[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Headglitch123

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by Headglitch123 » 02 Apr 2022, 06:45

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 23:23
sunrisesineast wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 09:13
I was playing around with my gpu voltage today and noticed that whenever I changed the voltage using msi afterburner, there was a short crackling/static noise in my headphones. What could be causing that?
That's weird! What are your headphones connected to? Motherboard, Audio Interface or Monitor's Headphone Jack? Is your PC grounded?
Mine is connected to the monitor, because the cable is to short to reach my mobo. I dont only hear crackling but also beeps, and if i plug it in my mobo the beeps are gone

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 04 Apr 2022, 07:21

Headglitch123 wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 06:45
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
sunrisesineast wrote:
I was playing around with my gpu voltage today and noticed that whenever I changed the voltage using msi afterburner, there was a short crackling/static noise in my headphones. What could be causing that?
That's weird! What are your headphones connected to? Motherboard, Audio Interface or Monitor's Headphone Jack? Is your PC grounded?
Mine is connected to the monitor, because the cable is to short to reach my mobo. I dont only hear crackling but also beeps, and if i plug it in my mobo the beeps are gone
If you can solve it by connecting the headphones to your motherboard then you can just buy an audio jack extension cord.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 04 Apr 2022, 08:01

sunrisesineast wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 05:02
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
sunrisesineast wrote:
Headphones connected to mobo via 3.5mm jack. Its onboard audio. Mobo is MSI H410m Pro-e. I believe my PC is grounded. The plug has a ground pin. PSU is attached to case with screws provided. They are painted black though so im not sure if they actually provide a connection. The underside of the scews look metallic. Is there a simple way to test whether my pc is properly grounded?

Also i believe there is some problem with the wiring in my apartment. Sometimes when my roommate turns off the lights/exhaust in the bathroom, i can hear a similar crackling noise in the same headphones connected to my laptop while plugged in (dont know if it occurs while unplugged). I googled and saw that this could be due to a ground loop.
the top part of the screws are usually painted but the threaded part is not, which what usually provides the ground to the case. You can buy an outlet tester "they are really cheap" but will only give you an indication if your ground is present or not. Having an extremely bad ground doesn't get picked up by those. Other way of testing is by using a voltmeter and check for the potential difference between any grounded screw on the motherboard and your Neutral AC line. A reading should be somewhere close to 0 "in a perfect scenario", but anywhere from 0 to 2V should be normal. There's a lot that goes into this too, depending on the type of your Power Supply, a better more efficient power supply will actually give a higher reading of current leakage into the chassis than a bad one would. Reason for that is more effecient power supplies come with more X&Y Capacitors specifically Y's which are there to filter the Main line.

I feel like having a bad or no ground coupled with a cheap bronze or even lower class power supply would be better than having an extremely efficient power supply with no ground at all. Depending on the components tolerance of voltage ripple that would be produced by the cheap power supply into the 12v 5v and 3v rails, and how loose intel specs are regarding this it does really make sense "from a logical view" to have the first option. A more efficient power supply will have a relatively more current leakage that needs to find its way back to earth, and hence needs good grounding or the free current will linger on the chassis of the case. I am by far not an electrical engineer nor my field of study was by any way related to this. I just like to read!

As for your issue with the wiring, I had the same issue too. Whenever the Bathroom's light that was close to my room is turned on, it would create a buzzing noise in my headphones which were connected directly to my Audio Interface that is connected via a USB to the motherboard. The buzzing noise wasn't picked by the headphones unless I enable live monitoring "which monitors my Microphone" so the preamp for the MIC and the inline preamp where the ones included not the headphone amp itself. My PC was on a completely different circuit than that bathroom light but for some reason it was still effecting it somehow. My Power supply is a Seasonic PX focus Platinum 850W, it should be a really good one but yet the buzzing still appeared. I solved it by getting a better inline preamp "cloud lifter" and having it in a different arrangement.

Now is it being a ground loop or not, I don't think so from my part. The bathroom's light circuit doesn't even have ground, the PC one has. It might be something wrong with the light itself. But who knows! I'm not even sure how this would effect the PC outside of it effecting only the Audio Interface. What I started doing though, Before turning my PC on, I would make sure that the bathroom light is turned off, so at least for the boot sequence and ram training specifically not to be effected by whatever this light is doing to the AC line. I have set my ram to train everytime i boot my PC after finding a sweet spot for the timings RTLs and training algos and locking them in.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

sunrisesineast

Post by sunrisesineast » 07 Apr 2022, 14:40

Has anyone tried wrapping PC with aluminum foil or some other form of shielding?

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 07 Apr 2022, 14:47

sunrisesineast wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 14:40
Has anyone tried wrapping PC with aluminum foil or some other form of shielding?
Yes, dont work

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 10 Apr 2022, 04:05

sunrisesineast wrote:
Yep, even connected the foil to a grounding point so it sucks whatever leakage current it absorbs. Did not help!

nyxo100

Post by nyxo100 » 10 Apr 2022, 23:44

sunrisesineast wrote:
i tried no difference

sunrisesineast

Post by sunrisesineast » 18 Apr 2022, 21:13

Discovered that when i downclock my gpu(decreasing core clock, memory clock and voltage) google chrome becomes way faster. Unsure about games because there is added render latency from underclocking. Have you guys noticed any difference when downclocking?

I have a leadtek 1050ti. EVGA 500W PSU.

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 19 Apr 2022, 07:16

sunrisesineast wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 21:13
Discovered that when i downclock my gpu(decreasing core clock, memory clock and voltage) google chrome becomes way faster. Unsure about games because there is added render latency from underclocking. Have you guys noticed any difference when downclocking?

I have a leadtek 1050ti. EVGA 500W PSU.
Its all temporarily

Patrykelele

Post by Patrykelele » 20 Apr 2022, 18:40

I have some noticeable delays since 2019, I moved to other place i thought It will be better. I was wrong. Playing games in afternoon is unplayable mouse/keyboard feel unresponsable. Having low stable ping with high speeds +500fps still some delays. I suspected it was internet, but my pings are ok and on offline maps i have more consistant gameplay late nights when everyone is sleeping. It's was big question mark for me untill today. I saw on forum topic about EMI. I find out that I have kind high voltage lines In front of my house. I have my gaming pc in first room to lines, also fiber cabel is directly under these lines. I have new suspect now it can be saturated electrocity lines casue high EMI. I also feel sick to sleep in the room i feel like i can't sleep good. I attached IMG of my house. Tell me guys what u think about that. I have measured the distance beetwen pc and these lines it is about 9m.
Attachments
adadadadadad.PNG
adadadadadad.PNG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3008 times