[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
quarksbar

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by quarksbar » 01 Jul 2022, 01:47

sunrisesineast wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 19:43
My mouse tester plot seems to have changed. More concentrated around the 1000hz mark now. Too bad I don't have a before picture saved.
Hey, are you also in Edmonton AB?

sunrisesineast

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by sunrisesineast » 01 Jul 2022, 11:17

quarksbar wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 01:47
sunrisesineast wrote:
My mouse tester plot seems to have changed. More concentrated around the 1000hz mark now. Too bad I don't have a before picture saved.
Hey, are you also in Edmonton AB?
Yeah. I already replied to your other thread.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 01 Jul 2022, 13:57

sunrisesineast wrote:
Screenshots is not the problem,
I have plenty of this shit

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9304&p=73941#p73941

itsjNs

Post by itsjNs » 04 Aug 2022, 22:22

Hello everyone I've been looking into this thread for a long time but never had an account or felt like posting since I was just testing stuff.

Last week I had some professional electrician over so bare with me.

I'm pretty sure the issues you are all experiencing, myself as well, have nothing to do with EMI/EMC/RFI.
The input lag comes from a lagging power factor.
The term 'lagging power factor' is used where the load current lags behind the supply voltage.
This is why with even an online pure Sine wave UPS the issue still exist.
Now I would bet money that 85% of the people facing this issue live in a 1 phase house.
Living in a 3-phase house with 1 phase supplying ONLY your gaming setup will "fix" lagging power factor compared to a 1 phase house that every appliance runs from the same phase, causing even more "input lag" when for example your brother turns on his air conditioner on another room.
There are multiple ways to go for this issue as I am facing it as well.
Ive had electrical engineer's tickets paid to bring him from my country's capital to the island I live in to take a look cause I was sick and
tired of having 6-7 electricians checking my house in the past and suggesting the is nothing wrong.
What I'm telling you the electrical engineer told me.

So how can we improve the power factor?
Improving power factor means reducing the phase difference between voltage and current. Since the majority of loads are of inductive nature, they require some amount of reactive power for them to function. A capacitor or bank of capacitors installed parallel to the load provides this reactive power.

Also I would like to say that you can only fix your house, anything on the grid (neighbors) you cannot control.
So if the electrical network in your area is flooded during the day which it is you will still have issues but less pain full if you fix your houses power factor.

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 05 Aug 2022, 15:04

itsjNs wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 22:22
Hello everyone I've been looking into this thread for a long time but never had an account or felt like posting since I was just testing stuff.

Last week I had some professional electrician over so bare with me.

I'm pretty sure the issues you are all experiencing, myself as well, have nothing to do with EMI/EMC/RFI.
The input lag comes from a lagging power factor.
The term 'lagging power factor' is used where the load current lags behind the supply voltage.
This is why with even an online pure Sine wave UPS the issue still exist.
Now I would bet money that 85% of the people facing this issue live in a 1 phase house.
Living in a 3-phase house with 1 phase supplying ONLY your gaming setup will "fix" lagging power factor compared to a 1 phase house that every appliance runs from the same phase, causing even more "input lag" when for example your brother turns on his air conditioner on another room.
There are multiple ways to go for this issue as I am facing it as well.
Ive had electrical engineer's tickets paid to bring him from my country's capital to the island I live in to take a look cause I was sick and
tired of having 6-7 electricians checking my house in the past and suggesting the is nothing wrong.
What I'm telling you the electrical engineer told me.

So how can we improve the power factor?
Improving power factor means reducing the phase difference between voltage and current. Since the majority of loads are of inductive nature, they require some amount of reactive power for them to function. A capacitor or bank of capacitors installed parallel to the load provides this reactive power.

Also I would like to say that you can only fix your house, anything on the grid (neighbors) you cannot control.
So if the electrical network in your area is flooded during the day which it is you will still have issues but less pain full if you fix your houses power factor.
Ok, finally something new instead of 3.5k faceit elo paranoids. What is PF in your house? According to measurements done by my POCO, PF for L1 in my flat is tg(fi) = -0.16 which means that load current is capacitive thus power factor is leading. I experience huge desync, low hz on high hz monitor and erratic mouse movement. Following this lead perhaps it's about leading power factor instead of lagging power factor?

You wrote
According to attached picture, you misleaded that lagging PF lags BEHIND supply voltage when actually leading PF lags behind.

However that theory is interesting and I will look deeper into it.
Attachments
Difference-Between-Unity-Lagging-Leading-Power-Factor.jpg
Difference-Between-Unity-Lagging-Leading-Power-Factor.jpg (199.51 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Difference-Between-Leading-and-Lagging-Power-Factor-.jpg
Difference-Between-Leading-and-Lagging-Power-Factor-.jpg (117.12 KiB) Viewed 3776 times

fatehasfans

Post by fatehasfans » 11 Aug 2022, 20:11

Could you keep us posted because I know for near certainty that my problems started when my electrical company changed the electric meters in my house...

From this...
old meter.png
old meter.png (68.17 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
to this....
new meter.png
new meter.png (46.74 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
Ever since then I had the floaty mouse and slight input lag on mouse and keyboard (with also the slightest micro-stutter), 5 years later and 3 different PC builds (all from scratch) it's still there.

Any help on this would be fantastic. I know we have a single phase meter but upgrading to a 3 phase meter is apparently not a straight forward process or cheap, one site quoted anything from £7000-£15000 depending on the trench.

This is all over my head but as I said any info would be fantastic. This has been a 5 year nightmare, nothing worse than having the best hardware money can buy only for it to perform poorly and not be able to play games properly - it's all but killed my competitive spirit :'(

Keep up the good work though folks!

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 11 Aug 2022, 21:15

What if you use a power generator or solar panels to bypass the power factor thingy

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 11 Aug 2022, 21:36

Welp, about the power factor and you should be being on one phase for gaming only but what if you are off grid, I have tried lithium battery which made zero difference. What is it guys?

gadpaw

Post by gadpaw » 12 Aug 2022, 03:26

With flat-iron something changes, it is connected to an extension cord
together with a computer and a monitor.

But this -> active energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNh2YV1_DzM

ofc mb placebo

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 14 Aug 2022, 08:04

gadpaw wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 03:26
With flat-iron something changes, it is connected to an extension cord
together with a computer and a monitor.

But this -> active energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNh2YV1_DzM

ofc mb placebo
So you connect a flat iron to the same circuit as your PC & monitor? I don't understand Russlan, couldn't get what the video was saying. I remember reading something about how induction heaters help in reducing harmonics of the 3rd and the 9th on the neutral line. Those harmonics of which are mainly caused by SMPS "Switching Mode Power Supplies" that our PC's and monitor's and practically everything we own now have.
Here's a nice read if you're interested - https://iaeimagazine.org/2002/2002septe ... e-disease/
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini