[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
woodyfly

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by woodyfly » 18 Jan 2023, 04:40

What I did and found it made a difference was turning a lot of features in bios, particularly power or overclocking related. I know, you'vprobably tried this and I have as well many times before. I would turn off the most known things like EIST, C states, hyperthreading, etc. But usually I would just leave the stuff I didn't know or stuff I never heard anyone say they should be touched on Auto. This time I turned off a lot more. So all in all I turned off hyper threading, speed shift, cpu thermal monitor, ring to core offset, EIST, race to halt, energy efficient turbo, turbo boost technology, cpu flex ratio override, E-cores to 0, c states and a few more. Basically if it was somewhat related to the performance of the CPU, i turned it off. After that I set a static overclock of 4.8 on my 12700kf and xmp enabled.

itsjNs

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by itsjNs » 18 Jan 2023, 05:39

Input lag [for me] happens when neutral in phases is overloaded thus if depending on the loads linear non linear there are different harmonic frequencies present.
Ive supplied solutions to fix the issue 100% by going off grid. If you dont know what that is google it.\
To prove that I'm 1000% correct that the input lag is happening cause of that then do this simple thing.
Call your power company and report a fault, tell them when they arrive to balance the phases in the pole.
Once they finish go and test and see for yourself, you'll either have some input lag still or you might have non at all at least some that you can feel.
The unbalanced phases in the pole are overloading the neutral (return path of current) which is common for you and your neighbors so by balancing the phases you will see instant difference.
Now if you wanna fix the issue even more youve got to do the same for your house phases.
Now if you wanna go even further you need to have multiple neutrals in your house wiring dont have for example 1 neutral for 2 or even more circuits that way when others use electricity in your house if you do not live alone your gameplay will not slow down cause of the overloaded neutral.

Cheers

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 23 Jan 2023, 01:59

Depending on where you live, most homes have single phase power supply coming in, at least where I live. And you do realize that balancing the phases is close to impossible since load on each phase is an ever changing number? An over-sized neutral is usually used in that case, where the neutral is 1.5 to 2 times larger in diameter than the phase line. This way it can endure the return current of the harmonics "3rd and 5th mainly" caused by non-linear loads.

As for household wiring, unless you're running each wire at its full capacity "which means that it's time to upgrade your wires" you actually won't be needing to have a secondary neutral connected to the same socket or even have an oversized original one. The question is do power supply companies have over-sized neutrals reaching the main panels of our buildings or houses? I have absolutely no idea. It was troubling enough for me to get them to fix a 30v potential on the main neutral 3 months back. Somehow the phase was supplying 260v and the neutral already had an elevated voltage potential of 30v, so when they came and tested the phase-neutral potential it showed 230v which is the standard here. Then I asked them to test the neutral vs earth and it showed 30v they claimed that the fault is in my grounding system regardless of the fact that a 260v potential was recorded when they tested earth vs phase lol. So you know, all in all they're not that helpful and at times, they people they sent are not that knowledgeable either.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

dannyoceanic

Post by dannyoceanic » 25 Jan 2023, 06:50

Shade7 wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 17:39
KingAzar wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 01:24
I just wanted to add my point of view here.

When I was a pro player (CS1.6) I still remember our team configs, Pentium 4 running at 3Ghz with 8GB Ram (OCZ) and Geforce 4 and mouse was the Logitech MX300. We had an aluminum case where sometimes we get shocked when we touch certain parts but otherwise I can remember input lag-wise, we did not have any issues.

I haven't played FPS for years and I started to play Valorant since the beta, today I'm 36, and Ascendant is 3 in rank. In the beginning, I had an i7 8086k, 16GB Ram, 1080ti, 1 SSD, and 4 HDD, Full of RGB, and my connection Cable (coax) was 900 down and 100 up. I did not have a floaty mouse issue but more like how to find my CS resolution but I never found a real fix to it and I got used to it. The issues that I had were
- I am unable to peek angles, no matter how is my approach, even if I Ferrari peek style the enemy will shoot me as soon as I see a pixel of their shoulder.
- I am unable to hold angles, well if peeking is already a battle for me, holding is just game over, even a Bronze player will treat me like it was a mistake for me to play this game.
I tried to change the modem, cable type, and cable length, and add more speed to my internet by upgrading my subscription with ISP but nothing helped.

I noticed that in my duo when he plays, he has time to peek and adjust the crosshair on his head and shoot and he is freaking SLOW! 1v1 custom game he can't even beat me in a face-to-face fight. Then I realized he had AMD CPU and I was like it's probably time to change hardware.

I got a new PC, 5950x, Asus X570 Hero, 32 Gb Ram, PSU Corsair HX850 and RTX3090, and I did remember right after installing windows, I did not even when to install any drivers (well Windows did auto-install NVidia driver), jump in Valorant range and that feeling when you click and you insta hit the bot and went to DM, the game was fast, did wake up my brain, peek was legendary I was 40 kills while the second person was at 19 and he was Immortal3. Then installed all drivers (Audio, AMD Chipset, Nvidia Drivers) and the issue came back! I thought it was my connection for sure so I decided to move where a Fibre connection is available.

I did move and my ping in Valorant is even better but still feel like crap! and now I have a floaty mouse! on my 2 gaming mice!

My questions are, do you think all the RGB on my fans, ram, AIO, and GPU could cause this?
I thought my HDD could be the cause by removing all of them but the issue is still the same.
Do you think the water pump on AIOs could be a culprit?

I haven't done any electric testing yet, my next goal is to get an EMI meter and see what I get. Does lowering EMI from house electricity should help, if not then where the heck is this coming from? Must be inside the PC itself or Windows!
Well, since you are talking about Valorant specifically, I might be able to suggest a few things, since it's my main game at the moment.

I would not bother looking into electrical/EMI issues yet. There are tons of things to troubleshoot (especially for Valorant) that are much more likely to cause lag than the extremely rare cases of real electrical issues.

My thoughts/suggestions:

-Since you mentioned no lag before installing drivers, there might be an issue with overwriting, updating certain drivers (conflicts between Windows automatically installed drivers and manually updated drivers). Try clean installing Windows again from a USB stick, not the "reset my pc" option. But, this time, unplug your ethernet/wifi to stop automatic driver updates. Keep your Chipset, GPU, Audio, Network drivers on another USB stick and install those first, BEFORE running Windows update on the newly installed OS. I have not tried this but have seen it recommended in other forums.

-Your PC might need a PSU upgrade. 850W for a 3090 + 5950 might not be enough. Technically, it might be within the expected power draw of your components, but I've read that the 30-series GPUs could have power spikes, which would prob cross your PSU's capabilities.

-Certain tweaks/OS/Bios settings can completely brick Valorant. Valorant seems especially sensitive to certain changes, so if you have applied some of the tweaks recommended found in a lot of those random youtube "optimization" videos, Valorant will start to act wonky. With your hardware, you shouldn't have to worry about boosting FPS/performance. The bigger concern is to go for stability/consistent performance. So, it's better to leave most things the way the OS sets them by default.

-Certain background programs/bloatware are known to kill Valorant performance (drop fps, introduce stutters, desync). Asus AISuite + Armory Crate are known to do this. Even uninstalling them does NOT fix the issue. Will have to clean reinstall Windows and avoid installing these in the future.

-Try Windows 10. Ryzen systems + Win 11 sometimes leads to issues with Valorant.

-Lastly, based on your new PC, it seems that you are willing to splurge a bit on gaming. I'd consider getting your PC optimized specifically for Valorant. Usually I'm against "optimizers", and those sorts of services, but COMPREADY seems to have a very good rep when it comes to optimizing specifically for Valorant. I've heard they spend extra time on diagnosing/fixing strange issues that come up on a case-by-case basis. Since it looks like you are about to go down the rabbit hole of EMI/electrical issues, which not only gets expensive, but- most of the time- doesn't yield any useful results, I'd suggest just purchasing an optimization before doing that.
Hello shade. Since valorant is your main game, maybe you can help me out. Does the game feel smooth to you and do your shots hit where they are supposed to ? For me it's like most of the time the servers I connect to I'm behind the server when it comes to shots landing. Sometimes the servers are okay and the shots are going where they supposed to go and land on target, but that's rarely the case. I searched the internet for some time now and found a partial fix, which is to cap your fps at 128 and the game feels a little smoother but still most of the time it feels like I'm 1-2 secs behind the server.

Maybe you had the same issue and could fix it ?

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 25 Jan 2023, 09:09

itsjNs wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 05:39
Input lag [for me] happens when neutral in phases is overloaded thus if depending on the loads linear non linear there are different harmonic frequencies present.
Ive supplied solutions to fix the issue 100% by going off grid. If you dont know what that is google it.\
To prove that I'm 1000% correct that the input lag is happening cause of that then do this simple thing.
Call your power company and report a fault, tell them when they arrive to balance the phases in the pole.
Once they finish go and test and see for yourself, you'll either have some input lag still or you might have non at all at least some that you can feel.
The unbalanced phases in the pole are overloading the neutral (return path of current) which is common for you and your neighbors so by balancing the phases you will see instant difference.
Now if you wanna fix the issue even more youve got to do the same for your house phases.
Now if you wanna go even further you need to have multiple neutrals in your house wiring dont have for example 1 neutral for 2 or even more circuits that way when others use electricity in your house if you do not live alone your gameplay will not slow down cause of the overloaded neutral.

Cheers
At that point you should just buy a simple few hundred dollar or less fix that can fix incoming AC issues. Your PSU and mobo filter most of the noise but even better something like a CVT, double conversion UPS, or even a digital voltage regulator (usually not as good as analog ones) can do the job. I think some people suffer from higher than normal harmonics but more likely voltage sag/spikes which can be easily fixed via those solutions. a voltage regulator though only kicks in between that products specified ranges & isn't always instant which is why I mostly prefer more analog tech like a CVT.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 26 Jan 2023, 21:47

dannyoceanic wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 06:50
Shade7 wrote:
KingAzar wrote:

When I was a pro player (CS1.6) I still remember our team configs, Pentium 4 running at 3Ghz with 8GB Ram (OCZ) and Geforce 4 and mouse was the Logitech MX300. We had an aluminum case where sometimes we get shocked when we touch certain parts but otherwise I can remember input lag-wise, we did not have any issues.

I haven't played FPS for years and I started to play Valorant since the beta, today I'm 36, and Ascendant is 3 in rank. In the beginning, I had an i7 8086k, 16GB Ram, 1080ti, 1 SSD, and 4 HDD, Full of RGB, and my connection Cable (coax) was 900 down and 100 up. I did not have a floaty mouse issue but more like how to find my CS resolution but I never found a real fix to it and I got used to it. The issues that I had were
- I am unable to peek angles, no matter how is my approach, even if I Ferrari peek style the enemy will shoot me as soon as I see a pixel of their shoulder.
- I am unable to hold angles, well if peeking is already a battle for me, holding is just game over, even a Bronze player will treat me like it was a mistake for me to play this game.
I tried to change the modem, cable type, and cable length, and add more speed to my internet by upgrading my subscription with ISP but nothing helped.

I noticed that in my duo when he plays, he has time to peek and adjust the crosshair on his head and shoot and he is freaking SLOW! 1v1 custom game he can't even beat me in a face-to-face fight. Then I realized he had AMD CPU and I was like it's probably time to change hardware.

I got a new PC, 5950x, Asus X570 Hero, 32 Gb Ram, PSU Corsair HX850 and RTX3090, and I did remember right after installing windows, I did not even when to install any drivers (well Windows did auto-install NVidia driver), jump in Valorant range and that feeling when you click and you insta hit the bot and went to DM, the game was fast, did wake up my brain, peek was legendary I was 40 kills while the second person was at 19 and he was Immortal3. Then installed all drivers (Audio, AMD Chipset, Nvidia Drivers) and the issue came back! I thought it was my connection for sure so I decided to move where a Fibre connection is available.

I did move and my ping in Valorant is even better but still feel like crap! and now I have a floaty mouse! on my 2 gaming mice!

My questions are, do you think all the RGB on my fans, ram, AIO, and GPU could cause this?
I thought my HDD could be the cause by removing all of them but the issue is still the same.

I haven't done any electric testing yet, my next goal is to get an EMI meter and see what I get. Does lowering EMI from house electricity should help, if not then where the heck is this coming from? Must be inside the PC itself or Windows!
Well, since you are talking about Valorant specifically, I might be able to suggest a few things, since it's my main game at the moment.

I would not bother looking into electrical/EMI issues yet. There are tons of things to troubleshoot (especially for Valorant) that are much more likely to cause lag than the extremely rare cases of real electrical issues.

My thoughts/suggestions:

-Since you mentioned no lag before installing drivers, there might be an issue with overwriting, updating certain drivers (conflicts between Windows automatically installed drivers and manually updated drivers). Try clean installing Windows again from a USB stick, not the "reset my pc" option. But, this time, unplug your ethernet/wifi to stop automatic driver updates. Keep your Chipset, GPU, Audio, Network drivers on another USB stick and install those first, BEFORE running Windows update on the newly installed OS. I have not tried this but have seen it recommended in other forums.

-Your PC might need a PSU upgrade. 850W for a 3090 + 5950 might not be enough. Technically, it might be within the expected power draw of your components, but I've read that the 30-series GPUs could have power spikes, which would prob cross your PSU's capabilities.

-Certain tweaks/OS/Bios settings can completely brick Valorant. Valorant seems especially sensitive to certain changes, so if you have applied some of the tweaks recommended found in a lot of those random youtube "optimization" videos, Valorant will start to act wonky. With your hardware, you shouldn't have to worry about boosting FPS/performance. The bigger concern is to go for stability/consistent performance. So, it's better to leave most things the way the OS sets them by default.

-Certain background programs/bloatware are known to kill Valorant performance (drop fps, introduce stutters, desync). Asus AISuite + Armory Crate are known to do this. Even uninstalling them does NOT fix the issue. Will have to clean reinstall Windows and avoid installing these in the future.

-Try Windows 10. Ryzen systems + Win 11 sometimes leads to issues with Valorant.

-Lastly, based on your new PC, it seems that you are willing to splurge a bit on gaming. I'd consider getting your PC optimized specifically for Valorant. Usually I'm against "optimizers", and those sorts of services, but COMPREADY seems to have a very good rep when it comes to optimizing specifically for Valorant. I've heard they spend extra time on diagnosing/fixing strange issues that come up on a case-by-case basis. Since it looks like you are about to go down the rabbit hole of EMI/electrical issues, which not only gets expensive, but- most of the time- doesn't yield any useful results, I'd suggest just purchasing an optimization before doing that.
Hello shade. Since valorant is your main game, maybe you can help me out. Does the game feel smooth to you and do your shots hit where they are supposed to ? For me it's like most of the time the servers I connect to I'm behind the server when it comes to shots landing. Sometimes the servers are okay and the shots are going where they supposed to go and land on target, but that's rarely the case. I searched the internet for some time now and found a partial fix, which is to cap your fps at 128 and the game feels a little smoother but still most of the time it feels like I'm 1-2 secs behind the server.

Hey!

So- there is probably a lot you can try. I probably said this earlier, but to state it again, Valorant is a very fussy game. Small changes in your setup (Hardware,OS,Software) can make a VERY big difference in how the game runs & how gameplay feels to the player.

I wouldn't cap your fps to 128. I've read about that "fix" last year, and it seems that particular issue was patched something earlier this year. If you are using a higher refresh rate monitor (preferably 144Hz+), then capping it down to 128 is a bad idea.

There's a LOT you can try to fix your particular issue. It might take a decent amount of time, since you have to try things 1 by 1, and it will take quite a bit of troubleshooting.

Rather than putting a band-aid on the issue, I'd start off with the broader fixes to rule things out.

1. Update to your MOBO's latest BIOS
2. Load up "optimized defaults" for your BIOS
3. Configure only the basic things: XMP or DOCP mode, Fans/Cooling, etc.
4. Fresh installation of Windows 10 (using Windows Media Creation Tool via USB)
5. Download all drivers (Chipset, GPU, Audio, SSD/Storage, Network)
6. Run all Windows Updates, so you are up to date
7. Game Mode ON, Game Bar OFF, HAGS OFF- as a start (can also try Game Mode OFF, causes issues for some setups)
8. Avoid using Raw Input Buffer in-game, it's problematic for some setups
9. Use MSI Afterburner to set a stronger fan curve (make sure to download it from a legit source, not the malware versions) (Get the latest Beta version, as the builds before it had conflicts with Valorant)

This is a decent starting point to troubleshoot issues. Don't install anything unnecessary or apply any other tweaks, to rule out overtweaking being the cause of your issues.

dannyoceanic

Post by dannyoceanic » 07 Feb 2023, 15:10

Shade7 wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 21:47
dannyoceanic wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 06:50
Shade7 wrote:
KingAzar wrote:

My thoughts/suggestions:

Hey!

So- there is probably a lot you can try. I probably said this earlier, but to state it again, Valorant is a very fussy game. Small changes in your setup (Hardware,OS,Software) can make a VERY big difference in how the game runs & how gameplay feels to the player.

I wouldn't cap your fps to 128. I've read about that "fix" last year, and it seems that particular issue was patched something earlier this year. If you are using a higher refresh rate monitor (preferably 144Hz+), then capping it down to 128 is a bad idea.

There's a LOT you can try to fix your particular issue. It might take a decent amount of time, since you have to try things 1 by 1, and it will take quite a bit of troubleshooting.

Rather than putting a band-aid on the issue, I'd start off with the broader fixes to rule things out.

1. Update to your MOBO's latest BIOS
2. Load up "optimized defaults" for your BIOS
3. Configure only the basic things: XMP or DOCP mode, Fans/Cooling, etc.
4. Fresh installation of Windows 10 (using Windows Media Creation Tool via USB)
5. Download all drivers (Chipset, GPU, Audio, SSD/Storage, Network)
6. Run all Windows Updates, so you are up to date
7. Game Mode ON, Game Bar OFF, HAGS OFF- as a start (can also try Game Mode OFF, causes issues for some setups)
8. Avoid using Raw Input Buffer in-game, it's problematic for some setups
9. Use MSI Afterburner to set a stronger fan curve (make sure to download it from a legit source, not the malware versions) (Get the latest Beta version, as the builds before it had conflicts with Valorant)

This is a decent starting point to troubleshoot issues. Don't install anything unnecessary or apply any other tweaks, to rule out overtweaking being the cause of your issues.
Thanks mate, I will try those things you suggested and see if the game runs better. I have already set my 128 fps caps to 240, since m Monitor hast 240 hz. I guess you are right about their fix of that matter. Since I changed it, it runs a little smoother.

The Blur Buster Fan

Post by The Blur Buster Fan » 10 Mar 2023, 02:12

Hello again. It's been some time since I posted. I noticed something strange today. I changed the name of my pc and the choppy lag in my games improved noticeably. I still get no regs and enemies still skip some motion making them look fast, but their motion looks smoother and I can land slower projectiles with skill now instead of rng.
So the obvious question is, is this some undetectable virus problem temporarily averted or an electrical problem improved slightly? Does changing the name of the PC trigger a reset of some sort?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 11 Mar 2023, 19:47

The Blur Buster Fan wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 02:12
Hello again. It's been some time since I posted. I noticed something strange today. I changed the name of my pc and the choppy lag in my games improved noticeably. I still get no regs and enemies still skip some motion making them look fast, but their motion looks smoother and I can land slower projectiles with skill now instead of rng.
So the obvious question is, is this some undetectable virus problem temporarily averted or an electrical problem improved slightly? Does changing the name of the PC trigger a reset of some sort?
Probably coincidence- but it’s possible something changed.
  • Your PC might now be recognized differently by your router/networking equipment. Maybe this cleared out some older settings/config.
  • I’ve also read about rare instances where specific games might have issues with certain PC names. If you have nonstandard characters (other than basic English alphabet+numbers) in your PC’s name, it could cause issues when the game tries to identify your PC.

amorou

Post by amorou » 24 Mar 2023, 09:26

The Blur Buster Fan wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 02:12
What was the names before and after ?