settings, like turning on/off VRR, or turning on/off VSYNC). It could have been your Internet too, which is why I ask you to test 5G/LTE too. Unless you get all these problems while offline.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 25 Jan 2024, 16:57

Richardgbg wrote: ↑
18 Jan 2024, 20:08
I am thinking of trying again at the house of the person I bought the pc from but I don't know if it will work again because of the "infection" of my house, I saw in a forum here that someone solved the problem (his user is lavar) but I have not been able to contact him.
Any help I would appreciate it too much, I spent almost 5 thousand dollars on the pc :cry:
Please, do this test and let us know all details. :!: :geek: