Floaty mouse/input lag somewhat fixed after using a UPS

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
noregret

Floaty mouse/input lag somewhat fixed after using a UPS

Post by noregret » 16 Feb 2024, 07:08

I know I've read and seen countless posts here about people having this issue / thinking they have fixed it / "i'ts a placebo" blah blah blah etc. But anyway I've had the issue of floaty mouse/laggy mouse/input lag/mouse latency - whatever you want to call it. Tried anything and everything to fix this including mutiple different pc's/mice/hardware/sotftware/bios changes etc. Nothing has improved or fixed the issue - one thing I did find was actually running my PC without a case reduced it somewhat.

Finally I decided to try buying a UPS after reading some posts on here, and I can say without a doubt this has improved the issue by a large margin - though it hasn't completely fixed it.

My question is where do I really go from here? - The issue is oviously electrical related for me. Though I've lived in the same location for years - the problem wasn't always apparent so I doubt the location itself is the problem. PC also works completely fine in a neighbours house.

Is there any point in me even hiring an electrician to take a look at the wiring/electrical system? I've tested the outlets myself and the outlets are grounded/correct - neutral earth voltage hovers between 1-2v with nothing else in the outlets though (no idea if this is relevant).

Anyway yeah my question is what are the next steps I can take to really try and get to the bottom of the issue/ the most obvious things to look into first?

dervu

Re: Floaty mouse/input lag somewhat fixed after using a UPS

Post by dervu » 16 Feb 2024, 12:03

Step 1) At first I would try same hardware at different locations that you know for sure is issue free.
If you confirm it works correctly there (best would be to check it for longer than than couple hours, like days), then you can proceed with step 2.
It might be necessary to check in different city or at least other part of city if location close to you does not result in any improvement to be sure.

Step 1a) If it doesn't work correctly, then either whole area has same issue or something on your PC is wrong or it is damaged somehow. There are people who say that moving helped to make it work 99%, but only replacing hardware in new place made it 100%) - take it with grain of salt, because there is not enough people confirming that. Might be also that some people issue is at other end of spectrum and for some it is so bad it somehow damages hardware and for some it doesn't.

Step 2)
Then you can call electrician to check basic things if wiring does not have any issues - this is low cost. If there are no fuckups then it gets expensive - finding EMC company that specializes in things like that to find culprit is your best bet. What is hard for them is knowing when it is bad and when it is good, if they have to base their findings on your feeling. If that doesn't help it's GGHF => Go for standalone battery powering PC for couple of hours or use solar panels with batteries disconnected from grid if you live in a house or move out.\

Seeing how many people failed with buying multiple things, any approach other than standalone battery or solar is waste of money at this point. Only good way is to find what is going on first and then based on that information try to find best approach to solve it. It might be hard or even impossible. Good luck.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Slender

Re: Floaty mouse/input lag somewhat fixed after using a UPS

Post by Slender » 16 Feb 2024, 16:10

noregret wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 07:08
I know I've read and seen countless posts here about people having this issue / thinking they have fixed it / "i'ts a placebo" blah blah blah etc. But anyway I've had the issue of floaty mouse/laggy mouse/input lag/mouse latency - whatever you want to call it. Tried anything and everything to fix this including mutiple different pc's/mice/hardware/sotftware/bios changes etc. Nothing has improved or fixed the issue - one thing I did find was actually running my PC without a case reduced it somewhat.

Finally I decided to try buying a UPS after reading some posts on here, and I can say without a doubt this has improved the issue by a large margin - though it hasn't completely fixed it.

My question is where do I really go from here? - The issue is oviously electrical related for me. Though I've lived in the same location for years - the problem wasn't always apparent so I doubt the location itself is the problem. PC also works completely fine in a neighbours house.

Is there any point in me even hiring an electrician to take a look at the wiring/electrical system? I've tested the outlets myself and the outlets are grounded/correct - neutral earth voltage hovers between 1-2v with nothing else in the outlets though (no idea if this is relevant).

Anyway yeah my question is what are the next steps I can take to really try and get to the bottom of the issue/ the most obvious things to look into first?
i have same feel. After i buy UPS with double conversion it fix my heavy mouse, it stable all the time, but it not fix at all. That UPS generate to much emi/rfi, you can check my video in close thread.