input lag gone for 2 weeks so far...

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
kibii

input lag gone for 2 weeks so far...

Post by kibii » 23 Mar 2024, 21:29

4.7.24 update - mouse lag and desync returned, but fixed desync part. will update again once i figure out this fix. I've narrowed down the cause to my specific situation being steam. see pg 3 of this thread

Been 2 weeks with no input lag or floaty mouse. Mouse hasn't felt this good since 2014. When shaking my mouse all of the small mouse jitters are being picked up instead of that weird "smoothing" floaty sensation that comes back a day after reformatting (i reformatted my pc probably like 30 times at this point, and built 4 custom pcs trying to fix this issue :lol: ). Before, literally making any change in windows/game settings would affect mouse movement but it seems to be consistent now. Even installing my windows Japanese language pack would add delay. I would change something in settings and mouse would feel great for like a day then return. Keep in mind I don't have electrical issues like bad grounding or poor internet, I just had floaty mouse and keypress input delay that's been following my PC builds and houses (grandparents and parent's houses)

Crossing my fingers that it doesn't return, and after 2 weeks there's been no sign of it coming back. I will update the thread if it returns.

What triggered this change:
1. Reset all Steam notification settings to default from the steam website: Steam Account Details > Notification Settings > Expand ALL the options and match each tickbox to a brand new steam account's notification settings. Before this I had several mobile app push notifications and steam client toast notifications checked that were different to default. I have NO idea when I changed these but something triggered the change because my mouse movement was responsive and snappy before around 2015. Do this for every single steam account you've logged into on that pc.
edit: default settings I used as taken from my alt account, requested by someone: https://imgur.com/a/Ce4c5wU

2. On discord mobile app, disabled "get notifications within Discord" under notification settings. For some reason when it's enabled, I feel a bit of server lag and weird hit registration. Everything else in my discord settings is default.

I have no special PC tweaks. Bios settings are default + XMP. Nvidia settings are high performance slider setting with power usage set to prefer max performance. That's it. I refuse to make further tweaks, most pros play with just these changes alone and it's good enough for them; I wanted to find the outside cause for my lag. My lag was following me around from house to house and build to build so my thought process was that it had to be an external factor.

I'm wondering if the cause is due to the steam and discord PC / Mobile apps pinging each other that's affecting mouse lag/hit reg. Couldn't tell you to be honest, but these work for me. Also the lag can be replicated again by reversing any of the changes I mentioned above strangely.
Last edited by kibii on 07 Apr 2024, 17:24, edited 4 times in total.

kriegsnake

Re: input lag gone for 2 weeks so far...

Post by kriegsnake » 24 Mar 2024, 07:19

Can you make a screenshot of steam notifications settings ?

cursed-gamer

Post by cursed-gamer » 24 Mar 2024, 12:47

Ok so you want to say, that Valorant or any other game not related to Steam platform were working completely fine?

kibii

Post by kibii » 24 Mar 2024, 14:48

kriegsnake wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:19
Can you make a screenshot of steam notifications settings ?
https://imgur.com/a/Ce4c5wU
cursed-gamer wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 12:47
Ok so you want to say, that Valorant or any other game not related to Steam platform were working completely fine?
No, the mouse smoothing persisted throughout all games, even Valorant... Was present even when steam is closed. I know it's weird and doesn't make sense. Idk what steam is doing to the registry or what effect it's making on my system.

Also strangely enough, one of my previous builds which I've NEVER signed into my main steam account on is free of mouse lag in any application.

internetexplorer4

Post by internetexplorer4 » 24 Mar 2024, 22:11

kibii wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 21:29
Been 2 weeks with no input lag or floaty mouse. Mouse hasn't felt this good since 2014. When shaking my mouse all of the small mouse jitters are being picked up instead of that weird "smoothing" floaty sensation that comes back a day after reformatting (i reformatted my pc probably like 30 times at this point, and built 4 custom pcs trying to fix this issue :lol: ). Before, literally making any change in windows/game settings would affect mouse movement but it seems to be consistent now. Even installing my windows Japanese language pack would add delay. I would change something in settings and mouse would feel great for like a day then return. Keep in mind I don't have electrical issues like bad grounding or poor internet, I just had floaty mouse and keypress input delay that's been following my PC builds and houses (grandparents and parent's houses)

Crossing my fingers that it doesn't return, and after 2 weeks there's been no sign of it coming back. I will update the thread if it returns.

1. Reset all Steam notification settings to default: Steam Account Details > Notification Settings > Expand ALL the options and match each tickbox to a brand new steam account's notification settings. Before this I had several mobile app push notifications and steam client toast notifications checked that were different to default. I have NO idea when I changed these but something triggered the change because my mouse movement was responsive and snappy before around 2015. Do this for every single steam account you've logged into on that pc.
2. On discord mobile app, disabled "get notifications within Discord" under notification settings. For some reason when it's enabled, I feel a bit of server lag and weird hit registration. Everything else in my discord settings is default.

I have no special PC tweaks. Bios settings are default + XMP. Nvidia settings are high performance slider setting with power usage set to prefer max performance. That's it. I refuse to make further tweaks, most pros play with just these changes alone and it's good enough for them; I wanted to find the outside cause for my lag. My lag was following me around from house to house and build to build so my thought process was that it had to be an external factor.

I'm wondering if the cause is due to the steam and discord PC / Mobile apps pinging each other that's affecting mouse lag/hit reg. Couldn't tell you to be honest, but these work for me. Also the lag can be replicated again by reversing any of the changes I mentioned above strangely.
you have also floaty mouse and input lag right? not just hit reg problems

and you said that if you enable those settings again, lag comes back

so if you can record you doing any aim trainer showing the difference would be great, or just upload some screenshots

I found this one really consistent to measure, the hexakill one, and you don't have to download anything https://aiming.pro/quick-play

but you can try any other aim trainer you want

kibii

Post by kibii » 25 Mar 2024, 02:10

internetexplorer4 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 22:11
kibii wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 21:29

1. Reset all Steam notification settings to default: Steam Account Details > Notification Settings > Expand ALL the options and match each tickbox to a brand new steam account's notification settings. Before this I had several mobile app push notifications and steam client toast notifications checked that were different to default. I have NO idea when I changed these but something triggered the change because my mouse movement was responsive and snappy before around 2015. Do this for every single steam account you've logged into on that pc.

you have also floaty mouse and input lag right? not just hit reg problems

and you said that if you enable those settings again, lag comes back

so if you can record you doing any aim trainer showing the difference would be great, or just upload some screenshots

I found this one really consistent to measure, the hexakill one, and you don't have to download anything https://aiming.pro/quick-play

but you can try any other aim trainer you want
I just recorded some deathmatch footage on Valorant. I don't think aim trainers show things like maintaining crosshair placement, getting ferrari peeked, "more loose" spray patterns, Upload is processing so might look like crap rn.

1. No lag, with "fixed" settings mentioned in my original post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHWWTTRrMMM

2. Yes lag, the "bad" steam notifications and discord notifications checked. Lag progressively gets worse keep watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRUKC8489Q

Pay special attention to my mouse movement on the 2nd video. Micro mouse movements feel like acceleration is on and is smoothed, I'm overflicking a lot. Compared to the first video you can see more of the jitters and micro movements from my mouse actually and correctly being picked up. Tracing walls and maintaining good crosshair placement is just an overall struggle when my mouse isn't feeling 1:1. It looks like I might be playing worse on purpose but I was really struggling to maintain crosshair placement/auto correcting my flicks/sprays. I have to wait for people to peek me more than taking actual fights because my mouse never feels like it's in the right place and I can't micro adjust properly during peeks. Also, movement keys are a bit stickier fsr when I'm lagging

kriegsnake

Post by kriegsnake » 25 Mar 2024, 02:42

Half of them are family view notifications and I don't even have them on the list.

caponew0w

Post by caponew0w » 25 Mar 2024, 11:24

As someone who retired from valorant & counter strike years ago due to desync issues.. I've tried this, why not.. Game felt amazing..
I am ocasionally trying tweaks and fixes.. If they dont work, I just revert them.. So once every few days I play some deathmatches.. So I know how it normally feels, and it does not magically fix itself.. And ofcourse, I know how it should feel.. I have some other posts in this forum proving my broken gameplay..

So I followed your steps.. Disabled the discord notifications from the mobile app itself, and in Steam notifications I just turned everything off.. I dont need them anyway.. I hopped in a deathmatch and oh my god, everything was perfect, nailing a 91 kills and 36 deaths game (some players disconnected before I could make the screenshot).. Game felt really responsive, and I no longer have the feeling that my character is a big heavy peace of steel.. I was light, I could move, and I had time to react.

https://imgur.com/hZ1Zn70
edit: second game https://imgur.com/665kQPS

We will see how it further behaves.. I learned not to think that "omg fixed".. I am not even considering this option now, for my own mental health :D But yes, hitreg wise I can say that is been more than 2.5 years since I last had this nice of a gameplay.
Thank you very much for sharing, and keep in touch!
Last edited by caponew0w on 25 Mar 2024, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 25 Mar 2024, 11:59

kriegsnake wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 02:42
Half of them are family view notifications and I don't even have them on the list.
Because these settings under steampowered.com/account/notifications not local steamclient

Upd: On deathmatch seems like my desync fixed, even on low fps and weak config, have this issue since ~ 2013 2014 like caponew0w
Last edited by InputLagger on 25 Mar 2024, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.

Fishie

Post by Fishie » 25 Mar 2024, 12:30

I don't think this is the cause. A fresh installed windows also has this issue. The problem will come back after a couple of days/months
Programmer, Gamer, Discord: cat.noir