Have anyone found that their solution to their EMI issue can be solved by heavily undervolting/underclocking ?

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Akso

Have anyone found that their solution to their EMI issue can be solved by heavily undervolting/underclocking ?

Post by Akso » 23 Jan 2024, 17:07

Hi everyone,

To give a little context, its been like 1.5 years that Im fighting against some judder issue to my games.
Its like night and day when I try my friends gaming PC, like its notably smoother like crazy.
I have tried 1000 of things and I came to the conclusion it was power related.

My first PC was with an RTX 3070 and an 9900k. I remember how smooth it was.
Than I switched to a 3080, things started to judder like crazy. I switched to CPU to 5900x, no difference. Than 3080ti, 12900k, 4090, 14900k... I have changed every single possible in my PC and no improvement at all.

Than I realised that my 9900k and 3070 were surely consuming WAY way less watts than any of my other previous systems. Maybe having an heavy consuming system is to much for any of my home outlets.

I was thinking about heavily reducing power consumption to my 4090 and underclocking + undervolting my 14900k.

Does anyone of you had the same experience or think that I maybe a good idea ?

MegaMelmek

Re: Have anyone found that their solution to their EMI issue can be solved by heavily undervolting/underclocking ?

Post by MegaMelmek » 27 Jan 2024, 01:04

Under clock and under volt its well know solution.
I run my 13600k at 4.4Ghz lock and 1.4V lock
and my GPU 3060ti downclocked and undervolted as much i can…
no xmp on RAM just default
But this is nothing new you can find a lot of info in BB web…

Akso

Re: Have anyone found that their solution to their EMI issue can be solved by heavily undervolting/underclocking ?

Post by Akso » 27 Jan 2024, 14:21

MegaMelmek wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 01:04
Under clock and under volt its well know solution.
I run my 13600k at 4.4Ghz lock and 1.4V lock
and my GPU 3060ti downclocked and undervolted as much i can…
no xmp on RAM just default
But this is nothing new you can find a lot of info in BB web…
Well then I will have a lot of work with my 4090 and 14900k.. Its pisses me off so much.

Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom » 31 Jan 2024, 21:12

Does anyone have a link to a post that goes in more detail. The most I've seen is Spoidah post about it but I haven't seen anything new. Maybe no news means he solved his problem lol

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 01 Feb 2024, 11:07

Maelstrom wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 21:12
Does anyone have a link to a post that goes in more detail. The most I've seen is Spoidah post about it but I haven't seen anything new. Maybe no news means he solved his problem lol
Not at all. Just a combination of being too busy to keep up with the forums and too disappointed that I haven't found a solution yet.

The TL;DR version of underclocking + undervolting is that it's not a fix. What works slightly better is underclocking + borderline over-volting e.g. 3.8GHz CPU clock speed @ 1.32v. The TL;DR of underclocking + high voltage is that it's not a fix either.

It improves smoothness a little depending on how diligent you are with your stability testing (keep an eye out for overheating at high voltages), it changes the way your mouse feels, and makes your inputs slightly less delayed at the trade-off of a big chunk of FPS.

You can have a mouse that feels like it's overshooting and floaty and have 300+fps with your hardware running normal speeds, or you can have a mouse that undershoots, feels a little overly 'tight', but feels slightly more accurate and responsive with 200fps. Either way it's not 'normal' mouse movement, and there's still a major issue about inputs being ignored.
In high APM games like Apex Legends, I often find my inputs get ignored, i.e. getting shot and trying to wallbounce, I just run face-first into a wall and my spacebar / mousewheel doesn't register any inputs. Sometimes the gun doesn't fire, sometimes the gun fires 150+ms late. Sometimes the recoil kicks harder than usual because my mouse movements aren't being picked up properly. The same level of jank can be felt in games like CS2, but it's incredibly obvious in higher APM games.

Is it worth fucking around with your voltages and trying this? Debatable, comes down to mouse feel in my opinion.

Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom » 03 Feb 2024, 11:25

spoidah wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:07
Maelstrom wrote:
Not at all. Just a combination of being too busy to keep up with the forums and too disappointed that I haven't found a solution yet.

The TL;DR version of underclocking + undervolting is that it's not a fix. What works slightly better is underclocking + borderline over-volting e.g. 3.8GHz CPU clock speed @ 1.32v. The TL;DR of underclocking + high voltage is that it's not a fix either.

It improves smoothness a little depending on how diligent you are with your stability testing (keep an eye out for overheating at high voltages), it changes the way your mouse feels, and makes your inputs slightly less delayed at the trade-off of a big chunk of FPS.

You can have a mouse that feels like it's overshooting and floaty and have 300+fps with your hardware running normal speeds, or you can have a mouse that undershoots, feels a little overly 'tight', but feels slightly more accurate and responsive with 200fps. Either way it's not 'normal' mouse movement, and there's still a major issue about inputs being ignored.
In high APM games like Apex Legends, I often find my inputs get ignored, i.e. getting shot and trying to wallbounce, I just run face-first into a wall and my spacebar / mousewheel doesn't register any inputs. Sometimes the gun doesn't fire, sometimes the gun fires 150+ms late. Sometimes the recoil kicks harder than usual because my mouse movements aren't being picked up properly. The same level of jank can be felt in games like CS2, but it's incredibly obvious in higher APM games.

Is it worth fucking around with your voltages and trying this? Debatable, comes down to mouse feel in my opinion.
I see, sorry to hear that, and thank you for the reply.
Comparatively, how does kovaaks feel for you?

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 05 Feb 2024, 13:37

Maelstrom wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 11:25
I see, sorry to hear that, and thank you for the reply.
Comparatively, how does kovaaks feel for you?
Doesn't feel right. Like I said with my previous post, you can tweak the mouse feeling and it'll either feel like the mouse is underflicking and tight (feels like some of the mouse input/movement is straight-up missing packets), or it'll feel like it overflicks and is loose (feels like the mouse is interpolating missing input/movement packets and exaggerates the movement). In either situation it'll still feel like there's a slight firing delay.

There's still some microstutters when new targets spawn in and when I shoot targets, which affect mouse feeling as well. Dropping the CPU frequency and raising the vcore voltage seems to smooth those out a decent amount, which makes aiming easier and more consistent.

milkicow

Post by milkicow » 16 Feb 2024, 19:44

spoidah wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:07
Maelstrom wrote:

Same here, having input skips while playing high apm games (sc2) and tight mouse. Disappears at night.